Toaks 450ml Cup & Bega Peanut Butter 375g

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Toaks 450ml Cup & Bega Peanut Butter 375g

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Tue 26 Mar, 2019 9:11 pm

Yes... the subject title is obscure, but... a 375g Peanut Butter 'jar' fits perfectly into a Toaks 450ml cup.

My lunch on a hike hasn't changed for a while (please feel free to give your own ideas here).

I like to eat salami and strong cheese on the hike, with vita wheat pepper crackers ( is there a poem about those?), but the salami smell permeates the food bag after a few days even within a zip lock sandwich bag.

These 'jars' have tight lids and are 28g and should trap in the salami funk? Also on a boiling water test it held up fine - are the BPA free?

I've foolishly collected two of the larger jar sizes in the thought bubble of going cold soaked on the next hike... where will it end!

It's a random post - thanks for the forum
Attachments
IMG_2183.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Toaks 450ml Cup & Bega Peanut Butter 375g

Postby crollsurf » Tue 26 Mar, 2019 9:58 pm

I've got the Tomshoo ripoff of the Toaks and can pack a metho stove, pot stand, Titanium wind shield, lighter and foldable spork. Still looking for a fuel container to fit because there is still some room left. Perfect UL weekend/long weekend option, cook or soak.

I travel with Gyulai Salami and Comte or Cheddar cheese in ziplocks and haven't had your problem, so long as the cheese is wrapped in some absorbent cloth or paper, all is good.

Gyulai, Cheese, Mountain Bread and Miso soup is a personal favorite come dinner time.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 6:02 am

Yes, certain meats smell more than others. I wont carry salami anymore. Sounds like you have the salami lovers solution. Is that the little PB jar? Looks half size? I now use the wee one to store my coffee stuff and use it as the cup as well.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Franco » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 7:34 am

My version of salami is Parma ham. I don't think that it smells even after a few days. You will need to find fat content from something else (I carry olive oil and add that to the cooked meals)

BTW, I don't think that either Toaks or Tomshoo are manufacturers but simply retail brands from products that most likely come from Shanghai Kingsound Titanium Tech.
Their own retail brand is Tibetan.
So if you place a big enough order you could have the same item with your name on it.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 11:51 am

Lamont wrote:Is that the little PB jar? Looks half size? I now use the wee one to store my coffee stuff and use it as the cup as well.

It's actually the 'medium' sized jar, Lamont - and I do like your idea of using the small one for a cup - I was surprised yesterday that the plastic withstood boiling water without softening - would be excellent for a short black! I'll grab a small BP from the shop this afternoon and clean it up - the kids will love the abundance of peanut butter in the tupperware container!

Franco - parma ham, like prosciutto? I like that option too. I usually take a chunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano as it doesn't sweat but it might be a bit too strong for parma ham - hey, and I got a TT ProTrail the other day from this site and couldn't be happier with how it took an absolute beating on Sunday night here in Creswick with an inch of rain and 70km gusts. I seam sealed it on Saturday and not a drop Sunday night (apart from user error n the back wall curtains...). Dan Durtson's Xmid with I got on the December drop will have to impress to get in my pack :D

Crollsurf - thanks for your reply and thanks again for selling me that MLD Burn 38 - its been awesome! I got Laurent at KS Gear to make some hip belt pockets for it.

As I said - a bit of a random post, but appreciate you all getting on board with it!
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 12:55 pm

You know I've never bought a small jar of peanut butter, even the big ones don't last in this house as we eat a lot of pretend satay but the big jars are my go-to sealed containers these days, but along the same lines the small Kraft grated parmesan also fit neatly.
Small "p" in parmesan as I only capitalise Reggianno or Grano Padura
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 3:14 pm

Mine is the weeny jar -16 grams empty.
Pic with 4 days coffee and milk inside and half a wooden spoon. Total weight 70 grams. Cafe shakato/frappe.Giddy up.

"WWHHAATT"-fool says after seeing loaded picture.
How do you get these photos the right way up?
Attachments
20190327_160636.jpg
Last edited by Lamont on Wed 27 Mar, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 4:09 pm

Moondog :
"Small "p" in parmesan as I only capitalise Reggianno or Grano Padura'
Well I don't think much of your Italian...
Parmigiano (if it is the real stuff) is correctly written as Parmigiano-Reggiano but you can call it Parmigiano as long as you do capitalise it.
(That is the brand name of the PDO (Protected Designation of Origin ) not a generic name for a type of cheese)
Note that Reggiano has one n only.
It's Grana Padano, also a brand name of a PDO and not the generic name for a type of cheese.
That is why all the wheels of those two cheeses all look the same.
2017_09_ParmigianoBorgotaro_web.jpg
2017_09_ParmigianoBorgotaro_web.jpg (298.96 KiB) Viewed 20703 times

GRANA-PADANO-32-kg-extra-big-21.jpg
GRANA-PADANO-32-kg-extra-big-21.jpg (161.81 KiB) Viewed 20703 times
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 4:39 pm

I knew Franco would be onto you, Moondog..! Takes a big PB jar to fit his cheese in though!
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 4:48 pm

Orbita...
We were in Springmount for about 3 years.
I am about to have a bottle of wine from our 2018 vintage grown there ( we sold that property last October) with tonight's version of saltimbocca alla Romana.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 5:14 pm

I speel italian with an orstralian accent
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 5:41 pm

It's Eyetalian, with the capital Eye.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 9:37 pm

The Kinder Surprise Capsules weigh 4gms and are - unless squeezed - water tight. Or spirit tight in this case - filled to the top they could hold 17gms of your finest liquor.

This may be good news to those UL who bed-down with the promise of a tipple of scotch - but not the 700ml bottle decanted into a 600ml coke bottle at the trailhead.

I have been warned that the lighter the gear, the more prone it is to busting under arduous conditions... I can imagine rummaging around in the bottom of the pack for the Drambuie shot and taking on that risk.
Attachments
IMG_2188.JPG
Kinder Surprise Captsule
IMG_2185.JPG
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 4:17 am

Ha ha, no way on the kinder surprise. You can squash them. I have a Litesmith bottle, flattish and will squeeze a bit flatter,shaped PET bottle weighs about 30 grams empty and holds 380mls, enough for sip for a couple or few nights or more. It's is tough as.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 30 Mar, 2019 10:22 am

Well that is a kinder surprise I would be excited to open!

Great idea about the PB jar. Fits nicely. I have a tomshoo pot/cup whatever in the same size.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 30 Mar, 2019 10:58 am

Hmm, up to now I’ve been keeping my mug around my water bottle in the side pouch of my pack and storing my cooking gear separately.
I might try storing my cooking gear inside my mug and putting it all inside my pack. See which way I like.
I’m also toying with using a 375g “Protein Powder” plastic container to rehydrate food. Sealable lid so I can put my dehyds in and add water about an hour before reaching camp. That way, when I stop I can just tip it into my pot and heat it. Note that I find that some Strive meals take a long time to rehydrate.

p.s. I hate the smell of peanut butter! I love peanuts and satay but can’t face Kraft peanut butter. Bad luck for the rest of the family.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 05 Apr, 2019 10:43 am

A good fuel container is one of those small squeeze sachets used for baby food but remember to label correctly
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Thu 02 May, 2019 12:54 pm

MYO Yoghurt Maker... I had a surprise this morning after making an insulated wrap from windshield insulation/cloth tape for the Toaks 450ml so it could keep the 375g PB jar at a warm.

At ~6pm yesterday I placed 30g of Easiyo with 3/4 jar full of warmish water, shook it up and placed it into the pot cosy. Kept it on top of my stereo until bed and slept with it until ~7am. It set when it cooled an hour or so later.

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

I'm going to do it again tonight with 15g of Easiyo... I'm surprised that it worked actually... was it a fluke? I do love yoghurt with Carmens or Aldi muesli clusters as it balances out the sweetness!
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 02 May, 2019 2:29 pm

AWESOME! Keep experimenting, love it.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Thu 02 May, 2019 10:12 pm

Plastic jars are great for bushwalking ;)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wallwombat » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 10:07 pm

I'm pretty comfortable smelling like salami, mouldy cheese and four day old sweaty socks by now. Smells like freedom.
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 8:58 pm

My first attempt with 30g Easy was a success - and I don't like first time success as it felt like I 'winged it'. The curing stage of that yoghurt did involve it being placed under the wood heater - not inside a cosy quilt... and I noticed that the cap seal of the Bega jar let some liquid bleed through... cultured liquid... the kind that makes a quilt funky smelling and with dubious staining to the untrained eye.

This time I'm employing a 200g jar within the 375g Bega PB plastic jar. 30g Easiyo with enough luke warm water to be double the powdered height (quite technical). Then place the 200g into the 375g, fill with boiling water and place int the Toaks cup and surrounding cosy.

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 8.42.53 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 8.42.53 pm.png (604.82 KiB) Viewed 18739 times

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 8.43.04 pm.png

Tomorrow morning will tell - I did enjoy the set yoghurt this morning as I scooped a few spoons on Carmans muesli into the 1/3 full 200g jar and used that as a breakfast bowl. To clean add hot water with coffee and sugar... presto!
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 9:59 pm

wallwombat wrote:I'm pretty comfortable smelling like salami, mouldy cheese and four day old sweaty socks by now. Smells like freedom.

:-)

I feel the same but draw the line with certain strong smelling soft ripened cheeses. For that I use an odor barrier ziplock bag. They are a bit bulkier and heavier than a standard ziplock but way less than a rigid plastic container. One would work well to control salami funk too.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking