Seal Skinz socks

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

Seal Skinz socks

Postby rocketrm2 » Fri 04 Nov, 2016 8:01 pm

These work really work!
Theses socks are really waterproof.
Recently my son and I walked the UK Coast to Coast Walk, had dry weather for most of the walk.When the rain came it did! Found water up up to our ankles, boots soaked completely! But not our feet, wearing Seal Skinz socks, our feet were absolutely warm and dry. When there is a chance of rain there will always be a pair of these socks in my pack
rocketrm2
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Seal Skinz socks

Postby andrewa » Fri 04 Nov, 2016 8:29 pm

My experience was a bit less exciting. Used them about 10 yrs ago. Decided they weren't as good as they made out to be - they leaked, and weren't that warm.

I replaced them with NRS hydroskin socks - they are thin neoprene, and whilst you do get sweat happening inside, they are at least warm. I use them with hydroskin leggings for fly fishing and packrafting in NZ - better, and more comfortable than waders, but perhaps a "niche" use. I'd probably also use them if bushwalking in the snow, except that I don't do that much - I mostly use skis and/ or snow shoes.

I'm afraid the seal skins didn't work for my uses.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Re: Seal Skinz socks

Postby rocketrm2 » Sun 25 Dec, 2016 9:09 pm

Maybe in the last 10 years the product has improved
rocketrm2
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides