Looking for stove recommendation

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Looking for stove recommendation

Postby rurik » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 9:41 pm

Hi all,

I just got myself a GSI Minimalist set (https://www.rei.com/product/798273/gsi-outdoors-halulite-minimalist-cookset) and as I have a problem with freeze dried food [I am allergic to some preservatives that are common in them] I hope to use if for more that just heating water to dump in a pouch. As such I am looking for a small stove that does not throw out tons of concentrated heat as I need to reheat/simmer food to cook it.

So I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a lower BTU stove that has good simmer control and does not concentrate the heat in one spot? I currently have an optimus lite and that is the heat distribution I like but has crap simmer control.

Thanks in advance
rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Looking for stove recommendation

Postby DaveNoble » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:08 pm

The BRS stoves available on eBay are very light - 25 g and cheap. I use my one for boiling and simmering and it works fine. (Maximum) Output is supposed to be around 2700 W (which is around 9200 BTU per hour, if you prefer imperial units)
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rurik » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:19 pm

DaveNoble wrote:The BRS stoves available on eBay are very light - 25 g and cheap. I use my one for boiling and simmering and it works fine. (Maximum) Output is supposed to be around 2700 W (which is around 9200 BTU per hour, if you prefer imperial units)

Does it get a hotspot or does it spread the heat well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby DaveNoble » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:29 pm

I think the spread of flame is reasonable given its size. I have no problems cooking using a small titanium billy.
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rurik » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 11:57 pm

DaveNoble wrote:I think the spread of flame is reasonable given its size. I have no problems cooking using a small titanium billy.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby threshold » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 5:19 pm

plus one for the brs. I have a kovea stove which sits at home while my brs gets the action.
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Rileyr » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 7:13 pm

+1 brs. Super cheap and light

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby neilmny » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 7:17 pm

I've had one like this for about 5 years. It works great and has piezo ignition. Uses about 10 grams of fuel to boil 2 cups of water.
https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Foldable-Camp ... 2114540032
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:32 pm

For most gas stoves you can safely ignore the heat output - it's just marketing disinformation. If you turn it up it just wastes gas by sending flames up the side of the pot. You need to find the sweet spot where flames spread across the bottom of the pot but not up the sides. This is usually about half throttle although it depends on the diameter of the pot - wider pots are better and can take a bit more heat.

+1 on the brs but with ALL gas and shellite stoves you need to dismantle them to make them field maintainable. Check the valve spindle and o rings are lubricated, the jet is clear and everything only tight enough so you can undo it with what you have in the field and the inner surfaces are clean. Occasionally there can be a bit of milling gunk left inside which will block the jet. Carry a couple of spare o rings to suit (rough edges on gas canisters can chew them up) and a short length of flexible electrical cable works with filament able to fit down the jet. This adds about 2g to you repair kit so inconsequential.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 2:54 am

Mark F wrote:For most gas stoves you can safely ignore the heat output - it's just marketing disinformation. If you turn it up it just wastes gas by sending flames up the side of the pot. You need to find the sweet spot where flames spread across the bottom of the pot but not up the sides. This is usually about half throttle although it depends on the diameter of the pot - wider pots are better and can take a bit more heat.

It's my impression that the sweet spot is considerably lower than half throttle in non-winter environments.

Testing indoors with a BRS-3000T I found that the peak efficiency was below 20% of maximum for a wide pot and under 15% of maximum for narrow pots. I never measured full throttle on my BRS-3000T but it output 2800W at something less than full power.

The BRS-3000T is a nice, light, inexpensive stove that has excellent simmer control. But it's flimsy. You have to be cautious screwing it on a canister as the threads are susceptible to damage. And it's three small supports result in less stable pots. I've had enough issues with mine that I've decided that my 70g Snow Peak Gigapower is worth the extra weight on all but the most minimalist outings.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby warnabrother » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 8:57 am

I bought a BRS after all the fuss I saw..
and do not like it..

they look and feel cheap.. the pot supports bent slightly after two uses and the unit itself gets incredibly hot and heats the canister up beyond what I am comfortable with..
add to that an ignition source, the weight goes up to nearly 40g.. fo a 20g weight penalty, I'll stick with a quality unit like the Soto windmaster which has an ignitor, works far better in the wind and is a hair over 60g. It also has a micro regulator which allows finer control and use in colder, higher conditions..
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whitefang » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 9:25 pm

warnabrother wrote:I bought a BRS after all the fuss I saw..
and do not like it..

they look and feel cheap.. the pot supports bent slightly after two uses and the unit itself gets incredibly hot and heats the canister up beyond what I am comfortable with..
add to that an ignition source, the weight goes up to nearly 40g.. fo a 20g weight penalty, I'll stick with a quality unit like the Soto windmaster which has an ignitor, works far better in the wind and is a hair over 60g. It also has a micro regulator which allows finer control and use in colder, higher conditions..

It looks and feels cheap because it is. It is a UL stove and like a lot of UL gear needs to be treated accordingly. There are numerous articles online that mention that the BRS should only be used on moderate heat due to the possibility of the pot supports bending.

Cheap, light, durable, pick two...
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 2:46 am

whitefang wrote:There are numerous articles online that mention that the BRS should only be used on moderate heat due to the possibility of the pot supports bending.

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of reports of the pot supports deforming under normal use, presumably due to poor design or poor QC of the alloy:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/top ... -the-dust/

It's also interesting to read that I'm not the only one who has experienced cases where individual canisters simply would not seal. That's not a fun experience when you have only one canister. It's happened to me twice and has forced me to always test each canister with the stove prior to a trip. It's one of the reasons I've more or less given up on the stove for regular use.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby warnabrother » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 7:47 am

Orion wrote:
whitefang wrote:There are numerous articles online that mention that the BRS should only be used on moderate heat due to the possibility of the pot supports bending.

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of reports of the pot supports deforming under normal use, presumably due to poor design or poor QC of the alloy:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/top ... -the-dust/

It's also interesting to read that I'm not the only one who has experienced cases where individual canisters simply would not seal. That's not a fun experience when you have only one canister. It's happened to me twice and has forced me to always test each canister with the stove prior to a trip. It's one of the reasons I've more or less given up on the stove for regular use.

yep.. the threads on the inside of mine were horrible..
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 8:09 am

warnabrother wrote:
Orion wrote:

yep.. the threads on the inside of mine were horrible..

So .. what are you using instead? While commenting on faults is usefull .. more usefull would be a recommendation.

There is this https://www.snowys.com.au/furno-stove?g ... gIYjvD_BwE at 99grams.

--------------------
Some links
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=26500&p=338752#p338752
http://thenextchallenge.org/camping-gas ... /#topmount

A Kovea spider stove is around 160 grams - puts the canister away from the stove and has a wide base. I don't have extensive use with it as yet so cannot comment on the longevity. There are various Kovea stoves of different configurations too.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Zapruda » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 9:04 am

Warin wrote:So .. what are you using instead? While commenting on faults is usefull .. more usefull would be a recommendation.

There is this https://www.snowys.com.au/furno-stove?g ... gIYjvD_BwE at 99grams.

--------------------
Some links
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=26500&p=338752#p338752
http://thenextchallenge.org/camping-gas ... /#topmount

A Kovea spider stove is around 160 grams - puts the canister away from the stove and has a wide base. I don't have extensive use with it as yet so cannot comment on the longevity. There are various Kovea stoves of different configurations too.

He said he was using a Soto Windmaster. I use one as well and its terrific. It even works well in the snow. 67 grams and around $80.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 11:50 am

Zapruda wrote:
Warin wrote:So .. what are you using instead? While commenting on faults is usefull .. more usefull would be a recommendation.

He said he was using a Soto Windmaster. I use one as well and its terrific. It even works well in the snow. 67 grams and around $80.

Hard to see who has what .. so summary;

BRS 25g
+ DaveNoble , threshold , Rileyr , Mark F ,
- Orion , warnabrother , Zapruda, internet warnings

$80 Soto Windmaster 67g
+ Zapruda , warnabrother

Snow Peak Gigapower 70g
+ Orion ,

Snowpeak LiteMax
+ whitefang

$8 https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Foldable-Camp ... 2114540032
+ neilmny
Last edited by Warin on Fri 08 Dec, 2017 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 12:00 pm

Warin wrote:BRS 25g
- Orion , warnabrother , whitefang
[

I had a BRS fail on me, so you can add me to the negative list. After a few uses it developed a hole or crack in an o-ring and was spraying gas everywhere. This happened two days from the car...
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 12:10 pm

Zapruda wrote:
Warin wrote:BRS 25g
- Orion , warnabrother , whitefang
[

I had a BRS fail on me, so you can add me to the negative list. After a few uses it developed a hole or crack in an o-ring and was spraying gas everywhere. This happened two days from the car...

A bit hard to comment without seeing the stove and o ring but usually damage to o rings is due to either overtightening the canister, a rough edge on the canister or a bit of grit getting into the system. I have had that happen on a couple of occasions but not with my brs. Even if the o ring was faulty to start, unlikely as it survived a few uses, it is ultimately a part that needs occasional replacement. As previously suggested carry a couple of spares - they are cheap and weigh nothing. It can also be useful to put a tiny bit of silicone grease on the o ring to reduce friction and drag when screwing the canister on and off. You also need to be careful about cleanliness - stove always in a ziploc or similar when not in use, keep the cap on the canister and give the canister top a puff of breath before assembling the stove.
Last edited by Mark F on Thu 07 Dec, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 12:14 pm

Mark F wrote:A bit hard to comment without seeing the stove and o ring but usually damage to o rings is due to either overtightening the canister or a rough edge on the canister. Even if the o ring was faulty it is ultimately a part that needs occasional replacement. As previously suggested carry a couple of spares - they are cheap and weigh nothing.

Yet in 15 years of using at least 10 different stoves I have never had this issue. I will chalk it up to the poor QC of the BRS stoves. This was only after using the stove maybe 3 times.

Stoves are just another burden anyway. I live the no cook / stoveless / cold soak life now :)
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 1:11 pm

Certainly, no stove is perfect and without any possibility of failure. But my sense is that the BRS-3000T presents an unnecessary risk of failure in exchange for a savings of ~50g.

I've had some incidents with gas stoves over the years, but the rate of issues with my BRS stove exceeds those others by a long shot.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnrs » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 4:20 pm

And how about something from Firemaple Folks??
http://www.fire-maple.com/en/productsinfo.aspx?pid=9
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby whitefang » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 8:58 pm

I actually use a Snowpeak LiteMax. I haven’t yet bought a BRS, I was just making a comment about the known possible issues. Apparently the QC issues with vending pot supports only happens in certain stoves so you need to test it at home.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 10:20 am

Kovea superlite & Edelrid kiro ti are both great compact stoves...the Kiro winning out on flame adjustability.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lamont » Wed 17 Jan, 2018 3:19 pm

Is it too late?? SOTO Amicus -big tick so far!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby warnabrother » Thu 18 Jan, 2018 9:49 am

Orion wrote:Certainly, no stove is perfect and without any possibility of failure. But my sense is that the BRS-3000T presents an unnecessary risk of failure in exchange for a savings of ~50g.

I've had some incidents with gas stoves over the years, but the rate of issues with my BRS stove exceeds those others by a long shot.

my sentiment exactly.. I'm happy to "sacrifice" the 50g for reliability.. the BRS is just a poor quality, cheap chinese product that is popular because it is light.. if it were 50g heavier, no one would buy them due to the hundreds of reported quality issues - only have to check the US forums for all sorts of dramas
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking