Tarptent Stratospire 2

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

Re: Tarptent Stratospire 2

Postby onward » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 8:56 pm

I have SS1 and SS2...had the SS1 in 50-60 kph winds on an open saddle on the Main Range last week and other than the noise and the inner flapping I felt very comfortable in it. If I had known the winds were coming I would found a more sheltered spot. The extra tie outs would have been worth using. The only times I have used them the wind hasn't become as strong as predicted.
Had the SS2 in gusts of up to 80kph as reported at Mt Bulla when we were on Mt Howitt, much the same noisy but stable, a peg did pull out of the ground in the middle of the night but that was operator error.
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Tarptent Stratospire 2

Postby Drew » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 9:54 am

Good to hear that it handles both wind and animals using it as a bridge! I haven't quite decided if I'll take the SS2 to Peru later this year or my heavier, much less spacious Moondance 2. I think I'll be right with the SS2, but I'm wishing I'd bought the solid inner as well as the mesh for the cold nights...
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Gear Reviews