Light weight scrub basher pack ? Recommendations sought

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Light weight scrub basher pack ? Recommendations sought

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 5:31 pm

Considering buying another pack specifically for walks that involve pushing through budawang style scrub and or a bit of moderate dragging the pack over rock etc. Ideally around 50-70 litres. Closer to 50L would be best considering most of my trips are under 4 days. So Im wondering what the range is at the moment for light but scrub worthy ?

So far looked at

Oneplanet Overshadow
https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/packs/bushwalking/overshadow/
- 1.4 KG
- 50 L
- looks robust and comfortable.
- 500D nylon with 1000D reinforcing.
- Good harness. Not the most breathable.. but its robust
- Not sure I like the water bottle holders...
I doubt I can dislocate my shoulders enough to reach.. Why cant other pack manufactures make holders that are set at a angle like Osprey do..
- No hip belt pockets
- Aussie manufacturer :)
overshadow.JPG
overshadow.JPG (26.64 KiB) Viewed 30936 times

HMG Southwest 2400in the more durable 150D Dyneema black
https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/2400-southwest.html#product_tabs_specs
- 870 grams
- 48.8L
- Looks robust though doubt its in the same league as the OP for durability. (though i could be wrong)
- Ok harness with aluminum stays. No back padding sculpted for ventilation. just has 1/2 inch foam pad. Con is very sweaty back etc
- Like the hip belt pockets.
- Water bottle holders also appear hard to reach but atleast they are angeled. (I prefer bottles to internal bladders as I can see how much water i have left.)
- Claims to be waterproof.
- Expensive and US cottage manufacturer so limited warranty options.
- looks cool ! very important :lol:
Hyperlight 2400.JPG
Hyperlight 2400.JPG (22.1 KiB) Viewed 30936 times

Ive also thought about the ZPack Arc Haul but doubt its durable enough ? Other than that I liked the comfort and features.
http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_haul_zip.shtml

Does anyone have personal experience with any of these packs ? and used them in scrub etc.. Also any other light weight scrub warriors worth considering ?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Light weight scrub basher pack ? Recommendations sought

Postby melinda » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi there wildwanderer,
I spend quite a bit of time in the Budawangs, I also luv my LW gear.
For longer trips I use a Gossamer Gear Mariposa.
https://www.gossamergear.com/collection ... t-backpack
I was so impressed with it, that I ended up buying their Kumo for 2/3 day trips.
https://www.gossamergear.com/collection ... t-backpack
That Robic material is a lot tougher than it looks.
I have sewn a layer of dyneema gridstop on the bottom of both packs because this is usually the area that gets the most knocked around.
Only had a small hole in the Mariposa and simply patched it with tenacious repair tape. That patch has lasted for atleast 2 years and still going strong!
http://www.mountaindesigns.com/store/pr ... cious-tape
No LW pack will last for ever because the materials tend to degrade with the sun.
But having said that, prefer to replace them than my knees :shock:
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Fri 22 Sep, 2017 10:57 am

melinda wrote:That Robic material is a lot tougher than it looks.

Agree. I've dragged my ULA robic pack through the budawangs quite a few times with no damage, and anyway worst case would be that you might have to do minor repairs. No need to haul a heavy canvas bag unless you're planning on being out for more than a few days and carrying extra weight accordingly.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 5:52 pm

I've been thinking about that one planet pack, harness seems overbuilt for a UL pack, or any pack for that matter.

I like the water bottles holders being forward of the walkers COG.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 7:36 pm

Maybe switch from bottles to a bladder so you don't have to reach? Might broaden your pack options.
I've started using a 2lt platy bottle plus the hose instead of camelbak bladders. Also have a 1lt as spare/last water so just have to stop and switch the hose when I'm running low.

(I fancy the osprey mutant series but no side or hip pockets). Recently picked up an Overboard 20lt waterproof backpack as a day pack. Good harness and back foam ventilation for what it is. Think they go up to 30lt.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 7:49 pm

Here is a link:

http://www.over-board.com.au

They have a 45lt and their biggest is 60lt at 1.15kg. Should be tough-as for off-track and all weather to boot!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jeremyw » Sun 24 Sep, 2017 1:50 pm

I'd probably go with an osprey talon 44 - just clip a few straps. The 2017 edition looks like it fixed most of the harness issues it had in the previous iteration. Although, iirc, it still has a sleeping bag zip entry (god knows why.)
jeremyw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 24 Sep, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks All.

- The Gosomer gear pack does look interesting. Good to know the robic fabric is strong stuff. unusual to see the side pockets are asymmetrical, I guess to hold a tent etc.

- Not sure im sold on a dry bag as a everyday scrub worthy hiking pack but it would certainly come in handy for pack rafting or anytime your constantly in/near water.

- Re Osprey 44 talon, How I wish Osprey would ditch the mesh side pockets in their lightweight pack range. I have exos and its brilliant except each time I encounter the inevitable branch on a scrubby food pad a bit more of the mesh rips. Not sure it would survive many serious offtrack outings. Their 2018 leviathan looks interesting, virtually the same as the exos except tougher material, no mesh and lighter. However no idea how far into 2018 its release is and has no hip belt pockets which is a negative.

- Im liking the Z Packs Arc haul zip more and more. It has all the features I'm after and reading reviews its seems its durable enough. but A$500+ delivered is a bit more than I want to spend. Also they only come with a one year warranty, not that Id ship it back to the US for repairs but it does indicate they don't expect their packs to last years and years.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jeremyw » Sun 24 Sep, 2017 11:01 pm

If you really want something light and slippery I'd check out the Patagonia ascentionist line, more built for alpine but should be able to handle rocks ok.

Also similar, Montbell versalite, they make a 40. I have the 20. Love all but the lack of side pockets and it's drawstring that drives me bonkers.

Those two suggestions are more aimed at day pack use but they do have the larger volume versions that I haven't really evaluated fully. Though you can find them on a shelf here which helps!
jeremyw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby melinda » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi wildwanderer,
Gossamer Gear used to call the long asymmetrical pocket on the Mariposa a 'tent quiver'.
And yeap ... it's great for tents.
But really comes into it's own when you are in a place like the SW of Tas and packing a wet tent day in, day out.
You isolate your wet gear on the outside of the pack, helps to keep everything else dry.
The Zpacks Arc Haul-Zip and HMG Southwest look fine too!
Lots of choices these days in quality LW packs :)
Melinda
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda

Postby djtidau » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 11:45 am

Whilst not off trail I have the HMG Southwest 3400 and took it on my weekend trek on the Great Walk Gold Coast. It seemed to hold up fine. Only one of the pockets on the side is angled, at times I was able to reach my bottle and at other times I couldn't comfortable. I end up just removing a strap and twisting around the hip belt to bring it closer as I walked.

I had wanted the more durable one and would get it purely for piece of mind if it were available at the time.

As far as the bottle issue, next time i will just be tying a little piece of cord around the neck of my bottle to pull it out. My hydration setup is a 2l platypus soft bottle inside the pack, and a 750ml titanium bottle in the side.

Overall I loved the pack, it feels great on the back, held everything well, the elastic pockets front and side were perfect for me. I can't imagine what more I'd want in a pack at this stage.
djtidau
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby redrock » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 3:51 pm

djtidau wrote:Whilst not off trail I have the HMG Southwest 3400...

Overall I loved the pack, it feels great on the back....

I'm also looking for a "light weight scrub basher pack" and was looking at this pack or the 4400 version to support heavier loads up to 23kg loads 10+days. Doesn't look very comfortable though...

What kind of weight did you have for your trek djtidau?

WildWanderer, another option is Cold Cold World's Chernobyl Pack (US $190, 50L, 1.47kg, not aussie made though). Also 500d cordura, but OnePlanet's has the 1000d reinforcing and built for aussie conditions.
http://www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/chernobyl.htm
redrock
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby djtidau » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 5:41 pm

A rough look at what I took with me (not exact, but very close), is the following: https://www.trailpost.com/packs/387

My baseweight was roughly around 5.5-6kg, i was doing 11hr days on my feet and couldn't fault the pack at all. Provided you kept your base down, I don't see a reason why the 3400 wouldn't be able to pack enough for 10+ day trips. Of course it just comes down to volume after that. To give you an idea though, my pack was completely rolled down at the top, so volume was a non-issue for me. I do like to utilise the outer pockets well, but as I said - no complaints here.

One concern I did have with the black pack (the HMG one in particular), was related to how it would hold the heat. In the real world though I have no idea if this is much of an issue.
djtidau
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby davidf » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 10:39 pm

I have hmg gear I love it, for over night trips where the bush is crook I use a canvas Hightops pack, not lite
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby redrock » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 4:03 pm

Thanks djtidau, davidf.

It's mostly a volume issue. In the Kimberley's it was ok, but 12 days in the Arthurs it was big challenge! Different environments so understandably different requirements.

I'm leaning towards the white HMG packs as well for that same reason.
redrock
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Stew63 » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 1:23 pm

wildwanderer - I have an ArcHaul Zip (moss green) which I used on Hannels Spur back in Feb. Not sure if you're familiar with Hannels Spur but it's a pretty solid bushbash for about 10hrs as much of it is now overgrown. Pack still looks as good as new. Disclaimer: I did not encounter any blackberries.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 8:14 am

Stew63 wrote:wildwanderer - I have an ArcHaul Zip (moss green) which I used on Hannels Spur back in Feb. Not sure if you're familiar with Hannels Spur but it's a pretty solid bushbash for about 10hrs as much of it is now overgrown. Pack still looks as good as new. Disclaimer: I did not encounter any blackberries.

Thanks stew63. Im seriously looking at the ArcHaul Zip.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 5:29 pm

wildwanderer wrote:
Stew63 wrote:wildwanderer - I have an ArcHaul Zip (moss green) which I used on Hannels Spur back in Feb. Not sure if you're familiar with Hannels Spur but it's a pretty solid bushbash for about 10hrs as much of it is now overgrown. Pack still looks as good as new. Disclaimer: I did not encounter any blackberries.

Thanks stew63. Im seriously looking at the ArcHaul Zip.

If you have any questions about it I'm happy to help :)

I can also HIGHLY recommend KS Packs (Japan) - custom made UltraLight packs by a Frenchman living permanently in Japan - to order at a reasonable price. Not sure about hardcore scrub bashing but Laurent makes brilliant packs with a myriad of options and custom designs - bear with his website it's bit 'clunky'.
Last edited by Stew63 on Mon 06 Nov, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stew63 » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 5:35 pm

wildwanderer - if you look on YouTube there a few video reviews on the Arc Haul Zip that might be useful. The one by Cesar Valdez sold me on this pack although his is just slightly different to mine.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking