Walk suggestions for NZ

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walk suggestions for NZ

Postby Bluegum Mic » Mon 09 May, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone has some good suggestions for 1/2 to full day walks easily reached from queenstown NZ. We will be there in late August and I don't plan on taking my snowshoes so below snowline is best.
cheers
Mic
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Walk suggestions for NZ

Postby Maelgwn » Mon 09 May, 2011 4:36 pm

I did the Rees-Dart track five years ago, which is a four day walk, starts near Glenorchy, which is about 1 hour west (ish) around the lake from Queenstown. Wandering up the Dart Valley could be nice ... flat but should have some good views of the mountains from there.

Rob Roy Glacier in Mt Aspiring is about a 3 ? hour walk from memory and is quite nice. Probably 2ish hours drive to get there though, very scenic drive parts of the way too.

Easily reached - will you have a car?
Last edited by Maelgwn on Mon 09 May, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Walk suggestions for NZ

Postby Bluegum Mic » Mon 09 May, 2011 4:46 pm

Thankyou. They sound perfect. I'll look into them further and yes (sorry I should have put that in) we will have a car so can travel an hour or two no problem.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby photohiker » Mon 09 May, 2011 5:55 pm

If you are looking for 1/2-1 day walks, there is good walking from Queenstown itself up Queenstown Hill reserve NE of town. It's a trail that climbs through conifer forest to open land at the top with spectacular views over Lake Wakatipu and the Remarkables etc in the distance. Elevation from Queenstown to the top is around 500m if you trek over to the peak of Queenstown Hill (907m) Beware the false summit! :)

Also, don't forget that you can get very high quality LINZ mapping from NZ for free: LINZ Topo Maps Chooser
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Mon 09 May, 2011 7:07 pm

Unfortunately the Aspiring national park is not as easily reached in August.
The river fords can get quite scary in winter, you'd want a decent 4wd.
I was there again last December and the fords were still enough to stop quite a few people.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Nick S » Mon 09 May, 2011 9:25 pm

Take the gondola up from Q'town and walk up the trail to Ben Lomond! It's got awesome views at around 1750m height. About 4-5 hours.
Nick S

Region: Tasmania

Postby Nick S » Mon 09 May, 2011 9:28 pm

Oh just wait.. in August. Well scrub that. Just go skiing.
Na I'm sure there are still a bunch of tracks around.
Nick S

Region: Tasmania

Postby Azza » Mon 09 May, 2011 9:37 pm

Nick S wrote:Oh just wait.. in August. Well scrub that. Just go skiing.

100% agree there.... 8)
Azza

Walk suggestions for NZ

Postby Bluegum Mic » Mon 09 May, 2011 9:47 pm

Ha! Fear not guys. Most of my time will be on the slopes and doing family things. I'm just hoping to squeeze in a walk or two when I'm there.
The walk up ben lomond sounds nice. Last time I was in queenstown we did the gondola at night with the whole dinner n show so it will be great to head up there by day. I've also got to have a go on the luge (closed due to snow last time I was there) and make it to milfords. (avalanches had closed the roads). As you can see we had lots of snow when I was there in 06. To sea level in fact :-)
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kymboy » Sun 29 May, 2011 1:04 pm

Hey Mic
You could do a day walk along the Routeburn Track starting from the Glenorchy end along the Route Burn. It's about a 20 k return trip to Routeburn Falls and back. Or about 12 to Routeburn Flats and back.

Another option is a ramble up the Greenstone or Caples Valleys without doing the whole loop.

Kym
kymboy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Walk suggestions for NZ

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sun 29 May, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks kym. I looked into the Routeburn, got excited as a company does a guided 16km day walk from queenstown with transfers, then saw it was seasonal. I was planning to drive up that way anyway to take a look around and do a small walk with hubby and toddler who has the attention span of bobo (so I emphasize small walk). Is the loop you mentioned easily walked in winter or does it get up into the snowline?
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Marwood » Sun 29 May, 2011 1:42 pm

The Hollyford track is meant to be a good winter option, since it's all low altitude. Haven't done it myself.
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby kymboy » Sun 29 May, 2011 1:55 pm

We just did the 3 day walk with Ultimate Hikes in April. The "loop" is not so much a loop as just up and back. Walk half the distance you feel like walking then turn around :-) It's a fairly flat "skipping" section of track. Skipping means it's wide enough so you and your partner can skip along holding hands. We saw a number of day walkers on that part of the track. And it's below the snow line. But check with DOC in Queenstown just to be sure.
kymboy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Walk suggestions for NZ

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sun 29 May, 2011 3:25 pm

Yes DOC in Queenstown will be the first port of call. I must say I will have to play it all by ear as it's going to be so weather/snow season dependent at that time of year. I know last time I was there in August for 19 days in 06 we had snow to sea level..couldn't even get into milfords for a cruise and the luge in queenstown was closed the day we wanted to do it due to snow on the track :-) Great skiing and boarding though!
I'd love to do Hollyford Marwood but if I took off for 4 days I think our family holiday would end in certain divorce ;-)

Can't wait to get over there!
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby quietfish » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 4:59 pm

Nick S wrote:Take the gondola up from Q'town and walk up the trail to Ben Lomond! It's got awesome views at around 1750m height. About 4-5 hours.

Agreed it is a fantastic walk and it starts in Queenstown but as Nick said maybe not a goer in winter, still worth going up as far as you can get though? (I have not been up in winter myself). Queenstown hill is nice in winter, some nice slabs up there to boulder on too.
quietfish
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New Zealand

Postby wayno » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:35 am

there can be avalanche danger on the routeburn in august on the higher parts of the track, its still doable as an easy two day walk, to routeburn falls hut and back, depending on how much snow you might get further, its possible to do it in two days, guide not really necessary, its a good track.
the routeburn is a not to be missed track
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby sim1oz » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 11:43 pm

I'm looking for a day walk near Queenstown for the end of July. A friend suggested walking Routeburn Shelter to the Routeburn Falls Hut (17.6 kms) in about 7 hours return. Would that be doable at this time of the year? Anything I should watch out for? Most of the information I've found on the net talks about doing the entire walk in peak (non snow) season so it's not that helpful.

This is my first trip to NZ which won't involve being locked inside an office for all the daylight hours. I really want to get out and actually see something other than the airport and hotel this time. Suggestions welcome.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to New Zealand