Standard light duty blue tarp

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Standard light duty blue tarp

Postby Rileyr » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi all,
I am wondering if any one has used the standard blue, light or even medium duty tarps from bunnings etc as a tarp setup?

I grabbed a 1.7x2.3m light duty tarp from bunnings for like $3 the other day. With some shock cord and tie outs it weighs in at only 300g.

Its obviously not going to be bulletproof, but man thats cheap and fairly light!

Any one used them?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Standard light duty blue tarp

Postby Neo » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 7:13 pm

Nope not as a main shelter but pitched correctly it should shed light rain an hold the dew away from where you are sleeping underneath which is the purpose!

Edit: the size is a bit small for coverage (in windy rain anyway).

I picked myself a 3x3 STS tarp at 440g for the extra space and off-the-shelf delivery. For locally made check out Tiergear and his new designs on facebook and instagram.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Rileyr » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 7:48 pm

Yeah tier gear have some great stuff. If/when I invest in a new tarp it will probably be from them

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Avatar » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 9:08 pm

OK as a groundsheet. You might also rig it in drizzle for a lunch stop or kitchen. I've seen these used for a bit of UV shade but I prefer Tykek homewrap with a few grommets bunged in for this job.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 5:04 am

Avatar wrote:OK as a groundsheet. You might also rig it in drizzle for a lunch stop or kitchen. I've seen these used for a bit of UV shade but I prefer Tykek homewrap with a few grommets bunged in for this job.
I would like to have a mess around with tyvek - seems to be hard to come by

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lord Backcountry » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 12:35 pm

Hiya -

I started out with a "Bunning's blue" tarp and it was great.

So very versatile and light: I keep it close packed and used it as groundsheet when camping on prickly ground; a sun shade on a baking day; a seat for snow, sand and prickles; added vestibule space for the tent on wet days; and as a throw over hoochie waiting for drizzle and white-out to pass while enjoying a cup a tea.

Apart from rum, it was probably my best hike quality-fun-enhancer bit of kit for overnights.

As expected, quality was poor and I started leaving blue strands of PVC behind me. So I ordered some tyvec from the US (ebay.com) and am I'm experimenting with that at the moment (ground sheet plus vestibule /verandah to attach to my tent).

cheers
Lord Backcountry
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby neilmny » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 1:22 pm

Rileyr wrote:
Avatar wrote:OK as a groundsheet. You might also rig it in drizzle for a lunch stop or kitchen. I've seen these used for a bit of UV shade but I prefer Tykek homewrap with a few grommets bunged in for this job.
I would like to have a mess around with tyvek - seems to be hard to come by

Simon at Tiergear has the soft Tyvek https://www.tiergear.com.au/11/products ... -per-metre
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rileyr » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 5:48 pm

Lord Backcountry wrote:Hiya -

Apart from rum, it was probably my best hike quality-fun-enhancer bit of kit for overnights.

cheers

Now thats saying something!

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 6:35 pm

neilmny wrote:Simon at Tiergear has the soft Tyvek https://www.tiergear.com.au/11/products ... -per-metre

So cheap!

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking