First aid kit

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: First aid kit

Postby Lizzy » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 8:27 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Have to say, after so many threads on FAK, the only commonality is the snake bite bandage (and PLB), the only item that will benefit in a life threatening situation. All the rest are of relative value and won’t alter any life-death outcome and can wait or be improvised. Suddenly, the weight of those FAK came down dramatically.

However for me it’s not all about “life & death” situations- more commonly it’s about being able to continue on comfortably. Yes I carry the PLB & compression bandages but a few other dressings can make a world of difference if some nasty blisters or some such thing occurs.
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby andrewa » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 8:54 pm

My FAK depends on what I'm doing.

I'm fortunate enough to be a GP...

Day trips....bandaids

Longer trips depend on where I'm going, what I'm doing, what the perceived risks are, and then I take appropriate stuff to deal with these situations - it varies each trip, and according to who I go away with, and also with any of their medical conditions.

I haven't answered your question...just how I tweak it as needed.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Tortoise » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 9:01 pm

andrewa wrote:Day trips....bandaids

A snake bite can't kill you on a day trip? :?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby andrewa » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 9:06 pm

Yep, OK, maybe a compression bandage...

I don't ever do day walks. My only day trips are fly fishing, and I wear waders....hence my comment about it depending on what you're doing.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby slparker » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 11:05 pm

Warin wrote:the 'setopress' bandage can be over stretched to rectangles applying more tension.... would that be enough for snakebite?

Yep. For a bite on the leg stretch a bit further than the 40 mmHg square. The minimum compression for bite on an arm is 40mmHg so the setopress will give the minimum compression.

I recommend practicing as it is difficult to get the pressure even across a limb and an elastic bandage can easily be placed too tight as well as too loose. The setopress is normally applied with a 50% wrap as you can get high pressure when overlaying it 2/3 - like you would with a crepe.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking