Winter Trekking around the South Island, NZ

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Winter Trekking around the South Island, NZ

Postby pflynt » Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:06 pm

Hi-
I have done quite of few tramps around NZ, Gillespie, Mt Armstrong, round the mountain circuit, etc... Attempted MT Aspiring summit about 10+ years ago but weather turned us back.

I have done a bit of winter tramping, so know how to use an ice axe and crampons, but its been a few years. I have about 4 to 5 days holiday in the first week of August and would like to do a tramp that would get me back into the alpine snow line to brush up my snow skills.

Was thinking of Kepler circuit or possibly even aspiring up to french ridge hut. I guess Cascade Saddle would be suicidal at this time, but if it is doable, would like to know.

Any recommendations for a 4 to 5 day trek around the south island would be much appreciated.
pflynt
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Winter Trekking around the South Island, NZ

Postby wayno » Mon 27 Jul, 2015 4:28 pm

your're in the wrong forum use the new zealand sub forum thanks, and take note of the recent deaths on the Kepler Track due to avalanche.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby aloftas » Sun 02 Aug, 2015 9:41 am

oh my, the wrong forum....

for *&^%$# sake
aloftas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby wayno » Sun 02 Aug, 2015 10:34 am

sorry to seem pedantic.
if people are going to go to the trouble of offering a response, i dont think its too much to ask for the topic to go in the correct sub forum for future reference for those wanting similar information
i've lost track how many times the same question gets asked over and over, and having the topic in the correct sub forum can greatly help reduce people missing it and asking a similar question again...
there were quite a few specific questions for NZ hence the sub forum being created for one are for people to find information easily rather than trawl through the queries around all the other countries..
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MickyB » Sun 02 Aug, 2015 10:43 am

wayno wrote:sorry to seem pedantic.
if people are going to go to the trouble of offering a response, i dont think its too much to ask for the topic to go in the correct sub forum for future reference for those wanting similar information
i've lost track how many times the same question gets asked over and over, and having the topic in the correct sub forum can greatly help reduce people missing it and asking a similar question again...
there were quite a few specific questions for NZ hence the sub forum being created for one are for people to find information easily rather than trawl through the queries around all the other countries..

Wayno, I'm not sure if you realize but it was pflynt's first post and might not be familiar with the forum. Maybe cut him some slack. You could have politely pointed him in the right direction as to where to find the info or helped to answer his questions directly.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Sun 02 Aug, 2015 10:47 am

i did request if the admin could move the thread when i first saw it but theres been no response there unfortunately

NZ sub forum is under the international forum

viewforum.php?f=59
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 5:13 pm

Where to start for information on walking in NZ

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=14366
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby geoskid » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 8:25 pm

pflynt wrote:Hi-
I have done quite of few tramps around NZ, Gillespie, Mt Armstrong, round the mountain circuit, etc... Attempted MT Aspiring summit about 10+ years ago but weather turned us back.

I have done a bit of winter tramping, so know how to use an ice axe and crampons, but its been a few years. I have about 4 to 5 days holiday in the first week of August and would like to do a tramp that would get me back into the alpine snow line to brush up my snow skills.

Was thinking of Kepler circuit or possibly even aspiring up to french ridge hut. I guess Cascade Saddle would be suicidal at this time, but if it is doable, would like to know.

Any recommendations for a 4 to 5 day trek around the south island would be much appreciated.

Hiya pflynt,

Welcome to the forum,
I can't give you any specific advice about NZ, Iv'e only done 3 walks there, but sooo envious - love the place. Congrats on getting back into it!
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Return to New Zealand