One Planet pack and tent

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

One Planet pack and tent

Postby waggy » Sun 06 Sep, 2015 4:01 pm

G'day all,
I have just purchased a One Planet pack and tent. I chose the Mungo 55 liter with the Exact Fit Harness. I like the size as I'm trimming down the fat so to speak as I want to carry less but the harness is the selling point. It is almost customized or bespoke in its fit. I've never felt a better fit. I've used it in the field and it does exactly what it says. Carried a load with ease. No bells. No whistles. A serious walkers pack.
The Goondie 1 30D is the same. Most brands stock the same tent. It's great that you have options ie weight versus sturdiness. I chose sturdy. But like I said, the same tent is available in almost all brands, what sets this one apart is the little vestibule on the opposite side of the entrance. It is so user friendly because you can access it from inside the tent. And because it's there, you use it constantly. Well done One Planet.
I hear that there opening their own store in melbourne very soon!! Good. Their product range is made for Australian conditions and you'd be mad not to at least check out their range.
waggy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: One Planet pack and tent

Postby Strider » Sun 06 Sep, 2015 6:15 pm

Were you paid by One Planet to post this? Reviews of brand new, never been used gear really aren't all that helpful IMO.

One Planet do make excellent gear though and their pack quality is second to none. I'm not a fan of the porthole style vestibule access on the Goondie 1, but to each his own. Glad your happy with your purchases :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby waggy » Mon 07 Sep, 2015 6:39 am

Not paid unfortunately. What does IMO mean?
I see now I'm meant to include price and where I tested. I bought the pack some time ago and the tent was heavily discounted at Pinnicle.
I've used both doing the crosscut saw, mt spec, Viking circuit in the Alpine National Park where I had pretty good weather but a lot of wind. Tent stood up to it no probs. it's been in the rain down the prom and not a leak. The access suits me well but I'm a midget. I can see it would be not ideal for someone larger but that is the issue with most one man tents.
I'll look up what I paid for in the pack and the tent.
Cheers
waggy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby waggy » Mon 07 Sep, 2015 6:42 am

IMO...in my opinion....
Der. Im not used to doing these things. Sorry.
waggy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby weeds » Mon 07 Sep, 2015 7:34 am

Welcome board waggy......one planet we have is a goondie 2 and goondie 3, plus a strezleckie and an outdoor Ed back packs

Good to see you have put to the test.
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Thornbill » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 1:13 pm

One Planet do make great gear. I used one of their packs almost everyday for 6 months when working in the sub-Antarctic. It stood up to plenty of punishment.
peng.jpg
peng.jpg (134.72 KiB) Viewed 10810 times

I purchased a Goondie 1 30D about 18 months ago, and have no complaints. I too am a fan of the port hole vestibule. On a couple of really cold still nights I have found condensation build up to be a problem though. But I guess that's true of any 1 man tent to a degree.
How would a cubist paint a flounder?
Thornbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to Gear Reviews