Cascade Mountaintech Merino Beanie

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

Cascade Mountaintech Merino Beanie

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Sun 21 May, 2017 4:14 am

Hi guys,

Just throwing up a very quick review/testimonial here of my now 2-3 year old Cascade Mountaintech Merino Beanie.

Shop: Costco
Price: 20 bucks for a two pack
Material: 70% Merino, 30% Acrylic. (Fleece layer inside)

These have hands down been the best beanies I have ever owned. 20 bucks for a two pack of well made solid beanies, that pack tiny and fit easily in my pocket, yet still manage to keep me warmer than almost every other beanie I have (except for my giant thick fleece one that has even made me sweat when standing still for a few hours straight in -8°C). These guys come in a two pack (one for me, one for the boss), and were all we needed when traipsing around the northern NSW Snowy mountains last July. I could not recommend this more (this is after looking at the more expensive offerings from Marmot, North Face, Patagonia, Rab, etc at Paddy Pallin). I just bought a second two pack from eBay for $22(Costco only get them once a year in an Aldi-esque arrangement), because the two pack only offers a combination of 1x light grey, and 1x charcoal and my​ partner wanted the same charcoal as me.
It is worth noting that it does not utilize flatlock seams, however I have had minimal itching issues when compared to many other beanies, and have not yet found a beanie that I think can match this one for durability, warmth, pack size, and fit. It is a slim fitting beanie, that can go under a bicycle helmet if you're a winter mountain biker, it can also fit under absolutely any hood thanks to it's slim profile. This thing goes everywhere with me.... in the summer it stays in the car 'just in case', and in the winter it is almost always in a pocket, and on the tracks I have it with me all seasons.

I thought these were a real bargain, and I was very surprised when I found that no other company seem to make a fully comparable product, aside from a few that are almost similar but still not quite on the money.
Attachments
20170521_020250(1).jpg
20170521_020250(1).jpg (149.88 KiB) Viewed 8842 times
20170521_020238(2).jpg
20170521_020238(2).jpg (217.53 KiB) Viewed 8842 times
20170521_020338(1).jpg
20170521_020338(1).jpg (132.13 KiB) Viewed 8842 times
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Cascade Mountaintech Merino Beanie

Postby neilmny » Mon 22 May, 2017 4:47 am

Good report LuxLuthor05. Thanks for posting.
You've got to stop bashing your thumb with hammers man!
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Cascade Mountaintech Merino Beanie

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Fri 26 May, 2017 12:38 pm

neilmny wrote:You've got to stop bashing your thumb with hammers man!

I'm trying!!
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Gear Reviews