woman-dead-after-fall-waterfall face-mt-aspiring-park

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

woman-dead-after-fall-waterfall face-mt-aspiring-park

Postby wayno » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 4:11 pm

Waterfall Face, Rabbit Pass,
Wilkin River.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7493622 ... ional-park

A 24-year-old woman has fallen to her death in Mt Aspiring National Park.

Police said they understood the woman and her climbing partner, both from overseas, were part way through a four-day trek from Makarora.

They were negotiating the Matukituki Waterfall face, near Rabbit Pass, when the fall happened about 1pm on Wednesday.

Another group who were nearby gave immediate assistance and alerted emergency services using a satellite phone.

Police and Alpine Cliff Rescue personal were flown into the area and recovered the woman's body by 5pm.

No details on the woman's identity would be released until family overseas had been notified, police said.

The death was the third at Mt Aspiring National Park this year.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: woman-dead-after-fall-waterfall face-mt-aspiring-park

Postby newhue » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 6:38 pm

Unfortunate but inevitable however. Any idea how many pass through that way per year wayno
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby wayno » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 3:01 am

not a massive no, my guess is maybe around the low hundreds if that, theres only a few months of the year its typically done, usually in summer, snow conditions would have to be pretty hard and stable to attempt it and you cant guarantee those conditions for long. technically its less dangerous than cascade saddle which has the most accidents and deaths of any walking route. but cascade saddle is a lot closer to the road end and can be accessed a lot faster so it gets a lot more people on it who arent experienced in that terran.
as it says the people doing rabbit pass were on a four day tramp which is standard for that route and they are usually more experienced and better equipped. people often do cascade saddle in road running shoes with little tread and a floppy sole which can contribute to accidents if its wet or snowy.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 9:19 pm

wayno wrote: technically its less dangerous than cascade saddle which has the most accidents and deaths of any walking route. but cascade saddle is a lot closer to the road end and can be accessed a lot faster so it gets a lot more people on it who arent experienced in that terran.

I would think that Rabbit Pass is a LOT more technical and a LOT more dangerous than Cascade Saddle (Having visited both in good conditions). As well - Rabbit Pass is tricky to get up (the Waterfall Face) and tricky to get down. I would not think a lot of people do Rabbit Pass - you can get a feel for the numbers by looking at the hut logbook at Upper Wilkins. Perhaps a few dozen a season?

Cascade Saddle is a lot easier to access and I would expect it to get a lot more traffic.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Fri 11 Dec, 2015 3:20 am

sorry, you're correct dave, i meant to say cascade saddle is technically less dangerous. I was in a rush. the waterfall face is steeper and more exposed.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Fri 11 Dec, 2015 5:08 am

more info and advice about the accident and the route.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-la ... -team-says
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby newhue » Sat 12 Dec, 2015 4:33 am

Thanks wayno, Just hope no measures are put in place to stop, restrict, or alter the route. That close to the edge you often get when doing specie walks is tramping/walking's greatest asset. Even that pic in the last link you posted brings wonder, excitement, and freedom to the heart. A few years back I lost a dearly treasured mate who was extremely experienced to a fall. Not being silly, conditions were good, just an accident. Bless his beautiful soul, and long live the freedom of walking.
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby wayno » Sat 12 Dec, 2015 5:02 am

after the last death on the cascade saddle, a coroners inquiry looked at putting a chain on the pass, they opted not to because it was often affected by heavy snow a lot of the year,
so the topic of a chain may come up again...
a guiding company put in some fixed rope around the top of the waterfall face when they are guiding their clients..
weather conditions were ideal at the time, sometimes people stray off the route which isnt that obvious. but it seems they were on the correct route.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby farefam » Wed 16 Dec, 2015 12:26 pm

I completely agree with David Noble. The warnings DOC advise about the dangers of the Waterfall Face are accurate. I remember letting out a big involuntary whoo-hoo when I safely reached the top of it in ideal conditions.
Only tackle it in dry conditions and I'd say always have 3 grips at all times when doing the final traverse. It's an awfully long way to fall. And I wouldn't worry if you don't do the face, as I think the best scenery on the trip is on the leadup to the Waterfall Face (especially the North Wilkins Valley), not after it.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnrs » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 9:20 am

Cold, wet,vague and scary as.
Nearly forty years later the Waterfall face remains imprinted in my memory...........
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Ndevr » Sat 26 Dec, 2015 12:23 pm

Post removed with respect and condolences to the deceased; Ndevr
Last edited by Ndevr on Mon 28 Dec, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ndevr
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Sun 27 Dec, 2015 5:31 pm

Off topic ndever. Not a trip planning thread. Out of respect please don't raise your own trip planning on this thread. Much appreciated thanks.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New Zealand