Ultamid 4 first run

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Ultamid 4 first run

Postby Ellobuddha » Mon 25 Dec, 2017 5:11 pm

Finally got an Ultamid 4. Have had a Ultamid 2 for a few years but wanted more room for the girlfriend and I. A group of us went up Ramshead last weekend. The extra room is so good. Is expensive but very versatile.
Attachments
PSX_20171216_202657.jpg
PSX_20171218_231247.jpg
PSX_20171217_172702.jpg
Ellobuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Ultamid 4 first run

Postby icefest » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 6:17 am

Nice, I've been eyeing one for a while now.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Franco » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 8:09 am

Nice photos.
You should send them in to Mike at HMG.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 6:13 pm

I've just recently started to consider this type of shelter for myself and two of our kids (and hopefully having enough room for our daughter to also join us in coming years. Exactly how roomy is it? Do you use an inner tent?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ellobuddha » Thu 04 Jan, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi Strider.

Would be heaps of room for three. My girlfriend and I sleep on the back side of the centre pole on a Exped duo plus double mat which is huge. There is still the whole front half to utilise for packs/eating/others such as kids. This is with the innernet being used as well. Using without the net is far more roomy again. I bought the HMG inner net which they have only been making for a short time. A mate has a Bearpaw one which is slightly smaller and they comfortably sleep three in it (his 6foot son included). Specs off site for innernet are 256 x 256cm.

You could sleep 4 no problem. Maybe 3 kids on one side but more comfortable for 4. With the width you could probably get packs at their feet if only younger kids.
Ellobuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Ultralight backpacking