Hiking in tights?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Hiking in tights?

Postby PedalRoll » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 10:10 pm

So I’ve been interested in taking some tights (think Skins) for use during hiking (if cold and/or moving through wet scrub) and performing double duty at night to replace my thermals. John Z recommends it and I am feeling it.

Sometimes I can be really agitated with my sweaty and grimey legs on my mat when sleeping so looking for a fix.

What do you all think? Who does something similar?
PedalRoll
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Re: Hiking in tights?

Postby nezumi » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 10:47 pm

I've done a day walk in thermals + running shorts over the top. I found it quite comfortable, not sure how I'd go doing it on a multi-day hike tho.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 8:06 am

Its certainly worth a try. One thought, if they are too tight, they might feel a bit chilly overnight as they can restrict bloodflow near the skin, which can make you feel colder, even if you are not actually cold. That said, I know quite a few people who do walk in all sorts of skins, yoga pants, tights, etc.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 8:36 am

Been wearing PowerStretch tights for ages, the trick is to not get them too tight This year I tried a pair of female Yoga tights from Target, look good but very cool to wear even over long-johns, great when working hard not so good when you stop.
Hard-faced PowerStretch seems to be a good compromise between warmth and freedom of movement
I've never tried Skins tho
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 8:41 am

I've been using tights for several years for long and short distance walks.

My right knee was getting painful for any hiking and was reducing my daily hiking. I hike for at least an hour around 5 days a week. Found a physio and went for a test and the result was to do a daily exercise flexing before going for a hike. The physio also suggested that a good tight would improve the knee and reduce the pain because it is a bit wobbly :) I rarely now have any pain in my knee.

If you look around you can find a warm or a cool tight. I use tall gaiters and shorts, never get too cold or hot.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 12:11 pm

I concur that the standard Skins don't add a lot of warmth. You need to look for thermal versions.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby slparker » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 12:29 pm

polypro thermal tights and shorts were de rigeur back in the day.

They're quite hot and sticky and they catch on scrub. The bonus is you look like an extra from Robin Hood.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 10:52 pm

Agree with the temperature comments.

I have high compression A400 skins, but if I’m not exercising I get very cold. The body’s natural way to keep warm (standing hairs up on end to restrict boundary layer air movement) is lost.

I’ve been cold at night in them and got much warmer very quickly by taking them off.

Use them for recovery, yes. As thermals - no.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Return to Ultralight backpacking