Starting out Guide to Ultralight Bushwalking

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Starting out Guide to Ultralight Bushwalking

Postby crollsurf » Sat 12 Oct, 2019 2:57 pm

Assuming you already have traditional bushwalking gear and are looking at lightening your load and enjoying the freedom of Ultralight (UL) backpacking. Here are some rules and advice about going UL that I have learnt (sometimes first hand) over the last 6 years:

Keep your old gear. You don’t become UL overnight, it’s an evolution, a transition, a learning curve. Plus if a family member or friend decide they want to come for an overnighter, you have gear to lend them. There are other reasons as well, so keep that old gear, at least to start with.

Buy your UL pack last. No point buying a UL pack if you can’t get all your gear into it and no point buying a pack that after a year, is too big and you want a smaller pack. That's not totally true because in winter or on longer walks, you may need a bigger pack, but hold off on buying a pack for a while, at least until your old pack is looking half empty.

Create a spreadsheet. Buy some cheap scales off ebay and list every bit of gear and the weight of each item. The reason you do this is to justify buying equipment. A general rule to get started is NOT to buy anything that isn’t saving you at least 1 gram per dollar spent. So lets say I can afford to buy a Quilt for $600 which reduces my overall weight by 700g. Or I can buy a Tent for $600 and save 1400g. I’m going to buy the Tent first because I get a bigger weight saving for my dollar. Eventually you will reach a stage where you can’t buy anything for $1/g or less and at that stage, you will almost certainly be UL.
There are websites like [url]geargrams.com[/url] that you can use. Personally I use Google Spreadsheets, you could also use Excel and that way, you can copy and paste your gear list into a new tab, cull the gear you don’t want to take and have a pack list for your walk.

Don’t pack your fears, learn to adapt. Most people carry a whole lot of crap they don't need. The general rule is to go for a “shakedown”, an overnight walk and anything you didn’t use, throw away. But it’s a lot more than just that. Do you really need a knife, fork and spoon when you can get away with just a spork. Do you really need a cup, plate, bowl, pot and frypan when you only need a cup to drink, eat and cook in? Do you even need a pillow when you can stuff your puffer jacket in your pack to use as a pillow? These are the type of questions you need to ask yourself and try out. It’s important to stay safe, dry and warm and you don’t have to sacrifice any of that to shed weight, but you will need to change some of your ideas on what you actually need.

Do your research and buy once. If you’re a compulsive buyer, don’t. Researching all the different products out there is one of my favourite past times, searching all the different cottage industry websites, getting excited about going for a walk with my new gear and lightening my load. But it’s easy to buy something and regret not having bought something else later. So do your research and once you’re ready to pull the trigger, hold off and give yourself a few days or even better, a week before buying. Don’t be in a hurry, the gear you already have is perfectly fine.

Be happy to evolve. Did I just say buy once, well that's true but if you buy right, you will still end up with 2 of most things. Don’t try and be Super Ultralight straight up. To give a few examples, the first UL tent I bought was a Tarptent Protrail (770g), still got it, still use it. If I’m not sure about the conditions or it looks like a lot of rain, I'll take the Protrail. Most of the time, I travel with a DCF (Dyneema) tarp, bugnet and Polycro groundsheet (~400g all up). Starting off with the Tarp setup wouldn’t have been a good idea. I probably wouldn’t have liked Tarping to begin with and may have given up on the idea of going UL.
I’ve got maybe a few to many packs but I started with an Osprey Exos 50L and then, when it became too big for overnight walks, I bought a Wilderness Threadworks Sonder 36L, which is lighter, more durable and my pack weight is so light now, I don’t need a hip strap. But the Sonder isn’t big enough for longer walks so I still use the Osprey.
What I’m saying is that as you evolve, so does your gear but if you bought sensibly first up, that gear you first bought, will still be useful and still get used.

Don’t get sucked in by marketing hype. Most reputable companies like Sea to Summit make claims that are accurate, others don’t, even some of the big names. Waterproof boots that aren’t waterproof, Rain jackets that don’t keep out the rain… do your homework, read the reviews.

Beware, it’s addictive. Some people take UL to extremes. Cutting off the labels, Titanium Shepard Hook stakes, high-energy light-weight foods etc, are all good ideas to know about and try but don’t go as light as possible and sacrifice comfort or safety. Don’t get a Quilt that is too small. Not sure, get the next size up. Don’t buy a cheap chinese UL tent if you’re over 5’ 8’’, you probably won't fit. Don’t get a CCF mat or a small inflatable mat if it means you’re getting a bad night's sleep. Don’t buy a 450ml cup to cook with if you’re a big eater and can’t comfortably fit your dinner in it...
There’s Super UL (SUL) and Stupid UL. In general, if in doubt, get the next size up. Ultralighters refer to this as “good weight”.

Where to buy all this gear. Typically most of it is sold direct by what are called “cottage” manufacturers. Not all are small and there are a lot of them, I don’t want to list them all here. You need to do your research but to get started, try https://www.99boulders.com/ultralight-backpacking-gear-vendors
There are major companies that also provide UL gear to retailers. Some of the better known are Sea to Summit, Nemo, Osprey, Thermarest, Big Agnes among others. You tend to pay a premium for their products as the retailer needs to make a dollar as well. On the good side, you can walk into a shop like Paddy’s, have a look feel and see if they’re right for you. Definitely clothing and shoes, I always try before I buy which limits your options as not all the good stuff is available here.

Get out there. But don’t start with a 1 week odyssey of the Tasmanian Wilderness. Start with an overnighter, then a long-weekend, work your way into it because there’s a learning curve in all of this. Most are easy learning curves but you still need to learn them first. Better to abandon with a 4 hour walk to civilization than watching your new UL tent blow away in a gail, 2 days walk from anywhere! Oh and take a Personal Location Beacon (PLB), at 150g, it’s good weight that can save your life.

Some good resources I’ve found along the way:
https://www.adventurealan.com Alan's site has been invaluable to me over the years. I don't follow his brand recommendations per se but his advice and philosophy behind UL hiking is second to none IMO.
http://bushwalk.com The best resource for Australian Bushwalking. A lot of amazingly experienced and knowledgeable people contribute to this site. Info on walks, gear, safety... and a market place with lots of UL gear for sale. The best, well priced UL gear gets snapped up quickly, so know what you want and be quick
https://www.theultralighthiker.com Steve is a little out there but he comes up with some fun, novel ideas. Some of them are quite brilliant.
https://www.thehikinglife.com Cam Honan is another blog site I like.

Also check out youtube, there’s a lot of rubbish on there but some great vlogs and gear reviews amongst it all.

Anyway, I hope that helps and I’m sure your adventure into Ultralight backpacking will be a rewarding one, well mostly, things don’t always go to plan. Did I tell you about the time I fell in a creek...
Last edited by crollsurf on Sat 12 Oct, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Starting out Guide to Ultralight Bushwalking

Postby Lamont » Sat 12 Oct, 2019 3:24 pm

Good on you Crolly. Do you mind of I heartily endorse your recommendation of Cam Honan and Steve? If not I do!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby crollsurf » Sat 12 Oct, 2019 3:57 pm

No worries Lamont. Look forward to others advice about getting into UL gear. Might pick up a few good tips myself

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sat 12 Oct, 2019 4:53 pm

For what it's worth then Crolly I might add to your excellent post and say for the aspiring ultralighter-just go-trial gear. Bugger what you look like, don't go for brands -go for what works.
Crappy weather whatever, just go. Even if it's just for a day or a half day-perfect for trialling as you can get back home to the car or whatever.
If you are concerned of course trial in a populated area/beach maybe -I seem to read a lot of people on another well known site where the people try to cover every eventuality and want the perfect kit but without trialling it- ever.
Try stuff when it's not too cold then push your stuff into the coldish safely and see what happens.
I'd say don't subscribe to the 'buy once cry once thing'-then you don't try anything for yourself. What suits some doesn't always suit others.
Get some cheap UL stuff -an example-https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2019-Women-Girls-Cycling-Wind-Coat-Rain-Coat-Water-Resistant-Outdoor-Jacket-RWBN/401761530955?hash=item5d8ada744b:m:mm0vas62f1ZOKmKFfe6aPdg&frcectupt=true
and try it.
I have four of these, each has at least 200-300 kms on it-two have had Nikwax through them which boosted the already nice water repellancy and XXL weighs 70gms. About 70CFM (very highly breathable) sizing is an issue for those with chests over about 105 (sorry Crolly) and with my 3FUL ($15) rain kilt (got to love that one Crolly-shame it didn't fit -but you did get something you like in that vein). Pair it with the Macpac Nitro and bingo, bango a 200gm combo good to a couple of degrees above zero (apparent temp) degrees active.
A very good rain coat for both wind and rain takes it's place when it's really cold or very wet.
All I would say is don't take my word for it, go and try it at $20 it is an astonishing bargain.Wear something like this on a few daywalks, get a feel for it.
Not everyone is bush bashing all the time and it is durable Nylon and works.
I (do we all?) remember Cam Honan on the front of Bushwalk Australia Magazine a couple of years ago with his Montbell Tachyon pants and jacket shredded in Tazzie. That picture and article on Cam led me to this jacket. Tight 'khyber pass' that I am. You don't need the EE Copperfield or the Montbell Tachyon (yet perhaps? ha ha). Packs the size of a hanky.
End of the day gets a bit nippy in camp-put these over your shorts https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cycling-Rai ... 1765215231 stretchy as hell and feel the warmth (90 gms) -used around camp-not needed walking yet- but excellent.
I have some other el cheapo recos if anyone wants them.
Tramp on.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Neo » Sat 12 Oct, 2019 7:21 pm

Nice topic Croll.
I have a document 'collected bushwalking tips' that i started a while ago but keep to myself. Points ive learnt often from deciphering forums and blogs then confirming myself!
Upcoming challenge is to ssemble my lightest criticl gear, weigh in and test its boundaries :)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Sun 13 Oct, 2019 8:38 pm

A few thoughts;

Think about each section of gear as a system, for instance you need a shelter system (tent/tarp/ hammock, poles, pegs, ground sheet?), sleeping system (bag/quilt, insulated mat, pillow?), cooking system (stove, pot etc) and clothing system. There are multiple trade-offs as you work though each system and you need to very carefully consider the climatic conditions you expect to encounter. For instance wind shirts; I find they are great for alpine/sub-alpine walking but would be dubious about the benefits in the forested sub tropics.

It is really easy to dream of hard trip in extreme conditions and buy gear to suit. You will end up with a set of sub-optimal, but overly expensive, gear that you may not ever use for its intended purpose. Better to dial in a set of gear for your most commonly experienced conditions and once familiar and comfortable with your choices consider upgrades for those previously imagined trips once they are scheduled.

WHen it comes to clothing layering is your friend. It is rare that I would carry in my pack more than 1kg of clothing for 3 seasons use. Particularly with clothing there are many relatively mainstream local companies that can provide more than adequate high tech clothing at 10-30% of the cost of so called top brands. Most of my clothing requirements now come from Uniqlo (HeatTech thermals, Airism undies, Down jacket/vest) and Decathlon. For example, Decathlon provided my hooded wind shirt ($29, 119g) and 100 weight grid 1/4 zip fleece ($18, 226g) whereas my MontBell equivalents were several years go, UL wind shirt, no hood 81g $88 and Chamfleece 1/4 zip $65 but I admit I did pick up a Plasma 1000 down jacket for $199 (137g) on special.

Do consider the benefits of MYOG. Your sewing machine can be a route to low cost and lightweight gear. Most of my stuff sacks are myog as is my down quilt ($240, 610g used to -5). Other things are a custom made cozy/stuff sac to suit my pot (20g) and windshield made from a aluminium roasting tray (29g, $3).

Behind all of this is knowledge and the willingness to experiment as others have said. Read, question and be very skeptical of many manufacturers claims. Ultimately, experience will provide you with confidence in your gear selections and so remove the need for carrying backups - apart from a spare source of fire and a tent peg or two.

In the quest to get our base weights down most of us get lower than we are ultimately comfortable with and end up adding back a little weight to deliver an acceptable degree of comfort. This is often to do with getting a good nights sleep. For me this was adding in a blow up pillow (+49g) and moving to a wide, full length insulated mat (+320g) but even this has only moved my base weight up to just under 5Kg.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Orion » Mon 14 Oct, 2019 3:12 am

Mark F wrote:Behind all of this is knowledge and the willingness to experiment as others have said....

...Ultimately, experience will provide you with confidence in your gear selections...

My thoughts exactly.

Don't force it. There's no rush. You need experience to know where to draw the line for yourself for a given set of circumstances.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Mon 14 Oct, 2019 8:34 am

sometimes for what i'm doing, my preference is to not use ultralight gear
i assess on a trip by trip basis as to the weight of the items i will take whether it be ultralight or heavier weight..
the conditions i go in can vary a lot through to alpine in winter conditions
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby LighterFasterHire » Mon 14 Oct, 2019 10:14 am

Hi all
I've got a few nuggets to throw into this conversation which I think are pretty on-topic

A BOOK
I recently got this book as a gift and it's definitely worth a look - very no-nonsense, practical and fun
It's essentially a UL manifesto and how-to guide (with cartoons!)
I would say it's perfect for the beginner and would still throw up a few new ideas and things to try for the seasoned ultralighter

Ultralight Backpackin' Tips by Mike Clelland

It's available at Book Depository and no doubt elsewhere if you look around

LINKS
The second thing is a PDF I put together recently with a few selected links for getting started with UL (see attachment below)
Some have already been mentioned in previous posts and probably elsewhere on this forum but thought it was still worth sharing

DANGER!
Lastly, only open this link if you're in the mood for shopping!!
Cottage Gear Companies - Master List
It's focused on the US/Canada but looks like he's in the process of making it worldwide

See you down the rabbit hole!
Mike
Attachments
Ultralight Links.pdf
(103.11 KiB) Downloaded 646 times
lighterfasterhire.com.au
lightfasthire@spin.net.au
instagram.com/lighter_faster_hire
LighterFasterHire
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Lighter Faster Hire
Region: Victoria

Postby Bubbalouie » Mon 14 Oct, 2019 9:19 pm

I think three points here for me:

* Ultralight is about increasing comfort. A lighter overall load is more comfortable, but not if your sleep system is too cold for want of an extra 100 grams. This goes for clothing, food, lighting, everything, it's about compromise.
* DCF doesn't make for very durable dry bags, it gets pin hole leaks after a while. I once spent a very cold evening on a hill due to a wet sleeping bag because of this.
* Don't skimp on safety to save weight, keep the mylar blanket, a proper med kit (so do have a bandage for snake bites and sprains, I occasionally read about people's 60g med kits). If you've got one always take the PLB etc.
* Multipurpose if you can swing it is good.

I am not sure if I am a true ultralighter, at least in terms of the stereotype, but for an overnight excursion with a few litres of water, expected rain and 5-15c I can get away with 7.5kg total load. The main reason I point this out is because I'd consider the kit safe, you needn't compromise safety.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to Ultralight backpacking