New osprey pack - eja

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

New osprey pack - eja

Postby Kristin » Tue 23 Jan, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi,
I have been eyeing off an exos for a couple of years. I have decided its now time to buy my new pack, but it gets even better and there is a womans version of the exos (eja) just been released.
I cant find anywhere which sells it in oz, or anyone able to ship it here. Has anyone sighted one in their travels?
Kristin
Kristin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: New osprey pack - eja

Postby warnabrother » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 8:11 am

I don't believe they are actually available for sale just yet AND from what I have seen there are two issues..

1 - it weighs more than the Exos (well the mens version does)
2. No hip pockets !!

I debated on waiting for the new Exos before I bought mine and after seeing these "issues" decided to buy an outgoing model Exos at a bargain..

These issues however may not be of any concern to you as you are looking at a womens pack and there is no baseline weight (older version) to go off and you may have no need for hip pockets (I love hip pockets)..

I imagine we will see these new packs here in a few months..

If you don't mind the lack of side pockets, I would wait for the even lighter new Levity/Lumina from Osprey which is their brand new "ultralight" pack.. https://www.osprey.com/ca/en/product/lu ... 5_578.html
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Stew63 » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 9:27 am

Both the Exos and Eja packs are already over 1kg which is pretty heavy for an 'Ultralight' pack!
My ArcHaul Zip (Made in USA) is ~700gram and my new beautifully and meticulously made KS pack (custom Made in Japan) is only ~300gm.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby warnabrother » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 12:03 pm

Stew63 wrote:Both the Exos and Eja packs are already over 1kg which is pretty heavy for an 'Ultralight' pack!
My ArcHaul Zip (Made in USA) is ~700gram and my new beautifully and meticulously made KS pack (custom Made in Japan) is only ~300gm.

agree with the weight..
biggest issue with the Arc haul etc etc. is that there is nowhere in Aus you can try one on.. I'd be all over an Arc haul IF I could fit one and check it's comfy..

so i live with my Exos and possibly new Levity when Osprey Aus release it..
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Ultralight backpacking