aawt walker raising awareness for refugees

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

aawt walker raising awareness for refugees

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 08 Oct, 2015 8:40 pm

See this link.
G*d bless her but I am not sure she understands what she is getting herself into.
https://www.facebook.com/Awareness.Refugee.Walk
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Re: aawt walker raising awareness for refugees

Postby Suz » Sat 10 Oct, 2015 10:19 am

Well I wish her luck all the same!
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Xplora » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 6:03 am

I think she will need a bit more than luck and in the end may raise awareness of the need for some experience. There is not a great deal of information about her preparation or which sections she will be doing on her own. I believe she may have some experienced people with her at times but on her first trial walk was frightened by a kangaroo and missed the marker then froze in a less than adequate sleeping bag on the next trip. Her friend from school did the AAWT 2 years ago age 16 to raise awareness of Lyme disease and got lost. She did finish the walk with assistance. Human suffering is not a good thing but is attempting this walk with no experience going to change the views of people on the subject or make a government alter its course. The people giving her support already share her view. I doubt she fully understands the extent of what she has started (or about to start) but it is her cause and she has the support of her parents and she is of voting age. I hope she stays safe.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 8:22 am

Her blog - http://www.isabelbrown.com.au/My-Blog.php
I must say a big buck roo at 3 metres is unnerving specially if it is being somewhat alpha.
It would pay her to know how Malcom Douglas (and Mutley) deals with this situation.

The bigger concerns I read are getting lost or missing the track in the "easy" country.
The story shows signs of lack of attention and mentions "underestimating how fun bush bashing would be for an entire day"............I wonder if bush bashing when on her own and her life depends on is classed as fun.

I truly wish her well but I'm glad it's not my daughter (or son for that matter) out there with her apparent level of experience.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 8:59 am

Hi
I work with people seeking asylum and I hike.
I think I have some experience in both fields.
I wish the person well but I don't think she has really hiked much in Victoria, alone, in the worst weather, with no trail markers, in head high scrub, going up or down a very steep ridge with 30 kgs on her back.
Changing the debate so that you win some converts to the view that innocent humans running for their lives should be treated better than mangy dogs is really where the tipping point remains.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 11:00 am

There are so many solo walks or rides or whatever for so many causes I really wonder how much effect they have making people aware. Many people wanting to raise awareness for a cause only do so after a personal experience with whatever the cause is. This may not be the case for young Isabel and she is clearly passionate about the cause. Until it affects you personally then most people will read and forget it. I would not want this debate to turn into one about whether we agree or not with her cause. For me it is more about whether she should be out there in the first place. Jessica Watson was 16 when she sailed around the world but she had quite a bit of training. Even then there was some disaster. From what I have read so far she has next to no experience. If a kangaroo can put her off track then what is going to happen when she is face to face with a tiger snake. I know it is easy to make arm chair judgements but if she walks any of this track on her own then she is foolish. She is however and adult and needs to take responsibility for her actions. No doubt her family will back her up and hopefully there will be someone with enough experience with her but then that may defeat the challenge.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 2:52 pm

Xplora, I tend to agree with you.
If she walked from town to town and talked to locals about the issue then she might achieve more. On the face of it getting lost or exhausted or injured or frozen or all of these things and then being rescued may not achieve much in regards to the cause that she feels strongly about.
That issue of human rights and asylum seekers is one of my pet causes too but I do volunteer work for an NGO in order to be the change that I want to see in the world.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 4:51 pm

Without turning this into a political discussion I can say without question I think the awareness of the plight of asylum seekers is well known in Australia and rallies around the country today will do more than a walk in the bush and a possible disaster. Most people will be decided on the matter one way or the other by now anyway. There has been no media coverage of this that I am aware of and everything seems to be thrown together at the last moment. Most of what I have read is a fanciful and romantic idea and I just wish someone would have the guts to tell her. As I have said, I hope she stays safe and has some experienced people with her. Maybe the best thing people could offer in support of her cause would be to walk a section with her and hopefully they have more of an idea than her very supportive parents and brother. She is starting sometime this month so I will keep an eye out on the sections I will be near. It is the start of the walking season so some awareness among those on the track to keep an eye out will also be helpful.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 8:46 pm

Yes I agree. If she has hiked even a quarter of the AAWT in Vic. then she would be more cautious , more organized and less carefree & capricious about it all.

Her planning for food drops seems to be slap dash . If it was me then I would have gone in Autumn 2015 and left food supplies and dry clean thermal attire in GPS located caches already .I would have the Map co ordinates and the GPS co ordinates already listed. I would have started hiking already too. It is warming up and snake season is here.

I will be up on the AAWT along different sections at different times between Cup day weekend and up until before Xmas. I have asked her when she might guess that she might appear on the Madison hut ruins/T Spur to Cope Hut section and the Mt Speculation to Mt Magdala section.
She said she has no idea!
Maybe if we hikers on this forum put out a 'calling all trekkers' , look out for this person alert it might come to some good.
I hope she gets out of this alive and well.
How many people she will convert to the ways of compassion , empathy, Love and supporting human rights etc. along the way , well, I don't know.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi, I have just read this young person's blog. She can't spell at all , but worse still she seems to have zero bush walking and bush craft experience. The idea of walking the entire AAWT with zero experience is insanity!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Mon 12 Oct, 2015 5:15 am

I have followed your responses on her fb page and you have done all you can to warn her. In the end it comes down to people taking responsibility for their choices. You are right about everything you have said. Some of the roads used to access the track could remain closed for longer periods if they need to be cleared so relying on back up vehicles to be where you need them is dangerous. She has a sat phone and no doubt a PLB so all we can hope is technology will save her if needed. You have done more than most to help but we can't go around holding people's hands for ever. I also read her blog and found the bit about the feral horses more like a fantasy or romance novel. If she gets through this she we probably end up a key note speaker at a 'DO' Lecture. If she has to be rescued then she will get media attention. Let's not think of the other possibility.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 12 Oct, 2015 11:37 am

Yes Xplora , People dig their own graves . You can't tell people anything can you ? :shock:
If she had walked any of the AAWT in Vic. she would be more wary of all the hazards involved . Esp. the food drops not being in place. She was wearing a cotton T shirt :!: in some of her pic.s too. :roll:
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Mon 12 Oct, 2015 11:56 am

I dont see how taking shots at this girl is going to help anyone.

Why not try and educate her a little more, instead of saying who wears jeans hiking... Explain why 'cotton kills' etc.

If she's friends with the other young lady who hiked the AAWT then hopefully she's had many long chats with her about the track and what she will encounter.

IIRC, the young girl (16 at the time) did a fantastic job, so what if she got a bit lost for a few hours looking for a track / markers that had been destroyed by massive storm damage etc and in an area know for being difficult to navigate at the best of times. She found her way through the section albeit shaken (tell me how many other 16yo girls would have the courage to even attempt the hike letalone solo) and decided to have her brother (younger!?!) join her for the remainder of the walk.

She's still inspirational imo and i could think of a lot of far more dangerous things young people could be doing instead of taking up bushwalking.

Yes, theres plenty of information missing on this new ladies FB page and blog that could ease peoples minds and the engrish isnt the best but do you really think many 18 year olds could give a rats... Id be a lot happier if she at least called the track by its correct name but again its not the end of the world.

I wish her well and ill follow her progress and im glad she's willing to give it a go and not out driving the streets at night, drinking, getting into cars with hoons, drink driving, doing drugs, wandering the streets etc etc etc.

Travis.
Travis22
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Xplora » Mon 12 Oct, 2015 1:52 pm

IIRC, the young girl (16 at the time) did a fantastic job, so what if she got a bit lost for a few hours looking for a track / markers that had been destroyed by massive storm damage etc and in an area know for being difficult to navigate at the best of times. She found her way through the section albeit shaken (tell me how many other 16yo girls would have the courage to even attempt the hike let alone solo) and decided to have her brother (younger!?!) join her for the remainder of the walk.

Nobody has had a shot at Ally Durr who completed the walk 2 years ago. She did an Outward Bound course and a navigation course plus she has walked Kokoda so she would have had some idea of doing it hard. Isabel is a different story and chatting with a girlfriend is no preparation. It is only your assumption she has done this. There are great holes in her planning or she has not revealed a great deal. A noble cause does not justify a foolish endeavor. I suppose she could also take up abseiling or sky diving on her own without any training. All good fun until you hit the ground hard. I too hope she stays safe but only time will tell and in the end it will not matter to me either way as long as it does not encourage other foolhardy people to do the same. I am also very much for free choice and as she has been warned of the dangers plus pointed in the direction of good advice. The rest is up to her and the support team. Thanks Travis for sharing your view. You are entitled to your opinion and at the same time we are entitled to disagree. Nothing personal.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Travis22 » Mon 12 Oct, 2015 2:35 pm

No worries, i dont dissagree that going off the information on FB and a blog one could come to the conclusion that she is biting off more that she can chew. But noone here knows exactly what experience this girl really has, what preperation has been done, if there will be a support crew meeting her along the way, what gear she has etc. Instead of putting her down over and over and over again why not reach out and offer some assistance.

My comment about shooting this new girl down was exactly that with regards to this current trip in question.

However your original post bringing up Ally's trip sure came across to me as dig at her specially given the tone of this thread. Her getting lost and finishing with assistance. Why bring her up then specially only bringing up two negative sounding points.

I havent said anything about what preperation this new lady has undertaken as i have no idea, just like the rest of us here. I didnt know the two young ladies knew each other but if they do then one would assume they have spoken and again for all we know that could be just one of many things she has done preparing for her trip, we just dont know so why the nastiness.

Travis.
Last edited by Travis22 on Mon 12 Oct, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis22

Postby neilmny » Mon 12 Oct, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi Travis,
I think you've might have perceived a tone that wasn't intended to be there. This is a problem with the written word. You don't get the facial expressions and vocal tones that accomapny a face to face conversation. I think views were just expressed strongly as a sign of concern for this girl's well being.

Personally, I was only expressing concern, maybe not very eloquently and far be it for me to offer advice on the AAWT, it is really for someone who has done it. I was thinking that someone in the know might read this and perhaps contact the girl.
But then again, maybe it's wrong of any of us to presume a lack of skill from the small amount of info she has provided.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Mon 12 Oct, 2015 3:10 pm

Absolutely Neil, i understand where your coming from and i hope your right.

Part of my view was formed off of the 'one line' comments on the FB page. I dont see how one can take such comments as helpful warnings, if they were mean as helpful comments then really more information would have helped soften the blow (given the genuine concern one has seeing someone hiking in jeans and slip on work boots even if the person isnt the one doing this trip) and id imagine the recipient would be more likely to take them on board instead of just dismissing the comment.

If Isabel was to read this thread do you think she'd be inclined to join in or feel put off, i guess its clear that i feel that she'd be inclined to stay away which would be a real shame.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 13 Oct, 2015 6:51 pm

Good luck to Ms. Isobel Brown. Her heart is in the right place.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby madmacca » Thu 15 Oct, 2015 3:30 pm

neilmny wrote:Her blog - http://www.isabelbrown.com.au/My-Blog.php
I must say a big buck roo at 3 metres is unnerving specially if it is being somewhat alpha.
It would pay her to know how Malcom Douglas (and Mutley) deals with this situation.

I had a big buck roo come up to 3 metres of me while having lunch by the Cotter River (next valley over). I had never seen them approach so close before. I very slowly made sure I had a good fist-sized rock within reach. These days I would reach for a hiking pole (I didn't carry them back then).
madmacca

Postby Strider » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 6:42 pm

Uh oh..

http://m.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/ ... kpcl9.html

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 08 Nov, 2015 9:17 pm

I read the report.
They/she seems to be getting lost on a daily basis without any navigation skills or bush craft experience. :shock: . Her written English is not the best either :roll: . Worst of all, she seems to rely on something other than a map or compass to help her to find a hut or a bridge to cross a freezing river in the dark.
The People she is pictured with are all wearing cotton and denim and have everything hanging and dangling off their packs. It is like looking at Newbies going to Sealers' cove at The Prom for the first time on their first overnight hike.

If you are lost and it is becoming dark ,then stay put, pitch your tent, cook something and eat it , keep warm and dry , and wait until it is light to then decide what to do next.

They seem to slink off to a hotel half the time too!!
This can't end well. :(
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 10:28 pm

http://www.isabelbrown.com.au/My-Blog.php
They are getting lost almost daily and now one of the walkers was injured and went to hospital . This is most unfortunate and doesn't bode well for even tougher hiking which is still ahead of them.

She is seemingly convinced that a cap gun will help ward off wild dogs.

This is also concerning since I was chased by a pack of wild dogs in Thailand and I now know that only a 303 rifle was going to stop them. I am fast on my feet but one of them bit my leg and I had get rabies shots at a hospital in Bangkok.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lizzy » Tue 17 Nov, 2015 8:37 pm

Just had a quick read of her blog & she seems to be doing OK to me! Good on her for getting out there. She is doing it in sections with others to support her- yeah maybe they make a few mistakes with gear etc. but it's a bit of a safety net getting met every few days.
I usually get lost trying to find the start of the track :lol: after that I am fine!
A lot of young people couldn't be bothered- good on her for making it happen. I wish her well for her journey :D
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby GBW » Tue 17 Nov, 2015 9:16 pm

Lizzy wrote:A lot of young people couldn't be bothered- good on her for making it happen. I wish her well for her journey :D

I agree.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jobell » Wed 18 Nov, 2015 9:15 pm

Ran into her Dad James today in Omeo. Isabelle is due to cross the Omeo Road (assuming up beyond Hotham) this Fri. She's going well but has hurt her knee. She is being accompanied by a family member at all times. She's now a bit over halfway, planning to finish before Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby geoskid » Wed 18 Nov, 2015 9:37 pm

Lizzy wrote:Just had a quick read of her blog & she seems to be doing OK to me! Good on her for getting out there. She is doing it in sections with others to support her- yeah maybe they make a few mistakes with gear etc. but it's a bit of a safety net getting met every few days.
I usually get lost trying to find the start of the track :lol: after that I am fine!
A lot of young people couldn't be bothered- good on her for making it happen. I wish her well for her journey :D

Yeah, I read her blog for the first time today( after seeing posts here), and I agree, she is doing OK. She seems to be a naturally 'up' person .Good on her.

I think people that have been into bushwalking for a while forget what can be accomplished without the latest gear. Perhaps?. What is an alternate explanation? Jealousy? Who Knows? :)
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Region: Tasmania

Postby Intrepid Hiker » Thu 19 Nov, 2015 4:03 pm

jobell wrote:Ran into her Dad James today in Omeo. Isabelle is due to cross the Omeo Road (assuming up beyond Hotham) this Fri. She's going well but has hurt her knee. She is being accompanied by a family member at all times. She's now a bit over halfway, planning to finish before Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
geoskid wrote:
Lizzy wrote:Just had a quick read of her blog & she seems to be doing OK to me! Good on her for getting out there. She is doing it in sections with others to support her- yeah maybe they make a few mistakes with gear etc. but it's a bit of a safety net getting met every few days.

Yeah, I read her blog for the first time today( after seeing posts here), and I agree, she is doing OK. She seems to be a naturally 'up' person .Good on her.

I think people that have been into bushwalking for a while forget what can be accomplished without the latest gear. Perhaps?. What is an alternate explanation? Jealousy? Who Knows? :)

Agree wholeheartedly, sometimes one does not need to over-think things. When I hiked the Larapinta in July I met a few people who were not exactly hikers or bushwalkers as evidenced by some of their gear and habits on the trail. However, they walked the the track to the end and archived their goals I hope. This girl, while she lacks experience she has a lot of support on the track and seems to be going okay.
Intrepid Hiker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby jobell » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 7:28 pm

We met Isabel and her uncle at Camp Creek below Mt Speculation about five days ago so she's making good progess. She is a lovely lass, seems to be strongly supported by family. She was keen to take on information from us about water sources etc. I would say the experience has taught her a fair bit. Hope she finishes well.
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Summitview » Sat 12 Dec, 2015 8:19 am

I have to say that I have found some of this discussion thread regrettable. I agree anyone entering the bush, particularly on such an ambitious venture, has a responsibility to ensure they understand the risks and to prepare accordingly. But I find distasteful discussing an actual person on a public forum in such a way. I met Isabel twice on her quest, and was delighted to find that she had made her way from Canberra to the Bogong High Plains, accompanied and supported by family. I suggest we all direct our remarks about individuals to them directly and privately, and only when we actually have taken the time to understand directly their personal circumstances. I wish her all the best in her venture.
Summitview
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Summitview » Sat 12 Dec, 2015 8:19 am

I have to say that I have found some of this discussion thread regrettable. I agree anyone entering the bush, particularly on such an ambitious venture, has a responsibility to ensure they understand the risks and to prepare accordingly. But I find distasteful discussing an actual person on a public forum in such a way. I met Isabel twice on her quest, and was delighted to find that she had made her way from Canberra to the Bogong High Plains, accompanied and supported by family. I suggest we all direct our remarks about individuals to them directly and privately, and only when we actually have taken the time to understand directly their personal circumstances. I wish her all the best in her venture.
Summitview
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Next

Return to AAWT