12 days on NZ South Island : getting away from the crowds

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

12 days on NZ South Island : getting away from the crowds

Postby Hallu » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 4:05 pm

I've always wanted to visit NZ, but with leave days lacking, finding some travel mates, it's gonna be from December 26th till January 6th. So it's the peak of the peak season. We're gonna do the South Island, and we sacrificed the North part of the island. After browsing a few books, I found NZ Frenzy - South Island by Scott Cook extremely helpful. Only day walks, but that was our goal, and the book is about secluded spots, honest statements, bad weather options, how to avoid the crowds, which walk is worth it despite the crowds etc... The only problem is no color photos, no detailed maps, and he doesn't specify in which national or regional park a given walk is, he just gives you directions to go there.

So the itinerary would look like this :

1) Landing 2 pm at CC, then road towards Arthur's pass, night at Arthur's Pass
2) Visiting Arthur's Pass, if time have a look at Paparoa, night at Greymouth
3) Visit Paparoa and/or the first glacier, night at Franz Joseph. For Paparoa we're gonna see Punakaiki Rocks (at high tide hopefully) and try to squeeze in Motukieke Beach Walk at low tide. Anybody done this walk ? It's Scott Cook's favorite beachwalk, but it would be nice to have some feedback from New-Zealanders.
4) Do Rob Roy Glacier if there's time (other option : second glacier), night at Wanaka. Apparently Rob Roy is a must-see, but the road leading to it is pretty rough, is it corrugated and how fast is it safe to drive on ?
5) Road towards Mount Cook, day walks around lake Pukaki, night Mount Cook. In the area I've seen pictures of Clay Cliffs of Omarama it looks really amazing.
6) Day walks at Mount Cook, night at Mount Cook. We're gonna do Hooker Valley Track, THE walk I want to do the most in NZ, I hope it's gonna be a clear day. On NZ Frenzy they advise you to do Ball Flats Road Route on a grey rainy day instead, you guys agree ?
7) See lake Tekapo, Taniwha paintings, night at Oamaru
8) Visit Otago Peninsula, night at Curio Bay
9) Visit Curio Bay, night at Te Anau
10) Visit Milford Sound night Te Anau. I'm not sure if the boat-trip is really worth it, between the boat and adding walks like Humboldt Falls, Gertrude Valley or Tutoko Valley Route which is best ?
11) Road towards Queenstown, day walks in the area. Is it worth it to do Routeburn until Flat Hut of Falls Hut ? Or is it better to do Lake Alta and Shadow Bassin Lookout ?
12) Taking off from Queenstown in the afternoon.

I realize that everything's a little rushed, but it's not entirely my choice, I have to compromise with my travel mates. Some days have 3 hours of driving at a time, some have 4 hours in total, but I'm sure it's gonna be worth it, and the roads are quite scenic apparently so it's not just boring straight lined roads =) If you've got any tips on secluded spots and walks, that would be great, I found Tutoko Valley thanks to Wayno on an old topic for example. Thanks in advance for your help !
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Re: 12 days on NZ South Island : getting away from the crowd

Postby wayno » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 4:19 pm

you've set yourself a big mission to find secluded places going to those places during peak holiday season, you'l struggle to get away from the crowds if you're spending a short amount of time in those places... you're heading where all the tourists go.... as part of the normal circuit as a million of them do their circuit... i accept if im day walking in the best places then, there will be other people.... tutoko is one of the exceptions,
dont bother with humbolt falls, if it rains you wont be able to count all the waterfalls, and the viewing point is a long way from the falls, it lookt like a thin streak running down the mountain from there
go and walk as much of the routeburn as you can, the scenery keeps changing and gets better the further you go if the weather is clear, its possible to get up to harris saddle in a day if you're keen and its one of the best walks in the world.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby wayno » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 4:26 pm

if you're going to the matukitiku valley, and you want a full day , go to aspiring hut and climb up the track to cascade saddle till at least the bushline if the weather is clear for some great views. its about three and a half hours each way without having to go too hard... to get up to the top would ad at least four hours on top of that, if its celar the views are pretty darned good... but its steep and you must not go above the bushline in the wet. the tussock grass is treacherous in teh wet on steep slopes
or base yourself at aspiring hut for an overnighter

http://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap/nz20 ... ddle/Otago

i'm not much of a beach fanatic, dunno, spoilt for choice in nz so after a while one beach starts to look like the next.... i don't go out of my way to visit specific beaches...
personally i wouldnt go out of my way to go to punakaiki unless you'e going that way , it will be OVERUN with people EVERYWHERE, its a small area. you can stroll around in half an hour, i'm sure aus has something better in the way of rocks if not comparable.
on the west coast see if you can find accomodation at Okarito.. if the weather is good theres a walk there that goes up the hill, only half an hour up if that and it gives a primo view of the southern alps including mt cook, very quiet at okarito, but fran josef will be a madhouse,

if you want to avoid people at franz josef glacier you could try the walk to alex knob if its clear for great views , easier walk is chalet lookout at the fox glacier

http://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap/nz26 ... West-Coast

http://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap/nz26 ... West-Coast
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 6:22 pm

added updates to my original comments above
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hallu » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 6:35 pm

Great, thanks for all the help ! I'll negotiate with my friends about removing Punakaiki, it looks indeed like a small platform overlooking the rocks, it wouldn't be fun to wait in line just to take a picture...
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 6:42 pm

avalanche peak at arthurs park if the weather is clear. 1100m climb, great views. or something easier wander up bealey spur till you get a view, or lagoon saddle something in between
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hallu » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 7:23 pm

Yup I think we're gonna go with the easy version. A 1100 m ascent is a bit harsh for the first walk of the trip, although I plan to be fitter than I am now by Christmas.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 8:30 pm

Hallu wrote:Yup I think we're gonna go with the easy version. A 1100 m ascent is a bit harsh for the first walk of the trip, although I plan to be fitter than I am now by Christmas.

Me too. But we haven't got long :?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to New Zealand