Found (Walhalla area) Hiking tent

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Postby walkon » Sat 17 Oct, 2015 6:50 am

Found a hiking tent in the Walhalla area this week. Its in good near new condition and is dry now. So if you had a rest and forgot to pick it up or the tent dropped off your pack resulting in a *&%$#! time out things are about to change :D shoot me a pm if your a tad embarrassed and we can sort it out from there.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Found (Walhalla area) Hiking tent

Postby oyster_07 » Sat 17 Oct, 2015 7:20 am

oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkon » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 7:34 am

:) how goods our forum. Within a few hours of posting someone had given me tips on who it might be and a bit later the tents owner had contacted me. I now own a Vango Banshee 200!

Forsale near new lightly used Tent
Cheers Walkon

walkon

Postby GBW » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 7:40 am

Good one Walkon. I remember that chap asking a few questions here a while back and checked out his page. Doesn't look like his attempt went quite as planned! Do you know if he's going to give it another crack?
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walkon » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 11:04 am

Hi mate
No I don't know that he will but I would say if you pulled the pin so early that he wont. Bit of a shame really though I did talk to someone who passed him and he probably had the kitchen sink with him as well I'm told. Never like to see anyone not get to their destination but I think that it was for the best this time. Him pulling out most likely prevented a BSAR call out. Still you never want to stop people from living their dreams.
Cheers Walkon

walkon

Postby dinna89 » Wed 21 Oct, 2015 12:06 pm

Yep, for the best I reckon, he seemed to severely underestimate the task and overestimate his ability.
Pretty poor form in my opinion, on his facebook page he states he pulled the plug because he shredded his pants and had too much gear. Seems like a good time to re-evaluate and re-kit rather than pack up and go home. There's plenty of other challenging (or not so challenging) walks to do.
I'd be interested in his rational for ditching his tent, seems like a petulant move but maybe there was a reason. Considering it was for charity it would be nice if he sold it and donated the proceeds, but i'm not so sure how much it was really 'for charity'.
I'd also be interested in what happened to his food drops. I'd bet he left them in place.

Needless to say, I have zero sympathy for him. I think he acted recklessly, and with disregard to the charity he was allegedly supporting. And to not even make it to BawBaw is a mockery. (I say allegedly in regards to charity as every man and his dog seems to be 'raising awareness' when undertaking long distance journeys. To extend the canine metaphor, I'd say it's a case of the tail wagging the dog, the desire to undertake the journey generally precedes the charity aspect, these people are generally undertaking the journey for their own personal goals, and tack a charity on, yet often market it as 'look at what I'm doing for X charity. But i digress)

Sorry for the rant, especially in the buy/sell section, but this really irks me.
Last edited by dinna89 on Wed 21 Oct, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dinna89
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby oyster_07 » Wed 21 Oct, 2015 6:22 pm

I contacted him when I saw the initial posting in this thread after I saw he had retired early. I thought the coincidence too much to be chance. I offered the benefit of the doubt and asked if he lost the tent or whether he jettisoned it. His response was that it must have fallen from his pack without him realising it. Considering he had a huge load on his back and a large daypack on his front, it is possible that his 2.5kg tent could have fallen without his awareness. Possible, but not (in my opinion) likely.

I agree that he was underprepared on a gross scale and lacked any experience from which to generate basic mental preparedness. Nonetheless, he was a nice chap when I contacted him, so I cannot fault his cheerfulness.

I am reminded of Reinhold Messner's take on danger when he made the first solo summit of Everest (from the north and without the famed 'English air'). Herr Messner did not take a communication device as he did not want anyone else to risk their own life in coming to rescue him. I know the AAWT and Everest are quite literally a world apart, but the principal remains that rescuers accept the danger ignored by so many.

This walker was utterly unprepared, totally lacking adequate knowledge and experience, and was (in my humble opinion) destined to fail. He gave up and he gave up early. Nonetheless, he deserves some respect for the decision to do so without calling upon public and volunteer resources to get him out.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Sandbars » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 6:56 pm

We actually picked up most of the drops this week - we were heading out to do our own drops, and asked if his needed to be picked up while we were out there. The food was donated to a local Vinnies. Incidentally we also stumbled on someones elses empties at Kiandra while looking - so more than just his got cleaned up in the process. :)
Sandbars
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Postby oyster_07 » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 8:23 pm

What was his ration plan like? What did each drop contain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Sandbars » Sat 24 Oct, 2015 10:37 am

I think that Gareth's ration plan was a bit like his walk plan: based on too little practical experience. However, it was not terrible, if a little light on interest and a bit heavy! I thought he had potential to be eating par boiled pasta by the end of the week.

Mostly, I want to commend him for pulling the plug. Too often stories of this that go horribly wrong (expensive rescues, death, injury, putting rescuers at risk etc) contain sections like this "even though he was struggling in the early days, and jettisoned a lot of his gear, he pushed on, too late realising...." Its hard and embarrassing to pull out of something that you have spent a long time planning, and a not insubstantial chunk of change on. I suspect he will be answering questions about his (overly?) grand plan for quite some time.

I am a little sad for him that he set his sights on such a challenging walk for starters - I would have thought that a NZ great walk, or the Overland or some such would have been more appropriate, but maybe the allure of the AAWT was that you don't have to pay for campsites or a permit or anything? I hope that he continues to gain fitness, does some overnight walks, and enjoys being outside.
Sandbars
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Postby GregR » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 7:38 pm

I too have followed Gareth's posts here and on Facebook. I can't say I ever gave him a snowballs chance in hell.

His attitude to training ,preparation etc was cavalier at best, he would never respond to questions about these matters. Seemed to think an occasional stroll around the local park was going to cut the mustard.

I bet my wife he would last between 1and 2 days and I lost, he lasted less than one. By his own reckoning he got about 10 Ks, so Id be keen to know where the tent was found. The fact that he was back in Melbourne and then flying out of Sydney so quickly after starting indicates he won't be back to me. No hire car again to pick up the food drops?

I'd also like to know if actually planned on getting someone to pick up his food drops or did sandbars contact him and act as a Good Samaritan?

Btw, I want to know what brand of pants only last one day before being ripped to pieces.... Make damn sure I don't buy a pair!!

Cheers
Greg

Ps: I think this should be moved to the AAWT section as a salutary lesson to any future overly ambitious people with minimal experience.
GregR

Postby oyster_07 » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 8:58 pm

Agreed on all counts.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GBW » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 10:44 pm

Gareth has given a pretty honest assessment of his attempt on his page and knows where he went wrong...the main thing in the end is no harm was done except to his pride. He obviously didn't get enough hours experience in varying conditions making sure he was sorted with his skills, fitness and gear before setting off but at least he had the sense to pull out when he realised he wasn't up to it so I'll give him some credit for that. Pity he didn't get up onto the plateau, set up camp and spend a few days wandering around before turning back...I'm sure he would have enjoyed it.

http://www.garethaskewfilmmaker.com/201 ... m-failure/
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 8:53 am

It still seems a bit radical, abandoning the endeavour entirely.
You'd think he'd just back off, regroup and try again in a few years when he had more experience.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby GregR » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 9:20 am

Thanks GBW for that link. I hadn't seen that page. Good to see that he is being so honest and candid.

Cheers

Greg
GregR

Postby wildlight » Sun 15 Nov, 2015 4:55 pm

I drove Gareth out to Walhalla, for the start of his walk.

His heart's in the right place, but his pack seriously made my car tilt when he put it on the back seat (wouldn't fit in the boot)!

I put it diagonally opposite me within the vehicle to balance out the suspension load and allow for the camber of the road...

I missed this thread completely, only just saw it now, after someone mentioned the tent, elsewhere.

I hope he does come back- he was as keen as beans to see the Alps, I offered to shuttle him around on mini-hikes once he threw it in- knowing we aren't around the corner from where he lives, and the expense of getting here would not be small.

There were a considerable number of totally unnecessary items in his pack, and one absolutely crucial (my opinion anyway…) item was missing. I could only put this oversight down to lack of experience. It's difficult to see it through another's eyes- I offered him a place to stay and regroup, free gear storage, free use of lighter gear to make his time here a success- free transport to anywhere (except the UK…) just so that he could get some value from his trip.

Unless he has arranged otherwise, his food drops were still in situ here in the mountains, after he got home.

Let's hope he gets the chance to finish what he set out to do, I lectured the poor guy on benefits of lightweight gear… he's got a wonderful sense of humour, and a great interest in our mountain country, noting that he is from a predominantly flat region.

cheers

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby oyster_07 » Sun 15 Nov, 2015 7:14 pm

What was the critical item that was missing?
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildlight » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 8:36 am

oyster_07 wrote:What was the critical item that was missing?

Something to sleep ON.

He had no mat or sleeping pad. But he had 5 spare cotton t-shirts… Now I realise that in most cases, one could probably get by without a mat- but I figured- all he would have needed was some snow, (or very cold clear conditions) maybe an extended soaking from the rain- exhaustion, and perhaps not enough food or water that day- and things could have got ugly quite quickly. So on an extended walk like the AAWT, traversing high altitude, insulation beneath the sleeper is critical.

His main pack was upwards of 30-32 kg. He also had a day pack which was considerably heavier than my "office" backpack, which sits at 9kg on the scales. His would have been about 10-12kg.

Yes he could have rearranged all the stuff every night and probably built a double-bunk with it all, there was that much of it… You need to wake up refreshed when you've set yourself big distances, not simply "having survived the night". It's still a question of insulation value.

I really hope he gets the chance to do this walk, it was so obvious a lot went into him getting to be able to take those first steps, up the stairs behind the rotunda @ Walhalla. I said to him that if he bailed, it would probably bother him for a long time, so whatever was needed for him to succeed, was available. Whatever it was that swayed him to go home was "it"- and it's a shame. I suggested a few one way walks in some of the more accessible areas of the AAWT where I could drop him off then pick him up, give him a few days back in Melbourne- and get him out there again- one can only do so much.

cheers
WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 8:48 am

wildlight wrote:I lectured the poor guy on benefits of lightweight gear

Was this before or after his attempt? Was there any chance you could have helped him pack before he set off?
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby walkon » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 9:00 am

MickyB wrote:
wildlight wrote:I lectured the poor guy on benefits of lightweight gear

Was this before or after his attempt? Was there any chance you could have helped him pack before he set off?

I'd say he was given advice before the walk going from what wildlight has said so far. Some of us gave information well before his walk on what he needed to do and pack. You can lead a horse to water but...
Cheers Walkon

walkon

Postby GBW » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 9:05 am

Well you're a good man Wildlight and did what you could to help. I'd guess he was carrying a fair amount of photography gear with him too. On seeing his pack I probably would have had him empty it and go through the contents discarding the useless items and try to lighten his load...30kg+ is crazy.
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildlight » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 11:40 am

GBW wrote:On seeing his pack I probably would have had him empty it and go through the contents discarding the useless items and try to lighten his load...30kg+ is crazy.

Yeah- funny thing I never saw a tripod or monopod- but you know GBW in thinking about it after my last post, I'm pretty sure he said he had two extra pairs of those heavy cotton drill pants as well. Then there were those 5 t-shirts. No doubt there would've been more of the same in there, coz his pack was huge- and the tent was strapped to the outside of it- so the inside was filled with "other" stuff. I chatted with him on the drive, about not feeling bad if he needs to jettison some of his gear, and have a zero day or two.

I'm just prepping for a trip to Tassie (end of next week) and devastated that my pack will likely hit double digits (as in about 10.5kg). That's including a tripod.

cheers GBW, hope to see you somewhere someday.

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildlight » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 11:49 am

MickyB wrote:Was there any chance you could have helped him pack before he set off?

Mate I pleaded with him to drop all his gear except sleeping bag at my place- and take whatever he wanted of mine to use. He was fairly set on his method though, I can sorta see- being in another country, made the plan etc… probably the last thing some people would want is to have that derailed by some guy who looks like he lives under a bridge in a cardboard box. I tried to go through "his kit" on the drive- my first question was about sleeping mats- and that's when it hit.

He didn't have one.

To my recollection, his photo gear was quite light. He did point out to me that he was a hiker as well as a tourist who would eventually need to travel home- so his clothing and items for the post-hike stay and flights were with him too.

That's when I really REALLY suggested either storage of, or swapping the kit for the hike.

Like walk-on says: "You can lead a horse to water…"

There is no doubt in my mind, that had his hike gone to plan, the resulting documentary would have been stunning. It only takes a moment for someone who is in creative arts to spot talent. This guy would have produced some great work. Hopefully he'll come back.

Cheers
WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 4:18 pm

Thanks for clearing that up wildlight. Sorry if I sounded critical of you. That wasn't at all my intention. Just seemed weird to me he wasn't taking any advice from someone as experienced as yourself.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby wildlight » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 10:50 pm

MickyB wrote:Thanks for clearing that up wildlight. Sorry if I sounded critical of you. That wasn't at all my intention. Just seemed weird to me he wasn't taking any advice from someone as experienced as yourself.

All good MickyB, the notion of criticism hadn't even entered my mind. I so wanted to help this bloke- paying back some of what I seem to have an abundance of out on the road when hitching or hiking or whatever- and that is random acts of kindness from fellow human beings. I know all too well the agony of getting somewhere far away, then a stick goes in the spokes and throws "the plan" into a wobbly. What was at the forefront of my mind the whole time, from the minute I collected Gareth, was the trust he'd put in a total (homeless looking like he'd stolen the car he was driving)- stranger (me!) and that look of wonder and anticipation in his eyes. Like the first person through the door at the Myer Boxing Day Sale (if they still have them).

He'll probably come back in 5 years with a 9 kilo kit and run the thing, pausing only to capture "stills" as his hi-tech solar-powered drone films his every step…

Cheers

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 17 Nov, 2015 11:53 am

What a tale! I read that his trousers got shredded on the first day and said to have only one pair. Elsewhere it was suggested he had spares. Poor guy, 110% for having a go but a disaster in the execution. C'est la vie.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Tue 17 Nov, 2015 1:32 pm

We actually picked up most of the drops this week - we were heading out to do our own drops, and asked if his needed to be picked up while we were out there. The food was donated to a local Vinnies. Incidentally we also stumbled on someones elses empties at Kiandra while looking - so more than just his got cleaned up in the process. :)

Very noble and clever plan, Sandbars. His failure is no justification for abandoning trash in the bush - after throwing in the towel, he should have made arrangements to, or picked up his own drops.

Leaving them in the bush is not acceptable.

Well done on taking the initiative and cleaning up the mess! *insert high five emoticon here*
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby peregrinator » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 1:34 pm

GregR wrote: . . . Ps: I think this should be moved to the AAWT section as a salutary lesson to any future overly ambitious people with minimal experience.

I agreed with that comment at the time and the thought has recurred a few times since. Particularly when I've been on a tricky bit of the "Track".

Reading Lophpphaps nicely written reply today to an enquiry about joining an AAWT walk http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22244#p289688 reminded me of the issue again. I'm not saying that the enquiry came from an "overly ambitious" person. I have no idea whether that's the case. All I am suggesting is that this "salutary lesson" GregR refers to is most unlikely to be read by a new forum member enquiring about the AAWT. But it would be good if it could be easily found.

So I'm wondering what administrators (and perhaps Lophophaps) think about this? Maybe Lophpphaps' reply is sufficient elaboration in itself?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwalks » Sat 23 Jan, 2016 9:29 am

Thanks for the suggestion, I have moved this thread to AAWT forum now. Makes sense.
Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Postby askew116 » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 7:10 am

Hi everyone,

I've just seen the latest comments in this thread, and wanted to respond, hopefully answering some of the questions and criticisms on here, so here goes...

Firstly, on that first day, I got to the section between Poverty Point Bridge and Fingerboard Spur, that was when I realised the ridiculousness of my pack weight(s), and that at the level of fitness I had, such as it was, I wouldn't be able to complete the trail. I also realised I wouldn't make it to O'Sheas before sunset, having set off from Walhalla several hours later than I'd have liked. I found a clearing that was just big enough to pitch my tent, and camped there, weighing up my options...

I quickly realised that pushing on wasn't an option, mainly because going further along takes one further away from civilisation, and I couldn't see myself getting further than maybe Stronachs Camp at the most before burning out entirely. This left walking back into Walhalla as the only alternative.

Regarding my tent, I can assure you this was not jettisoned. From what I can gather about where it was found and when I definitely saw it last, I was taking a break on my way back to Walhalla, and leaned against a rock (the tent was strapped on the outside of my pack), and I'm guessing this is where it slipped out without me noticing.

Regarding my pack weight, it was truly insane. Excess items included 5 tops, fleece and fleeced raincoat, thick hooded sweater, and hardback & paperback books, on top of food choices that were bulkier than necessary, I agree this was wholly inappropriate, yet it didn't trigger a red flag at the time. Looking back now with 20/20 hindsight, I don't know whether to laugh or cry at my naivety. :?

Regarding the food drops, posts on this thread criticising the fact I didn't stay in the country long enough to collect and dispose of them are very fair, I hold my hands up to this, it was irresponsible and I apologise for this. The only thing I would say about this though, is that it wasn't for not caring, but emotionally I was all over the place at the time, not thinking clearly etc, and it just hadn't occurred to me how much of an issue this would be until I was on my way back to the UK, and was a major facepalm moment when it was pointed out. :oops: I'd like to thank Sandbars for contacting me and collecting the food drops, and also for donating the food, I really appreciate it! :P

Regarding my training, I do think that saying it consisted of 'an occasional stroll in the park' is overly harsh. It certainly wasn't ideal, although maybe I made it sound like less than it was. In all honesty I don't recall any conversations or threads about this.

Dinna89, I don't quite understand your comment about this disregarding the charity? Yes, I had my own reasons for attempting the AAWT, which I was always upfront about, but your post seemed to imply I was disrespecting the charity and/or making it a sponsored walk out of some ulterior motive. :?: I simply wanted to do some good for a cause that I'm passionate about (HIV awareness, treatment and prevention). Do correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

I also owe a huge thank you to Wildlight. It was a pleasure to meet you, and the advice you gave me on the journey to Walhalla was spot on. I really appreciated your offer to help me arrange some shorter walks, and again (with 20/20 hindsight), should have taken you up on that.

Some of you have wondered if I'll attempt the AAWT in future. The answer to that is yes, I'm planning on November 2017, although that's not yet confirmed. I want to assure everyone though that I'm taking on board my lessons learnt from last years' attempt. For starters, I've teamed up with an experienced hiker who'll be walking with me. (That's another oversight from last year, attempting the AAWT solo). We'll most likely hike SOBO, and I can't tell you how ruthless I'll be about my pack weight. I've been on several multi-day walks in the last few months, and while the lack of mountains in London is a problem, I'm planning on trips to climb Snowdon and Ben Nevis over the coming year and a bit. Hiking and camping is fast becoming a serious hobby of mine, I find it a wonderful relief from the stresses of urban life. :D I also won't be nearly so active on social media in the months leading up to it though, I was putting too much pressure on myself.

My goal with this post has been to explain all this from my perspective, and how I've learned from such a spectacular failure. Writing the post that I'd abandoned the AAWT was one of the most embarrassing things to have to do, especially so early on. :oops: By the way, GregR, if and when next years' attempt at this goes ahead, I owe you a beer for losing that bet! :D
askew116
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Next

Return to AAWT