Day Pack for fishing

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Day Pack for fishing

Postby warnesy » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 9:47 am

So for some time now I’ve been using a Macpac Amp Race 25 for my daypack when I’m out hike fishing.

It is great, the pockets are the perfect size to fit some fishing stuff in, 25 litres is probably a bit more than I need, love the waist strap (which has the pockets).

The downside is the weight. It is 1070g. Not only is it heavier than my Gossamer Gear Mariposa that carries all my stuff, but it is actually now the heaviest thing I carry, full stop.

So, the big question is what to get. I want something that has pockets and a waist strap, is comfortable with a little weight (will carry water, rain jacket, lunch, first aid kit, PLB and a fly box and a few other bits and pieces.

The Gossamer Gear Summit II is something that I’ve been eyeing off, but are there any other options people would suggest?

Thanks
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Day Pack for fishing

Postby neilmny » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 9:56 am

Osprey make good gear.
Something like this maybe https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/osprey ... 0568-Tahoe weighs 1lb. (less than 500gm?)
I have no affiliations with Opsrey or Wild Earth.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby andrewa » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 1:22 pm

andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 6:14 pm

I just weighed my Macpac AMP race 25 and it was 660gm empty.You didn't weigh yours full of gear did you?
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby warnesy » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 7:52 pm

I don’t think so I’ll have to weigh it again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Sun 21 Jan, 2018 10:21 pm

Have a comfy Osprey Stratos. Mine is 34L but the smaller is about 26.
Also have an Overboard 20L which is quite comfortable and has a waist strap (sits around my belly because the pack is small). Bonus is it's waterproof too, got it as an all-rounder daypack.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby headwerkn » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 12:21 pm

What sort of fishing are you doing? In the past I've used a Fishpond Wasatch fly fishing vestpack... basically a fly vest with a decent backpack on the back.

http://fishpondusa.com/product/detail/w ... -pack/2047

Definitely enough space for most day-packing... however as most of my serious fishing adventures in recent years have been multiday I just don't use it any more - a few tools on a landyard and a small fly box in my pocket suffices.

Cheers, Ben.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby warnesy » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 9:41 pm

Yeah, i've had a fishpond in the past, but prefer a basic daypack with front waistbelt pockets.

I weighed it again and got 920... go figure. Not the easiest thing to weight on the kitchen scales.

Andrew - I must have missed that a few years ago. That's nice, but I don't have the skills unfortunately. Now if you would like to make me a 20lt one...

Thanks all for the suggestions, still not sure I've spotted exactly what i'm after.
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rick » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 1:51 pm

Hey Andrew,

I sometimes use an Osprey Stratos 24l, particularly when cold, wet weather is forecast (or when your Dad is in the state). Helps me carry all the "just in case items" with ease. Comes with waistband pockets. I don't like using it though, I'm more minimalistic these days.

For every other situation I use my Simms Headwaters Sling Pack. It fits lunch, plb, small fly boxes, dunny paper etc.

I am finding it a bit small though and when it is full the whole sling action gets a bit cumbersome. I'm currently on the lookout for a slightly bigger one. The larger version is 15l. Though I think these have been superseded by the Waypoints Pack.

I know......I'm no help! :)
Rick
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby warnesy » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 10:03 am

Thanks Rick. Lots of options but so hard to choose what would be perfect. Will have to check out the waypoints pack.

warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cajun » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 5:25 pm

Not that I have used mine for fishing but I could see the Aarn Marathon Magic 22l working for you. Front pockets for fly boxes etc. water food and clothing in the back.
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rob1970 » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 10:03 am

warnesy wrote:The downside is the weight. It is 1070g. Not only is it heavier than my Gossamer Gear Mariposa that carries all my stuff, but it is actually now the heaviest thing I carry, full stop.

... and here I was thinking it was the beer, salami, cheese, cheese, port, calzone, steak, potatoes, sticky date and plum pudding that added to your pack weight???

Damn heavy day Pack! :shock: :lol: :lol:
rob1970
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby warnesy » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 9:23 pm

rob1970 wrote:
warnesy wrote:The downside is the weight. It is 1070g. Not only is it heavier than my Gossamer Gear Mariposa that carries all my stuff, but it is actually now the heaviest thing I carry, full stop.

... and here I was thinking it was the beer, salami, cheese, cheese, port, calzone, steak, potatoes, sticky date and plum pudding that added to your pack weight???

Damn heavy day Pack! :shock: :lol: :lol:

I don't get your point :D Has to be the day pack...
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby warnesy » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 8:37 pm

Checking out the KS backpacks now. They look quite interesting and possibly customisable....
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby legend » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 11:36 am

I use one of the very lightweight nylon Kathmandu day packs. It's easy to carry in your main pack when doing extended trips, and to make the back more comfortable when carrying fishing gear, I use a foam sit mat to pad it out. I also use it to carry water back to camp, etc
legend
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 7:04 am

This looks interesting, no rear photo but I think it has a small pack on the back:

https://www.patagonia.com.au/collection ... 7856229387
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby warnesy » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 2:01 pm

Neo wrote:This looks interesting, no rear photo but I think it has a small pack on the back:

https://www.patagonia.com.au/collection ... 7856229387

I used to have a fishpond pack vest. They tend to be pretty heavy. The other downside is without a waist strap they ride up when you have stuff in the backpack.

warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 2:30 pm

Don't know if you're still looking but Massdrop are doing a 60L backpack with an removable waist strap/daybag that might suit your needs. I'm also a flyfisherman and will be trying out this set up for myself this coming season :)
If you sign up a new account you get $10usd off your first purchase which makes it about $170AUD inc. postage

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x ... -crown-x60
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby warnesy » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 4:45 pm

JoeyJibJabber wrote:Don't know if you're still looking but Massdrop are doing a 60L backpack with an removable waist strap/daybag that might suit your needs. I'm also a flyfisherman and will be trying out this set up for myself this coming season :)
If you sign up a new account you get $10usd off your first purchase which makes it about $170AUD inc. postage

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x ... -crown-x60

Thanks I’m still keeping my eye out so I’ll have a look. I like a backpack way more than a vest for what I do.

warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 1:12 pm

No worries. The link I provided isn't working but the drop is still active. Just search for Massdrop x Granite Gear Crown X60 and you should find it :)
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby climberman » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 9:32 pm

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/u ... packs.html

Bontrager's Axiom applies though: "strong, light, cheap: pick any two"
climberman

Return to Ultralight backpacking