Bryson - A Walk in the Woods review

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

Bryson - A Walk in the Woods review

Postby Eljimberino » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 10:55 am

Hi everyone,

Thought I would share my review of A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.

Please click this link: https://jpquinton.com/2016/02/13/a-walk ... on-review/

Cheers
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Bryson - A Walk in the Woods review

Postby Nuts » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 5:45 pm

hmm, I should read this one again after that.. perhaps not :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby digbyg » Sun 09 Jul, 2017 7:10 pm

I read walk in the woods both before and after completing the AT. Before doing the hike, I felt that Bryson just gave a humorous account of his own bumbling approach to the hike and the people, his sarcasm often misapplied and rude. That is the style that has served him well in many other books, and he deliberately offends the locals as much as he entertains them.
After the hike I was amazed at how well he had encapsulated the feelings of the through hiker despite his own short term involvement. He saw the trivial things, like condensation trickling down the fridge door, that entranced through hikers because of the novelty and the attached meaning, in that case, an energy kick from a soda. It is certainly not an intellectual study of hiking, and he never intended to do the whole thing, but he certainly nailed many of my memories.
digbyg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 6:55 pm

I loved the book, but then I have liked Bill Brysons style since forever
In my mind I always saw Danny De-Vito in the main roll
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Franco » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 5:42 pm

Mr Bryson has a good mix of British humour (that Americans generally don't get), and first hand knowledge of US customs and idiosyncrasies so I like his work but many don't get what it is all about.
He has also written several serious books about science and the English language in particular.
I have read most of them.
There is a good chance that I did spot him having coffee in Lt Bourke St, Melbourne, a few days in a row and regret not having bothered to check.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Fri 20 Oct, 2017 5:56 am

Franco wrote:Mr Bryson has a good mix of British humour (that Americans generally don't get)...

Do you have a good example or two?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Gear Reviews