Footwear for UK - Coast to Coast Walk

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Footwear for UK - Coast to Coast Walk

Postby Aushiker » Sat 05 Aug, 2017 1:38 pm

I am investigating footwear options for a planned walk of the UK's (Wainright's Coast to Coast Walk Trail) where I am assuming the walking conditions are touch wetter from my normal experience here in Western Australia :)

I see a lot of mentions of boots in discussions about the Coast to Coast Walk Trail and I haven't walked here in WA in boots for years and well haven't done much walking for a few years either having got more into bicycling touring/bikepacking. All that said we are looking at doing the Coast to Coast probably next UK summer so starting to explore the gear upgrades I need: shoes being the first.

Here in WA I have been using a pair of New Balance MO889GR but not sure they would be up to the rigors of the Lake Districts. I also have a pair of Scarpa Crux approach shoes which I actually use for cycling.

I am wondering if the Scarpa's would tick the box or is there a better option today?
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Footwear for UK - Coast to Coast Walk

Postby ribuck » Sat 05 Aug, 2017 4:15 pm

I did the coast to coast in a pair of cheap "waterproof walking shoes" that I got from a budget outdoors shop (Mountain Equipment) for £30. They did the job perfectly. They were like a cross between running shoes and boots.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby photohiker » Sat 05 Aug, 2017 5:04 pm

Walked across Scotland twice. First was in Scarpa boots, but moved on to Salomon X Ultra Mid.

Definitely prefer lighter and more flexible footwear.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aidan » Sat 05 Aug, 2017 5:24 pm

Take good sun protection Andrew.
I got the worst sunburn I've ever had when staying in the UK.
Through the hair and even my scalp was burnt.
Aidan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby whynotwalk » Sat 05 Aug, 2017 5:26 pm

I walked the Portuguese Caminho last year, and wore Scarpa Gore-tex mid-weight, non-leather boots (Kailash model, I think) and lower cut Gore-Tex shoes. I forget the model, but they were something like these http://www.paddypallin.com.au/scarpa-vortex-gore-tex-shoe.html If you search around and take your time you can get these at very competitive prices.

Both were fantastic in the warm, and on cobbles, road, dirt and mud. And they also coped very well in the cooler, wetter weather in Galicia. To be honest I didn't need the ankle support of the Kailash, but they ended up being my favourites - just so comfortable. That said, some people - including my wife - find Scarpa too narrow. I did plenty of local practice walking to make sure they would work well for a long distance walk.

Enjoy your walk, and all the fun of preparing and anticipating!

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Aushiker » Sat 05 Aug, 2017 11:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know boots are no longer required ... will do some walking in my Scarpa's and decide if they are for me or I should get something else. Thanks also @Aidan for the tip on sunscream. That one hadn't occurred to me.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby rcaffin » Sun 06 Aug, 2017 8:09 pm

Hi Andrew
We have walked across the UK in several directions - in the rain too (Wales is WET). Joggers were fine.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 5:30 am

I rarely wear boots. In fact right now I'm posting from Weymouth, where I'm walking the South West Coast Path. I'm wearing Dunlop Volleys and Dunlop KT-26s, alternating day-by-day, and they suit me perfectly for this walk.

But for the coast-to-coast, particularly the western half through the Lake District, it was nice not to have wet feet all day, day after day. If it's not the mud, it's the long wet grass, the bogs, or the unjumpable puddles. Sorry, I got the supplier name wrong in my previous post, it should be Mountain Warehouse not Mountain Equipment. Here are the £30 waterproof shoes which I used for the coast-to-coast:

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/curle ... t%20brown/

But whatever you wear, you'll have a great trip. On a Sunday, you sometimes even see ladies in dress shoes going out onto the fells for a short walk to "take the air" :)
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Watertank » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:50 am

I have walked the C2C twice - the last time was just over 12 months ago. The first time I wore Scarpa leather boots plus Scarpa gortex shoes; the last time I wore La Sportiva Wildcats, https://www.sportiva.com/wildcat.html
The wildcats were perfect for the C2C - yes you may get wet feet but they were certainly better than the Scarpa Gortex shoes which filled with water so it felt like it was walking in a puddle. Most of the walk is fine underfoot - the only really tricky bit is at Nine Standards Rigg and it can be so boggy there that it doesn't matter what you wear. I used hiking poles on both occasions - I recommend using them. It is a great walk - I wanted to turn around and do it again. Are you camping or bnbing? If the latter there are some very good luggage transfer companies available.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Aushiker » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 9:50 pm

Watertank wrote:I used hiking poles on both occasions - I recommend using them. It is a great walk - I wanted to turn around and do it again. Are you camping or bnbing? If the latter there are some very good luggage transfer companies available.

Thanks for your feedback. We plan to use poles, Anne already has a pair from walking in Nepal and I will need to get a pair as my old ones have moved on. We will be B&B ... Anne is not a camper :) Will probably make use of either Packhorse or Shepa for the luggage transfer.

I think I will go with my Scarpa Cruz shoes. Might look into "waterproof" socks but then my experience with SealSkinz on the bike was of riding in a bath. Maybe wearing gaiters will help here.

Oh what sort of timeframe did you take to walk the C2C? We are looking at an easy 15 days with maybe a rest day or two to take in a few local sights.
Last edited by Aushiker on Tue 08 Aug, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 9:51 pm

rcaffin wrote:Hi Andrew
We have walked across the UK in several directions - in the rain too (Wales is WET). Joggers were fine.

Thanks Roger.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 9:51 pm

ribuck wrote:I rarely wear boots. In fact right now I'm posting from Weymouth, where I'm walking the South West Coast Path. I'm wearing Dunlop Volleys and Dunlop KT-26s, alternating day-by-day, and they suit me perfectly for this walk.

I am jealous :)
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Watertank » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 11:06 pm

Aushiker, happy to share any knowledge and tips and my schedule if you would like to PM me,
Cheers
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Aushiker » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 2:27 pm

Watertank wrote:Aushiker, happy to share any knowledge and tips and my schedule if you would like to PM me,
Cheers

Thanks. Done.

Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker

Return to Ultralight backpacking