tracks between Mt Singleton and Black River

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

tracks between Mt Singleton and Black River

Postby Shirlbaz » Sat 07 Nov, 2015 8:36 pm

I have noted several comments about the condition of the tracks between Mt Singleton and Black River. There appears to be a choice of following the designated AAWT track or Champion Spur Track. My group will be walking in this area in a few weeks time. Can anyone suggest the better/easier route in terms of track clearance and distance?

Thanks
Shirley
Shirlbaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: tracks between Mt Singleton and Black River

Postby GBW » Sat 07 Nov, 2015 10:47 pm

I wouldn't be too concerned with Black river, it wasn't the hardest bit of track we encountered, a few trees down and some scrambling up and down the banks but still OK and if I was doing it again I'd go the same way. There's not a lot to see down there so taking the other route probably makes little difference. Someone had been through and cleared some areas along the northern side of the river. Once you reach the river cross over and head NW towards a small bluff as Chapman decribes...it's a little hard to find but you should pick up the track from there. You do veer away from the river at first but eventually come back. Just keep the river to your left until you reach the N15 track and you should be fine. It took us about 1 1/2 hours to make our way from the river crossing along the river to the N15. Turn left, walk 50m through the river then up the hill to the camp.

Black River.jpg
Black River GPS
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Shirlbaz » Sun 08 Nov, 2015 10:06 am

Hi GBW,

I can't thank you enough for your detailed reply, especially for the map. Extremely helpful!

We will be leaving for the Wallhalla to Mt St Bernard section of the AAWT on Monday 23 of this month. I have planned fairly extensively but always appreciate any updates on the track and the food-drop access roads.
Cheers,
Shirley
Shirlbaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GBW » Sun 08 Nov, 2015 10:17 am

No worries. The top camp is pretty small but there is an area at the N15 on the river which is probably better if there's a few of you.

Good luck and have a safe trip!
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Return to AAWT