Desktop version
Chatting about the Six Foot Track
Post a reply

Direction?

Sat 14 Jan, 2017 9:03 pm

Heya - planning on doing the Six Foot Track in May and am thinking about going from Jenolan to Katoomba, just so once I get back I can jump a train back to Sydney. It will be a 2-day hike staying at Alum Creek. I've heard the track is easier done this way however I'm not sure what people mean by that, I'm assuming they mean climbing? But would be interested in hearing peoples views on going this direction over Katoomba-Jenolan. Cheers.

Re: Direction?

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 6:03 am

It is not difficult either way. A few hills regardless. They way you are doing it means you start with a climb and finish with one as well. Pick up your water at the last Little river crossing as the water at Allum creek is not reliable. Filter all water. If you get an early start and walk well you may find you can make it to the Cox's on day one but Allum creek is the closest to a half way camp. Remember you still have to walk to Katoomba at the end so biting off a bit more on the first day may help. May is a good time to do it but there could be some rain.

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 7:14 am

I was planning on calling a cab from the Explorers Tree, I hate road walking

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 9:40 am

jimmeyer176 wrote:I was planning on calling a cab from the Explorers Tree, I hate road walking

It's not that far from the tree to Katoomba Station.

Before you get to the Explorers Tree there is a path next to the Six Foot Track car park that heads towards Katoomba (https://goo.gl/maps/ev2bTRp97nA2). It comes out on the highway here: https://goo.gl/maps/bDHdwot7nHK2 , where a footpath (behind the armco railing) runs all the way to Bathurst Road and then straight along Bathurst Road to the station. Maybe 1-1.5km of highway walking the rest on local streets.

Cheers,
Michael.

P.S. You could try stopping at the Megalong Valley Rd car park looking tired and unwell and see if someone will give you a lift to Blackheath. :D
Last edited by michael_p on Sun 15 Jan, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 9:41 am

jimmeyer176 wrote:I was planning on calling a cab from the Explorers Tree, I hate road walking

Me too but it's only roughly 2km back to the station and mostly downhill. When I did it we started from Jenolan and I think that would still be my preference, unless wanting to spend some time at the caves after the walk. I just hate the thought of climbing up the Black Range with an overnight pack. The hills in the J to K direction are not as daunting IMHO even though you do start and finish with a climb as Xplora said.

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 12:54 pm

I did the walk a bit over 15 years ago with a mate so memory is pretty foggy. We had heavy old style gear.

We got dropped off at the caves. The first people we spoke to were a father and son who had jogged the track from Katoomba that morning! The first people we camped near were a couple from Sydney doing it the other direction. I recall they had red wine and bad blisters.

As above there is a bit of up hill either end.

We walked from the tree into Katoomba and stayed there new years eve.

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 12:05 pm

How far is Little River from Alum Creek? Going from Katoomba to Jenolan?

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 12:35 pm

Same distance as going in the other direction :D

Sorry - couldn't resist

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 12:19 am

Well done...

In my mind I meant was it before or after Alum Creek

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 4:25 am

jimmeyer176 wrote:How far is Little River from Alum Creek? Going from Katoomba to Jenolan?

Not far past Allum Creek, going from Katoomba to Jenolan, you will cross Little river for the first time and then soon after that again and my fading memory tells me a third crossing shortly after that. If you need an exact distance then best to look at a map. It is relatively flat walking between these two locations and will not take long to traverse.

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 9:29 pm

Bumping this up, have a few days in a row off during the next month or so and thought...why not?! It seems an iconic walk that I just haven't done. I like learning about history and it seems there is a bit to learn about this one. I am not fussed that others have been less than impressed with the vistas and management trails, any opportunity to walk is a good one in my eyes and the landscape will certainly be different to my local area.

I am reading lots of pro-Jenolan to Katoomba comments. Is this the go? I know I can shuttle it from the Caves back to Katoomba if I leave my car in K, so either way would be okay from a logistical point of view for me. Interested to hear thoughts/rationale for one way over the other.

Also, people who have walked it, is 2 or 3 days the go? Which did you do, were you happy you chose to do it that way and why?

While I am on a run asking questions; because the track is so well known and pretty accessible to the masses, should I expect hooligans and huge crowds midweek? As that would probably dampen my enthusiasm and I would pick somewhere else to spend my few days off.
Last edited by Ms_Mudd on Sat 16 Feb, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 10:29 pm

I've done it J to K over 3 days (Friday to Sunday) and that made sense for us. Left the car at Katoomba and took the bus to Jenolan.
Had lunch there and walked to the Black Range camp site in the afternoon. Not a great distance so it was an easy day.
A few others camping, not many. Rained most of the next day as we descended Black Range etc. Overall easier in this direction I think.
Camped at Coxs River the second night which was more crowded due to 4WDs etc nearby, but they were away from us so not too bad/loud.
Walked the last and possibly the best section on day 3 to finish. You could certainly compress it to 2 days if desired.
We didn't experience any hooligans but there were some trail bikes at one point that I could have done without.
Even if it's busy it's unlikely that there will be "huge" crowds but it depends on your own perception of that.

Thu 14 Feb, 2019 8:38 am

Thank you for your excellent reply johnw, muchly appreciated.

I never ususally see anyone walking locally, or at most, one other group. Totally prepared for seeeing more people on the SFT, just didn't know if it would be 'bumper to bumper' traffic on the trail itself, it sounds like it isn't. Great!

A leisurely lunch and walk sounds like a great way to start a walk to me, at least then when I am tired at the end, I can just jump in my car and start the 5 hr drive home rather than waiting for a bus etc.

Thu 14 Feb, 2019 9:11 pm

Rightio, booked my shuttle from Katoomba to Jenolan. Game on!
Last edited by Ms_Mudd on Sat 16 Feb, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat 16 Feb, 2019 5:12 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:Rightio, booked my shuttle from Katoomba to Jenolan. Game on!

Sent you a PM with some info I do not want shared on the internet.

Sat 16 Feb, 2019 8:18 am

Thank you Xplora

Wed 06 Mar, 2019 7:56 pm

Just arrived home from Katoomba.
Finished at Explorer's Tree around lunch time today. Was really happy with J to K direction. Day 2 done in the other direction would have been quite demoralising I think. It wasn't the nicest part of the track and although I enjoyed pottering along going down it, up wouldn't have seen me so happy.
Today from Cox's River to Katoomba was obviously a reasonable amount of ascent, but it was nice walking, so the 'up' didn't bother me at all. It was super convenient to get back to my car at whatever time I wanted and structure my day around that- it would have been a huge wait at the Caves for the afternoon shuttle.

My crowd concern was unfounded. I saw my first and only other walkers today, at the bottom of Nellie's Glen, they were heading in the opposite direction.

So thank you to those who responded, the suggestions made for a smoother trip for me. Special thanks to Xplora too for the PM :D
Post a reply