Catherine Saddle to East Riley's Water tank

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Catherine Saddle to East Riley's Water tank

Postby Shirlbaz » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 3:16 am

I am in the early stages of planning our walk from Walhalla to Hotham Heights, leaving November 23. Am I correct: there is now no water at all at Barry's Saddle (what happened to that tank?) and we will have to keep walking to the new tank at GR 848967? Is this the tank that John Daley calls 'The East Riley Water Tank'? How well is this section marked now? I'd appreciate contact with anyone who has walked this section lately or who is planning to do it this year. Thanks
Shirlbaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Catherine Saddle to East Riley's Water tank

Postby madmacca » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 2:00 pm

AFAIK, the Barry SADDLE water tank is still there. It is the Barry MOUNTAINS water tank at 844952 that has been removed.

Chapman's update page has more detail http://www.john.chapman.name/aawt-upd.html
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby walkon » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 3:37 pm

madmacca wrote:AFAIK, the Barry SADDLE water tank is still there. It is the Barry MOUNTAINS water tank at 844952 that has been removed.

Chapman's update page has more detail http://www.john.chapman.name/aawt-upd.html

madmacca's correct, Barry Saddle water is still there. Best bush tea around. Its tannin stained though perfectly good.
You shouldn't get lost in that section.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby peregrinator » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 4:42 pm

Lophophaps and others posted on this only a month ago:

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20863
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wilray » Tue 20 Oct, 2015 8:01 am

Hi AAWT recent walkers; We heard that maybe some water tanks on the Barry's section of the AAWT have been vandalised and are now empty as a result, has anyone been there in the last couple of weeks and can report on whether this is so !!!! I have had to pull out due to lack of fitness but the rest of our small group are still leaving on the 1st Nov so wondering about the state of these tanks. If anyone can help that would be great.
thanks, Willy
wilray
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Summitview » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 5:21 pm

I spoke to Parks Vic in Bright today, and they have not visited the tanks yet, so they can not confirm their condition. It sounds like they have credible reports that Barry Saddle Tank and/or the East Riley tank have been affected. They plan to inspect and repair these tanks to the extent possible next week (week starting 2 November). I got the impression that they would not necessarily have time to get to and check the Selwyn and Twins tanks, and that they had not heard reports of these being affected. I am starting walking from Walhalla this Saturday, so I am kinda hoping they can fix whatever needs to be fixed!
Summitview
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 08 Nov, 2015 11:09 am

Summitview wrote:I spoke to Parks Vic in Bright today, and they have not visited the tanks yet, so they can not confirm their condition. It sounds like they have credible reports that Barry Saddle Tank and/or the East Riley tank have been affected. They plan to inspect and repair these tanks to the extent possible next week (week starting 2 November). I got the impression that they would not necessarily have time to get to and check the Selwyn and Twins tanks, and that they had not heard reports of these being affected. I am starting walking from Walhalla this Saturday, so I am kinda hoping they can fix whatever needs to be fixed!

I've just finished this section and all tanks are full or nearly full. After the preciptation a week ago the tank levels will have gone up.
Barry Saddle needs filtering and boiling.
Barry Mountains Tank at 848966 is empty.
Riley Road does not have good camping - too close to the road. TThink about the next hill at 851974.
The Twins Tank is 200 metres past the camping saddle.
Some tanks have a second valve which needs to be opened.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Shirlbaz » Sun 08 Nov, 2015 12:53 pm

Thanks for this. It is great to have up-to-date info like this.
Shirley
Shirlbaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Summitview » Sat 14 Nov, 2015 4:02 pm

Yes Lophophaps is correct. The other tank he did not mention is the tank on top of South Selwyn, which is working beautifully. We passed all five tanks on 10 and 11 November. I don't know what started the rumours of a damaged tanks, but it wasn't very helpful (unless one was actually damaged briefly and then Parks fixed it).
Summitview
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 15 Nov, 2015 10:10 am

Summitview wrote:Yes Lophophaps is correct. The other tank he did not mention is the tank on top of South Selwyn, which is working beautifully. We passed all five tanks on 10 and 11 November. I don't know what started the rumours of a damaged tanks, but it wasn't very helpful (unless one was actually damaged briefly and then Parks fixed it).

Thanks for that. Despite extensive notes and photographs I missed posting above about South Selwyn, about 100 metres on the east side of the summit. Looking from the tank towards the summit:
South Selwyn tank.JPG
South Selwyn tank
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby wilray » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 8:27 pm

I am hoping to do section from spec to Hotham over easter has anyone done this section lately and can you give me any info on track condition and water status, would really appreciate anything you can tell me
wilray
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Stroller » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 3:24 pm

Yes I can help you. I've just arrived in mt Hotham. It would be easier to talk it out on the phone. Ive pmd you myphone number. It's too hard to type a lot of info on my tiny phone.

Btw this whole thread should be removed as being full of outdated and obfuscating information which is now nothing but a waste of time. People are better off starting a new thread if they've got questions about the subject.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Return to AAWT