Salomon speed cross trail runners

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

Salomon speed cross trail runners

Postby davecambo » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 10:37 pm

Anyone have a pair of these shoes, I like the look of them but am concerned with the lace system. Looks like you can't do a lace lock style lace up. Does your heel move around? Cheers.

And no I can't try a set on

Sent from my SM-N9007 using Tapatalk
davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Salomon speed cross trail runners

Postby photohiker » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 7:36 am

Pity you can't try a pair on.

I think they use the quicklace system, which is a kevlar string with a cinch system and a lace pocket to hold the excess lace when done up. I've used the quicklace that comes on my Salomons (not speedcross) for quite a while, and have never had any heel cup lift. The quicklace does eventually wear out and is replaceable, but they seem to last as long as the tread. I think the Salomon engineers have got it about right.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby n5750547 » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 8:11 am

photohiker wrote:Pity you can't try a pair on.

I think they use the quicklace system, which is a kevlar string with a cinch system and a lace pocket to hold the excess lace when done up. I've used the quicklace that comes on my Salomons (not speedcross) for quite a while, and have never had any heel cup lift. The quicklace does eventually wear out and is replaceable, but they seem to last as long as the tread. I think the Salomon engineers have got it about right.

I also have a pair of Salomons with this type of lace. Zero issues so far and definately agree that the shoe will probably fail before the lace system does. The replacement systems go for $10 - $15 .

I did read that there were some shoes (X Ultra) that had issues straight out of the box, however, Salomon apparently fixed this with replacement laces.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
n5750547
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby davecambo » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 9:05 am

brilliant!

exactly the feedback I was after and so glad I joined this forum.

they are on sale for 119 bucks at the moment. to get around trying shoes on I phone the shop and get them to measure the insole with a tape measure and im good to go!

thanks guys.
davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby john l » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 10:51 am

i took a pair to NZ in oct there super comfy to wear haven't done a lot of miles yet but i like them

cheers john.
john l
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby simonm » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 11:21 am

I have a pair of Salomon's and really like the lacing system.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Strider » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 10:18 pm

What if they are too narrow/wide or too much/not enough volume for your feet? Much more to footwear than the insole length.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby davecambo » Fri 11 Dec, 2015 8:17 am

Return policy mate. All good

davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby slparker » Fri 11 Dec, 2015 12:45 pm

I've worn salomon trail runners with their quicklaces for years. I have not had the experience of the laces wearing through before the sole, although my last pair of XA pros the quicklace ratchet wore out and wouldn't grip anymore.
I have a pair of replacement laces that I carry in my pack when I walk with the salomons. That's probably overkill, they are kevlar thread.

Be aware that salomons usually are 1/2 size smaller than equivalent brands of running shoe. I always go up half a size. They can often fit narrow with the speedcross being tighter in the forefoot than other models that I have tried on. If you have a wider foot I think that the XA pro or XT wings would be a better fit in their running shoes.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby oyster_07 » Fri 11 Dec, 2015 12:55 pm

+1 for not having issues with Salomon's QuickLace system over numerous pairs for both hiking/bushwalking and trail/mountain running.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby davecambo » Sat 12 Dec, 2015 2:25 pm

I got a us 11 they feel amazing

davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii