Pot comparisons

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Pot comparisons

Postby Orion » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 1:01 pm

For solo UL trips I had been using the infamous Heineken Can "pot". It's very light, about 28g with an Al foil lid, but it was always a bit of a challenge to deal with. So I ordered a small titanium pot, the Mountain Laurel Designs Ti 850. I was disappointed to discover that 850ml is the total volume; the working volume is about 700ml which was insufficient for my needs.

So I got another pot, the Evernew Ti 1.3L. It's larger than needed for one person but it was a perfect size for popping popcorn. I took it on a trip and was pretty sure I used less fuel than with the Heineken can. So when I got I home I did some tests. And the Evernew pot, with it's larger diameter, proved to be significantly more fuel efficient, at least at room temperature and zero wind conditions. I added a foam insulating lid that weighed ~10g (compared to the ~40g stock lid) and squeezed out a bit more.

The lessons I learned are not newsworthy to the informed. All else being equal, a pot that has a larger diameter is more fuel efficient. And, up to a point, it is more fuel efficient to turn the stove output down, down, down. Of course in the field, where thermal loss is larger, that "point" will be different.

Anyway, for your entertainment and possible edification, here are the data.
The dashed lines indicate boil times.

Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Ultralight backpacking