Trailstars/Square tarps vs Caravan Park crowds.....

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Trailstars/Square tarps vs Caravan Park crowds.....

Postby Davidf61 » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 6:50 pm

Went for ride on the bikes this weekend, took a mate along trying to extol the virtues of lighter everything. Started with the basics like toothpaste tube size right up to quilts and both my Trailstar and a Terra Rosa square tarp.

So we set up in a caravan park close to the town we stayed in [ wanted to watch the World Cup Final ]. Found a piece of reasonable greenery to put them both up, showed him a few different way with both, I think I was getting through to him what it was all about.

Anyways, what took me back a bit was the attitude from the mostly permanent park residents to the tarps, not quite open hostility but definitely we were a pair of "idiots" with no idea on how to camp [ coming from bloke who had a 50' fifth wheeler setup! ] to "lowering the tone" of the park with our low rent accommodation [ ie get a "proper" tent, from Oztrail :lol: ....] Tried to be civil and explain things but kind of snapped in the end and told them to politely #### off.

Somewhat disappointing.
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Trailstars/Square tarps vs Caravan Park crowds.....

Postby jeremyw » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 12:25 am

If I'm road tripping I try to avoid caravan parks with a lot of "locals" or "regulars". They're not very nice places to stay.

Pretty standard attitude.
jeremyw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Return to Ultralight backpacking