Tarping tips.. going to give a go soon.

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Tarping tips.. going to give a go soon.

Postby threshold » Thu 22 Jun, 2017 1:32 pm

Hey guys.

Looking to give 'tarping' a go.

Got a shaped tarp SMD gatewood cape. Want to go next weekend, going to spray it with pemetherin for bug protection. And use a ground sheet.

Any other reccomendations for 'roughing it'?

Slightly nervous about bugs even with pemetherin, should maybe hopefully be ok

Any other tips?
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Tarping tips.. going to give a go soon.

Postby Mark F » Thu 22 Jun, 2017 1:51 pm

There shouldn't be many bugs about at the moment so I wouldn't worry too much about this. I always used mine with the net tent inner.

With the Gatewood Cape you need to keep an eye on how the hood is covering the top opening if it is wet and windy. Also, like with all tarps, keep an eye on your groundsheet to ensure it doesn't stray outside the sheltered perimeter of the tarp. I tend to pitch the tarp low to the ground in wet conditions to minimise blow in.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby threshold » Thu 22 Jun, 2017 2:42 pm

Thanks Mark. I got the serenity net tent. But I wanna leave it home so I don't have the luxury or I will just pitch it and then I am sleeping in a tent. And great tip about the ground sheet. I wouldn't have thought about that and would've got soaked if it rains. haha
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby jimmeyer176 » Sun 09 Jul, 2017 7:12 am

Site selection is everything with a tarp, next time you're hiking in the rain observe where the water pools and where it doesn't, groundsheets are useless if you set up in the wrong place.
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Ultralight backpacking