S2S Basecamp BT4 first impressions

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

S2S Basecamp BT4 first impressions

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 9:14 am

I have been looking for a sleeping bag for my beloved for a long while. I finally bought one of the largest and warmest camping type sleeping bags I could find.
As nobody in the Geelong area had one and no-one was prepared to order one in for us to look at I bought from Snowys as they had the best current price.
I paid $299- with delivery included in the cost, shipping was the next day and I ordered on Friday at ~1600 and it arrived in Geelong at ~1030 on Tuesday
Out of the box and bag I was impressed by the initial recovery to the fully lofted state. It is a very generous bag, seriously big in the Large version.
For a car camping/basecamp bag it is well thought out and has some nice features such as the sleeve on the bottom of the base to accept a mat up to the ThermaRest Basecamp and similar. Also loops to accept elastic cord and two elasticated / elasticised straps are included to hold it to a different mat if needed.
The sewing and stitching is some of the best I have seen out of China.
The base and the top separate completely and the top is just large enough to use a doona on its own.
The bag is EN rated to -15C Limit and -8C Female comfort so it should be warm enough for Cecile, although I don't know how long the Thermolite fill will retain this rating.
The base uses a single layer of the synthetic fill while the top uses a double layer of Thermolite and the differential cut seems to be generous. While I have no intention of sleeping naked in any bag I have to say that the liner fabric feels good against the skin and the bag is very easy to move around in. Did I mention that is is a big bag? It's huge; there being enough room inside this version for me to wear my full Everest down gear / the USMC Happy Suit or a full winter weight down bag as a liner. Did I mention that the bag is big?
The downside is naturally that it is heavy and won't pack down small. although the supplied compression sack works I will not be using it in its compression mode.
I think this will work fine for The Boss in Tassie next week and for the trip to Uluru next year.
I will update as the bag gets used.
I am not normally generous in my praise but this is a seriously good bag for the purpose.

https://seatosummit.com/product/basecam ... g-bag-bt4/

https://www.snowys.com.au/basecamp-bt4-sleeping-bag
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Gear Reviews