Rees Dart & Caples Track numbers - Late March

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Rees Dart & Caples Track numbers - Late March

Postby forest » Fri 03 Feb, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi All

Working towards a trip late March back to NZ. (Couldn't complete the Routeburn with my wife due to aerial avalanch bombing in early Nov last year)
Will just go solo this time..... Unless someone else want to join along..

Do the Routeburn - Caples loop over 3 nights, Then do the Rees Dart Track over 4 nights, weather pending to the Glacier side trip.

What are the numbers like in late March on these track's.
I'm hoping they might be toned back a little to peak summer season ???
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Rees Dart & Caples Track numbers - Late March

Postby Rob A » Fri 03 Feb, 2012 9:18 pm

Good late march last year. Do the Rees Dart backwards and you will only pass the occasional tramper going the right way, good for a chit chat then gone. Bank another day on it, take a tent and spend the arvo up the glacier cas saddle side trip, and wander back and out over the rees saddle the next day. If you are relying on track transport at that time of year they might only have an early morning pick up from Muddy Creek when they deliver the right wayers, and I reckon its worth tenting it in the cattle flats or hide in one of the cow sheds for an early start so you make it. That way you wont be waiting at Chinaman's Bluff arvo sandfly club.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Postby wayno » Sat 04 Feb, 2012 3:34 am

there were a reasonable no of people in the huts on the rees dart at the end of march last year, about two thirds full. not overloaded as it gets in summer though, it will vary from day to day.
caples can be similar no;s then as well. book the routeburn in advance, it can still fill up at the last minute, a lot of people expect to be able to bowl up and book it the day before. but it won't necessarily be at capacity.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby forest » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks guys.

I think I have a plan.
Just need to hear back from the tranport people so I know that I can get around between the tracks.

At this stage I'll do the cascade saddle side trip, up and back in a day, that would give me two nights at Dart Hut.
Going to be the first week of April now in the Rees Dart, fingers crossed on the weather (yeh, right :oops: it's NZ)

Should I take a tent ?? I don't plan on camping while I'm there.
Seems a pain to lug one if I don't need it.
If I did take one should I just take my ZPacks Hexamid as a last resort or should I take the BA Seedhouse 2.
Definately take my 3/4 thermarest incase the beds are full in the huts.

forest

Postby roysta » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 5:34 pm

Having been there in April 5 years ago, my guess is you'll be fine, leave the tent at home.
It's never a bad thing to throw in the inflatable mattress, but Dart Hut's a biggie and there'll be spare mattresses to plonk out in the common area.
It's a good time of the year to be there, enjoy.
roysta

Postby Rob A » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 11:23 pm

Forest, the transport bus from Queenstown(?) will drop you at Glenorchy, where you switch to a smaller bus to drop you off mornings at Muddy Ck (Rees), and picks up afternoon at Chinamans Bluff (Dart).
Its all pretty simple. If you unsure about what to take over, you can generally leave excess stuff at your accommodation or with transport and pick it up when you get back.
Day tripping up to Blue Glacier or up to the Saddle, then theres no need for a tent. To be honest I wouldnt trouble with the sleeping mat either.
Maybe it will be livelier this year, March last year might have been atypical after the earthquakes and whatever, but the second last week in the greenstone caples was quiet, and the last week in the Reese Dart was positively deserted.
I got held up for four days in Wanaka by unseasonal bad weather. Because my pick up dates kept going back I was chatting to Glenorchy side track transport quite a bit, and they werent doing set downs and pick ups every day.
From the Matakitaki side, track transport only ran in two days in the last week. Most people going in Rasberry seemed to day trip and or stay on the Aspiring side.
I came down and out the Rees side against the flow, met five going up to the saddle who would return to Dart hut, four vegging in Dart hut, two stragglers coming down from Rees saddle. The next day I met two, who said there were also four Israelis that werent keen, and who got lost then bailed out back to Muddy Ck. The day after Muddy Ck track transport delivered three to the track head, which was good for me because as a pick up I then didnt have to pay 'the only person on the bus surcharge' like I did going in the Mata side, and I would have had to pay going out Chinamans on the day I would have needed it.
Few cars, the odd hitch hiker. I dont think you will struggle finding a bunk in April. Its not a bad romp that time of year.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Postby Rob A » Tue 07 Feb, 2012 7:09 am

Something I am finding quite useful, we have a phone card (works both here and in Kiwi) and international calls are only a few cents a minute.
You can program the pin into your home phone so its only a dail out to local number, then international.
Been well worth it for me, as some of the 'regular' bus services that are not tourist based coach lines do not have email addresses.
If you are doing back country that is no where near the docs based stuff, or transiting between towns its handy to know whether you will be hitching or not.
Add a Kiwi sim card for your mobile and you wont be getting home to scary phone bills either.
Rob A

Postby wayno » Sat 11 Feb, 2012 6:58 pm

dont go to hte dart glacier if anything more than light rain is forecast. the side creeks flash flood in heavy rain....
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby bernieq » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 8:50 pm

I agree with previous comments - you won't need to take a tent for an early April tramp on the Rees/Dart or the Routeburn/Caples and I'd be very surprised if you needed a sleeping mat (still, a mat is light enough to carry for the sense of security - and a comfy seat :)

Do you carry a GPS? There is a gpx file at http://www.tramper.co.nz/?6987 - not needed for navigation but can give you accurate distances.

I thoroughly recommend an early start from Dart Hut to get up above the Dart Glacier and on to Cascade Saddle (weather permitting) as it is simply stunning.
Dart Glacier.jpg
Dart Glacier from above Cascade Saddle

It's worth exploring beyond the saddle up towards the Pylon, too.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Region: Victoria

Postby forest » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 9:00 pm

bernieq wrote:I thoroughly recommend an early start from Dart Hut to get up above the Dart Glacier and on to Cascade Saddle (weather permitting) as it is simply stunning.

It's worth exploring beyond the saddle up towards the Pylon, too.

That's the grand plan !! I'm an early start kind guy so that works in well for me.

Hope the weather is kind but being NZ I'll stay open to that changing....
Bit of a UL'er but no way will I skimp on the rain gear for this one.

No boots though, Inov 8 295 Runners will be what is worn. Figure my feet will be drenched in Goretex boots anyway. (I've been wearing these light shoes for about 12 months now and my feet are pretty used to them and the extra flexing etc)

Noted on the mat, I'll just take my small torso CCF mat which fit's into the bladder section of my pack.

Thanks for the comments and advise. It's appreciated.

There's some stunning scenery up there, cannot wait !!
Looks like a March 27th start (My Birthday so that's cool)

forest

Return to New Zealand