Cecil Peak (NZ) - Has anyone?

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cecil Peak (NZ) - Has anyone?

Postby PatAries1971 » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 9:54 am

Hi there,
A mate and I are headed to Queenstown NZ, to catch the taxi across the lake and spend 2 nights up on Cecil Peak. Doing this in mid-October.

We've spoken to the owners of the farm (yes, it's on private land), so all good from that perspective.

Just wondering if anyone has walked it, and/or camped on it? Love to hear any experiences.

Pat
PatAries1971
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Cecil Peak (NZ) - Has anyone?

Postby PatAries1971 » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:34 am

Here is a pic of it, just for a memory-jogger....
Attachments
B5A61DC9-D666-3BA5-30E8BC045E4F6C42.jpg
Cecil Peak
B5A61DC9-D666-3BA5-30E8BC045E4F6C42.jpg (34.77 KiB) Viewed 12888 times
PatAries1971
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby FootTrack » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 11:00 am

Unfortunately I haven't climbed it so I can't help you sorry, Pat.

It definitely caught my eye when I was in Queenstown though, and I had similar urges to get up there! To be honest, I was actually a bit disappointed when I found out it wasn't Ben Lomond! :wink:

If you've got the time afterwards I'd be seriously keen to read a trip report and see a few photos!

Good luck with the trip, I hope it goes well :)
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 2:06 pm

I spent a week in the adjacent Lochy Valley last year fly fishing. V beautiful. Great looking peaks, but I was more interested in trout!

An expensive boat ride from QTown - $350 return, I recall, but there ain't many other choices. And even though I ended up getting a boat ride back with the station manager, and gave the QTown water taxi 24 hrs notice, there was no refund.

Enjoy.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby PatAries1971 » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 9:43 am

andrewa wrote:I spent a week in the adjacent Lochy Valley last year fly fishing. V beautiful. Great looking peaks, but I was more interested in trout!

An expensive boat ride from QTown - $350 return, I recall, but there ain't many other choices. And even though I ended up getting a boat ride back with the station manager, and gave the QTown water taxi 24 hrs notice, there was no refund.

Enjoy.

A

Thanks Andrew; Maybe they have changed pricing but the smaller boat is now $260 return to Hidden Island. Not cheap, but as its equiv one night of fancy accommodation and gains access to a spot so many see but so few walk on, then i'm onto it! :) Hope you caught plenty of trout! :)
PatAries1971
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby PatAries1971 » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 9:45 am

FootTrack wrote:Unfortunately I haven't climbed it so I can't help you sorry, Pat.

It definitely caught my eye when I was in Queenstown though, and I had similar urges to get up there! To be honest, I was actually a bit disappointed when I found out it wasn't Ben Lomond! :wink:

If you've got the time afterwards I'd be seriously keen to read a trip report and see a few photos!

Good luck with the trip, I hope it goes well :)

Thanks; seems like you've given me a job :). Yes, I'll post up some notes and pics once done; 52 days to go, but who's counting!
PatAries1971
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby PatAries1971 » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 4:25 pm

So, back from the 2 night jaunt up on Cecil Peak at the start of October. We caught the last of the winter snow up there luckily! What a walk! To be able to walk from the lake and then 1300m elevation later be in the snow with such stunning views was magical. Un-luckily though we underestimated how soft the snow would be, thinking it may have crusted over. It hadn't. So the middle day where we attempted to get to Cecil Peak, we ended up walking 4.5km...in 8 hours! We rued the weight saving decision to leave the snow shoes behind! Alas we didn't make it (by some 500m), but had to turn back as would have run out of light.

So - tips?
1. Speak to the Cecil Peak Station owners for permission - they really appreciate it and will also direct to the best routes during times like lambing (it is a working sheep farm).
2. The map within the Southern Alps Photography site (http://www.southernalpsphotography.com/ ... Cecil-Peak) is a good one. Otherwise, plot the routes off the topo maps - it's not that hard. General direction is UP!
3. Do it. It was our first NZ walk like this, but will be back for sure.

Pics attached :)
Attachments
DSCF3860.JPG
DSCF3884.JPG
IMG_4831.JPG
IMG_4837.JPG
View towards Queenstown
DSCF3911.JPG
PatAries1971
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii