AAWT without food drops

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

AAWT without food drops

Postby vicrev » Fri 29 May, 2015 4:26 pm

This is maybe a silly question as far as the experienced AAWT walkers on this forum are concerned,but, I will still ask it. Can the walk be done without food drops ? Can enough food be picked up at the towns, etc. on the way ?........
vicrev
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

AAWT without food drops

Postby oyster_07 » Fri 29 May, 2015 5:31 pm

Anything can be done, but it's just a question of effort and practicality.
The AAWT does not pass through any towns, although it passes close to Hotham and Thredbo. Bright can be reached relatively easily from Hotham.
It really comes down to a few questions:
* What diet do you want?
* How much can you carry?
* How much do you want to carry?
I once did 1500km on dry rice or dry pasta, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with occasional fresh vegetables from villages. Dry rice and pasta quickly become boring.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: AAWT without food drops

Postby vicrev » Fri 29 May, 2015 6:16 pm

What I am asking,is,can it be done without food drops.....1500k on pasta & rice...how many days was that?.......
vicrev

Postby oyster_07 » Fri 29 May, 2015 6:30 pm

Yes, it can be done, but you will be restricted in what you can access at Hotham and Thredbo. You will also be carrying a very large load both in terms of volume and weight.
One practical idea may be to carry the full trip's worth of dehydrated toppings (individually packaged) and then add them to pasta and/or rice that you source from Hotham and Thredbo (and perhaps Bright).
My 1500km trip was just over two months long, and it was a heavy load....
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby vicrev » Fri 29 May, 2015 7:44 pm

Thanks,Oyster_07.. :)
vicrev

Postby Mark F » Fri 29 May, 2015 9:57 pm

If the issue is lack of vehicle/time to place and retrieve food drops then you can break it into 3 x 12-14 day sections by posting your drops to the YHA at Thredbo and somewhere in Hotham or Falls Creek.
If wanting to carry everything from the start you are looking at 700g per day minimum x 40 day (average time) = 28Kg.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby vicrev » Fri 29 May, 2015 10:05 pm

So,it is doable.....thanks Mark F......... :)
vicrev

Postby madmacca » Sat 30 May, 2015 9:27 am

Mark F wrote:If the issue is lack of vehicle/time to place and retrieve food drops then you can break it into 3 x 12-14 day sections by posting your drops to the YHA at Thredbo and somewhere in Hotham or Falls Creek.
If wanting to carry everything from the start you are looking at 700g per day minimum x 40 day (average time) = 28Kg.

Agree with Mark F's strategy. Supermarket at Thredbo is small but has a pretty reasonable range, so you can pick up most of the staples there. Never been to the one at Hotham, so can't speak for it. Posting just the speciality items will keep the costs down.
madmacca

Postby vicrev » Sat 30 May, 2015 8:27 pm

Has anyone,on this forum,done it without food drops?....
vicrev

Postby madmacca » Sat 30 May, 2015 9:18 pm

vicrev wrote:Has anyone,on this forum,done it without food drops?....

I have not done the entire AAWT without drops, but I have done Tharwa to Thredbo, and Hotham to Taylors Crossing and return, without food drops. 12-14 days of food can be done. Beyond that your pack starts getting seriously heavy.
madmacca

Postby north-north-west » Sat 30 May, 2015 10:50 pm

madmacca wrote:
vicrev wrote:Has anyone,on this forum,done it without food drops?....

I have not done the entire AAWT without drops, but I have done ...(large portions)... without food drops. 12-14 days of food can be done. Beyond that your pack starts getting seriously heavy.

Ditto. 14 days is about my limit, and that's seriously uncomfortable for the first few days.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Kinsayder » Sun 31 May, 2015 9:53 am

madmacca wrote:
Mark F wrote:If the issue is lack of vehicle/time to place and retrieve food drops then you can break it into 3 x 12-14 day sections by posting your drops to the YHA at Thredbo and somewhere in Hotham or Falls Creek.

Agree with Mark F's strategy. Supermarket at Thredbo is small but has a pretty reasonable range, so you can pick up most of the staples there. Never been to the one at Hotham, so can't speak for it. Posting just the speciality items will keep the costs down.

Somebody might be more knowledgeable than me on this but the General (this is the only one I can think of) at Hotham has a small range of food. It's more milk bar than anything. There is a small supermarket at Falls that is a better option.
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to AAWT