Basically a road?

Chatting about the Six Foot Track

Basically a road?

Postby jimmeyer176 » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 8:06 pm

Heya - hiked from Explorers Tree to Megalong Road and was fairly unimpressed, is the track basically a road?
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Basically a road?

Postby rcaffin » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 9:09 pm

It gets better after that.
Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 9:21 pm

Yes, the best part is always the section just beyond the turn back point.,. :mrgreen:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 6:00 am

rcaffin wrote:It gets better after that.
Cheers
Roger

Until you get to the river and then it is a road again with vehicle access until you cross the Jenolan Caves Road.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Grabeach » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 7:30 am

jimmeyer176; Don't know if you're aware of the history, but none of what you walked is the original formation. By the end of the 60s, much of the formation was destroyed by roads or attempted roads in the case of Nellies Glen. The only original bits, which in my view are also the most scenic, are the short sections down to the caves and down to the Coxs River. To my mind, the rest of the walk becomes more interesting if you know the history.If you're able to, have a read of Jim Smith's "From Katoomba to Jenolan Caves The Six Foot Track 1884 - 1984".
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jimmeyer176 » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 8:33 am

Yeah I knew it was an old bridle path however I was on actual roads, 3-4 metres wide, it was depressing at times. I'm not sure if it's worth finishing, but at least the first 8kms are done, the last part of that hike was quite nice but I really don't wanna waste what little time I have walking down dirt roads. Just wondering why this track is so popular?
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ribuck » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 1:24 am

jimmeyer176 wrote:I really don't wanna waste what little time I have walking down dirt roads. Just wondering why this track is so popular?

It's mostly popular because it is historic, and because it is a route that actually goes somewhere.

You could do two additional sections: from the Megalong Road to the Coxs River and return, and the final descent into Jenolan Caves, both of which are not roads. This spares you the long slog up a dirt road between the Coxs River and the Jenolan Road, but it denies you the satisfaction of having walked to Jenolan Caves from Katoomba.

If it's actually bushwalking you're looking for, there are of course many much better options nearby.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Xplora » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 4:00 am

ribuck wrote:
jimmeyer176 wrote:I really don't wanna waste what little time I have walking down dirt roads. Just wondering why this track is so popular?

It's mostly popular because it is historic, and because it is a route that actually goes somewhere.

You could do two additional sections: from the Megalong Road to the Coxs River and return, and the final descent into Jenolan Caves, both of which are not roads. This spares you the long slog up a dirt road between the Coxs River and the Jenolan Road, but it denies you the satisfaction of having walked to Jenolan Caves from Katoomba.

If it's actually bushwalking you're looking for, there are of course many much better options nearby.

I would agree 100%. It has been a good introduction to bushwalking for many. School groups use it often and there are guided tours as well. If you are beyond the introduction stage then leave it alone since you do not like roads. Kanangra to Katoomba is a much better option but still the slug along Narrow Neck road which is closed to traffic.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby jimmeyer176 » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 7:25 pm

Replacing it with 32kms on the Great North Walk.
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rcaffin » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 8:12 pm

Replacing it with 32kms on the Great North Walk.

That's got some road bits too. Hard to escape them.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 11:38 pm

Victoria Falls to Govetts Leap or Mount Solitary would be a better option if you want to avoid fire trails. Haven't bothered with the Six Foot Track either for the same reasons but I'll probably walk it some day anyway.

BTW the GNW is an interesting mix of track, fire trails and in some cases PUDS, pointless ups and downs. Haven't walked the whole way to Newcastle but quite like the sections I have walked.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jimmeyer176 » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 12:23 am

Nothing wrong with PUDS, I actually find walking flat on hard packs trails far more damaging to my body than undulating terrain
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Six Foot Track