Inner net for Trailstar?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Inner net for Trailstar?

Postby Davidf61 » Thu 03 May, 2018 8:12 pm

Yes I know of the MLD version, just wondering if anybody has used any other brand inner nets with their Trailstar? MLD are saying 8-12 weeks at the moment and the Ookworks guy doesn't seem interested in replying to e-mails at all.....

I'm pretty much down to a Terra Rosa tarp and Trailstar use these days, I have a small a-frame style mesh tent that goes under the Rosa tarp, but doesn't work under the Trailstar. Just solo use, enough to keep a few bugs out and a little height on the side.

Anybody have experience with Bearpaw?
I did try an el-cheapo Aliexpress thing but it was obviously built late Friday or early Monday.

Thanks in advance
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Inner net for Trailstar?

Postby Mark F » Thu 03 May, 2018 8:31 pm

I suggest you read a couple of these threads about Ookworks https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/89333/ and BearPaw https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/my-absolute-nightmare-experience-with-john-stultz-and-bearpaw-wilderness-designs/ before risking your cash especially if you want quick delivery.

I have no direct experience with the trailstar but have read that the inners are a rather poor addition which severely limits the internal space. This may be the one situation that a bug bivvy may be a better solution.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Davidf61 » Thu 03 May, 2018 8:57 pm

Mark F wrote:I suggest you read a couple of these threads about Ookworks https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/89333/ and BearPaw https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/my-absolute-nightmare-experience-with-john-stultz-and-bearpaw-wilderness-designs/ before risking your cash especially if you want quick delivery.

I have no direct experience with the trailstar but have read that the inners are a rather poor addition which severely limits the internal space. This may be the one situation that a bug bivvy may be a better solution.

Well!, Thanks for that, looks like Bearpaw quality is somewhat below par [ understatement ] and Ookworks don't seem to care much that you exist either!

I currently use a Bugbivy [ Outdoor Research ] but would just like to sit up sometimes I guess, I'll keep looking, thanks again.
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Thu 03 May, 2018 10:05 pm

I have an Oooknest for my Trailstar.

It has been excellent for any longer trips. Lots of space in the Trailstar. Easy to setup, easy to use, light with the cuban and mesh.

When I ordered it (years ago now) the delivery was delayed and in the end I had it delivered in Scotland a week before one of my Scotland hiking trips.

Assuming he still makes them, then I would still order one. Just don't expect them to be delivered quickly. He's a one person maker and has had some major personal issues but when the Ooostar arrived it was excellent.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby michael_p » Fri 04 May, 2018 10:33 am

Davidf61 wrote:Anybody have experience with Bearpaw?

I have an older version of the Minimalist 1 from Bearpaw.

I have slept in it under a tarp and it was fine. I must say it is very minimalist which means it is also lightweight and packs down to a small stuff sack. Build quality was fine and delivery was good. I did purchased it via his Ebay store ( https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/eastie2117? ... 1543.l2754 ) not from his website. Sorry, but I don't have any "in action" photos to share.

EDIT: I found a thread on BPL that makes for an interesting read: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/top ... /#comments

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Fri 04 May, 2018 1:04 pm

Davidf61 wrote:Anybody have experience with Bearpaw?

Yes, very good and not averse to customization as some are. I had an inner net made for my MLD Cricket and made it slightly larger than the MLD standard net (without being so big as to touch the sides of the tarp), CF floor and some mods to the standard zipper layout... all good quality, reasonably priced, timely delivery etc.

EDIT just read the accounts in the above link - looks like I was lucky (although my purchase was a few years ago... maybe they've gone downhill??)
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 04 May, 2018 1:23 pm

I have a spare 3-sided Oooknest. It was built for a shangri-la 3, happy to measure the minimum height if there's an interest in it?
Our experience with BPWD wasn't the best either (but I wish him well).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby icefest » Sun 06 May, 2018 7:59 am

I have a bear paw designs inner. I'm not happy with it for multiple reasons, feel free to pm me if you want to know more.

If you still want it after that discussion I'm open to selling it, bit don't want to burden another person with it
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Davidf61 » Sun 06 May, 2018 10:18 am

Nuts wrote:I have a spare 3-sided Oooknest. It was built for a shangri-la 3, happy to measure the minimum height if there's an interest in it?
Our experience with BPWD wasn't the best either (but I wish him well).

Thanks for the reply, thought about it, probably too tall at around 130-140 cm?, I run the Trailstar at 120 or lower usually. I might see if Terra Rosa can sort something.
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Davidf61 » Sun 06 May, 2018 10:20 am

icefest wrote:I have a bear paw designs inner. I'm not happy with it for multiple reasons, feel free to pm me if you want to know more.

If you still want it after that discussion I'm open to selling it, bit don't want to burden another person with it

Thanks for the reply as well, I have received a few e-mails on the quiet, none of them particularly glowing reports about the build quality in particular, pity.....
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jdeks » Sun 20 May, 2018 9:07 pm

I've had a bearpaw PyraNet1 with Trailstar footprint for my trailstar since 2011. It's been my go-to shelter since then and has seen easily over 100 nights of use. Single best addition to the 'Stay I can think of, a genuine Pocket House. Practically lived out of it for a few weeks at a time. Also had a few other inner nets of theirs for other tarps over the years, as have some mates. Zero failure of seams, zips or anything else.

Truth be told I can see why some folks have had issues with the build quality. There are some parts that do seem a bit rough - slightly wandering seams, rough edges and almost crude corner construction . Dimensions were +/- an inch or so. Functional, but definitely not a big focus on the cosmetics i.e. looks like I sewed it. Certainly not on par with MLD on terms of overall appearance

BUT...

There's no denying it's lasted just as well. And their gear is, for bespoke UL kit spanning a bunch of different separate ranges of tents and tarps, VERY well priced. The Oookworks (who had horror stories of their own with apocalyptic wait times IIRC...) Oookstar is about $320 AUD before shipping, vs the BPWD equivalent of around $200 landed in Aus. And again, it's just functional so long as you dont get your knickers in a knot about a loose thread here or a wavy seam there.

I guess it really comes down to what your expectations/priorities are and how much $$$ you have.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby melinda » Wed 30 May, 2018 1:45 pm

I have a bearpaw minimalist bivy that was custom made in 2012.
It has been fine.
Sad to hear that there have been a lot of problems in recent years.
This guy was making decent products very cheaply!
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby racca » Sat 16 Jun, 2018 6:08 pm

hi David,

I'm currently in the same boat, looking for an innernet that will work in a trailstar and also under a standard tarp. Tried and disliked a couple of different bivys. My next thought was to try Evan @ Terra Rosa. So if we can find or design something ourselves, that we both like, it should be cheaper for us to get Evan to make 2. Or you may have sorted something already. Let me know.

Cheers
Mark
racca
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Return to Ultralight backpacking