5-7 day walk in NZ January

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

5-7 day walk in NZ January

Postby farkewie » Tue 11 Oct, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi,

I have had a browse though the forums but cannot find the info I am after....

Heading to NZ for a couple of weeks in Jan with a few friends and we want to to a walk for about a week. I am looking for something that is a little less common, I dont like crowds on the track with me :? Although it cannot be completely remote as the two people are less experienced than me, but still young and fit.

Also a walk that involve some nice views of the peaks NZ has to offer would be great?

I guess something with similar difficulty to the SCT or even a bit harder, also something that has a reasonable track markings but don't have to be perfect?

Hopefully someone can make sense of this can offer some suggestions :-)
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: 5-7 day walk in NZ January

Postby ferozious » Fri 14 Oct, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi there,

My brother and I went to NZ for the first time last November.
We did the Routeburn Track, Greenstone Track and Caples Track in one big loop. I'm not sure how much distance you and your friends cover in a day. We like to push ourselves a bit (20 - 30km/ day or more).
The Routeburn Track is just a little bit 'touristy' but it definitely does display some of the great peaks and valleys that NZ South Island has to offer. The Greenstone and Caples Tracks are great walks down wide valleys with majestic mountain ranges on either side. We only bumped into two other groups on our 2 days there.

Day 1.
We started at the Routeburn Shelter on Day 1 afternoon and walked to Lake McKenzie by sunset. Conical Peak in the late afternoon was the highlight. A permit is required to camp at Lake McKenzie ($15 for campsite or $30ish for the hut, but there is no camping permitted elsewhere along the track). Lake McKenzie is a great alpine lake underneath towering twin peaks.

Day 2.
We continued up the Routeburn Track to ?Lake Horden? (I'm starting to forget the names now). Then departed the Routebrun track and headed up to McKellar Saddle. This was our first experience of NZ mud. Shin deep but probably nothing for anyone who's taken a walk in Tassie. Once up on the saddle the views are Spectaaaaaaaaaculaaaaaarrrrr. We had a massive day walking all the way down the Caples Valley and up the Greenstone Valley to Greenstone Hut. We were knackered by the end, and this could be enjoyed more if given a few days. (we were short on time though).

Day 3.
We then headed up the Greenstone Valley to Lake McKellar and camped the night in the watershed between Lake McKellar and ?Lake Horden? The views backdown Greenstone Valley bring to mind the scenes of grand valleys in Gondor and Rohan from 'the Lord of the Rings'. From our campsite we did a sunset walk up to ??Keystone SUmmit?? This was simply STUNNNNNNNNNNNING!

Day 4. We spent 2 hours hiking out to the Milford Sound Road for out pick up.

I havent done any of the other major walks in NZ so can't compare my experience but for our first time there I was very satisfied. I've seen a lot what NSW Bushwalking, climbing and canyoning have to offer but this was something different altogether.

Other cool places to visit if you pass them are:

- Climbing Fox peak up from Fox Glacier. (This is a strenuous steep climb gaining >1km vertical height up an AMAZING ridgeline. We got fogged in but I'd expect a great view of the ocean would be had. Once you've gained that height, there's almost a further 2kms to be gained to get to the nearby Mt. Cook!

- The skyline track at Wanaka. Climbing up Roy's Peak is also a steep climb gaining 1km vertical height but with AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING views at the top. Climbing up through the farmland, you are reminded that NZ really does have 15 billion sheep.
ferozious
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby andrewbish » Sat 15 Oct, 2011 8:11 am

Hi farkewie (helluva handle, that one - is it phonetic?)

You can try this link here: http://tramper.co.nz/?view=trackSearch

There's a few bros lurking around this forum so hopefully one of them will pop up soon with something more specific.
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Sat 15 Oct, 2011 11:47 am

thats a hard one in january, the most scenic places are the most busy in january, you could try something like fie passes in the routeburn area, near queenstown, you'd have to do some research on it though, you will probably come across other people but it definitley won't be overcrowded, provided the weather is good you'll get some great views....
make sure you do your homework wherever you go, there were several fatalities last year with people wanting to go into out of the way places with scenic peaks and they were out of their depth, places like the darran mountains and mt cook are only for the most experienced if you're climbing high.
if you want something less demanindg theres lewis pass area where its easier to get onto the tops but the peaks arent as dramatic as down south.
theres various trips you can do around kahurangi national park and get off the beaten track but there are some danger spots around there , but generally it's a safe area to tramp in.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby farkewie » Tue 18 Oct, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies!.

Currently looking at this walk but int he opposite direction.
http://tramper.co.nz/?1962

andrewbish wrote:Hi farkewie (helluva handle, that one - is it phonetic?)

lol, yes. it was a name that stuck with me for about 8 years. I must say you are the first person to question it. I really should change it, most the time I just use my real name these days.
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sef » Tue 18 Oct, 2011 11:12 pm

Travers/Sabine is on the backpacker and club tramp circuit, so there'll be a lot of people on the track. It's a nice part of the world though.

If you have a car, you might also consider the Huxley/Hopkins area near Twizel. Huts, tracks, big scenery, relatively quiet.
sef
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wayno » Wed 19 Oct, 2011 3:35 am

watch the rivers in rain, they arent all bridged as you head through the middle section,
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Return to New Zealand