Food drops for AAWT

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Food drops for AAWT

Postby jobell » Mon 09 Nov, 2015 7:38 pm

Hello,

We're heading off to do our food drops for the AAWT next Tuesday 17 November. We'll be dropping at Kiandra, off the Benambra-Corryong Road, Rumpff Saddle and Stronach's Camp as our "bush drops".

If anyone has an old drop that they have yet to retrieve at any of these locations that they would like us to look for I would be happy to have a look for it and bring it out. I can have the person providing our lift to Walhalla drop off these items at any of the towns near that trail that we pass through or I can have the items taken back to an address in Canberra for you to retrieve from. If it's just rubbish and you are happy for us to dispose of it we can do that too.

We will need some pretty precise instructions as to where to look and your contact details to let you know if we were successful in retrieving your items. We will be on a bit of a schedule so we won't have a huge amount of free time, but will do our best to help out.

PM me and I"ll send you my email if that's easier.

Cheers,

Joanne
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Food drops for AAWT

Postby jobell » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 8:29 pm

So I've had a few PM's but no drops to collect as such! I won't monitor this thread while I'm walking, but I'll check back in once I finish (after 1 Jan) to see if anyone has anything out there to collect. Perhaps then there might be someone I can split some of the collections with. I can't promise that I'll be washing anyone's dirty socks though... if you want them back they are coming to you as is!
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby scoha » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 8:52 pm

Joanne, can do 1 better, I can collect your Rimpff Saddle drop when I return to pick mine up in Jan/Feb
scoha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby jobell » Sat 14 Nov, 2015 8:39 pm

Done deal Scoha! We'll talk more once we both finish walking.
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby White_Mamba » Fri 27 May, 2016 6:04 pm

Hey Jobell,
Was just looking to get some insight into your food jobs, things like:
- How many other drops other than the ones mentioned above?
- Where were the drops
- How much food you were carrying/days between pick-ups
- and anyother insight you may have

Thanks
White_Mamba
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby scoha » Sat 28 May, 2016 2:46 pm

White_Mamba,

Not to hijack JoBells answer I can give you my food drop logistics if it helps:

I walked SoBo in November 2015. My food drops were at:
Kiandra, Thredbo, Stony Creek (north of Benambra), Falls Creek, Mt St Bernard (where the trail leaves the Hotham Rd), Speculation and Rumpff Saddle.

I did it in 35days so each had 5-6 days (kgs) food plus food-cache party treats
I used 20L drums with clip seal tops
I dehydrated all my own food and vacuum packed these for extra life - I loved my meals - never a bad one.
Dehydrated rice too which works a treat and saves fuel.

I drove my drops in and drove them out - but coordinated with JoBell and others I met along the way to share the load. JoBell went above the call and actually shuttles me between ACT airport and Tharwa - perpetually in her debt!

Enjoy the preparation - the anticipation and planning is great fun - albeit slightly obsessive!!
scoha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bill P » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi Scoha,

Just wondering about the food drop placement driving route(s) you used for yours? I've looked at options and am puzzled as to the best way. :?:

I suppose a more scenic, investigative route for the initial placement, and then a quicker more efficient route for the recovery? Either way it's a lot of kms and time required.

(In my case I am thinking of foregoing a Speculation drop)

Regards,

Bill P
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mutley » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 8:17 pm

Just to add to the thread hikack, completed N to S Nov 2014, in 36 days. The food drop drop off and pick up drives were arduous. Being a stubborn and overconfident bloke, I drove both trips solo and in one go. The food drop placement drive took 3 days and I covered 1800 kms.. Listened to some great music though and actually had a really good trip.

My drops were:

1. Kiandra, south of the highway and halfway up the hill, under a tree
2. Thredbo - Reception held my food drop at the Alipne Hotel, as I was staying there.
3. Benambra Corryong Road in the bush.
4. The old hut south of Hotham village, just beside the road and hiddien in the scrub,
5. Rumpf Saddle - On the ridgeline above Rumpff- Dont do it. The climb up Barclay Jeep Track was murderous.

In hindsight another drop between 4 and 5 would have been good.

Am thinking about another trip, but this time S to N, and taking maybe 44 days to take advantage of the many side trips I flew past the first time. Just have to explain it to my employer :-))
Mutley
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby scoha » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 9:09 pm

Bill P,

As Mutley points out - its just a long drive. I did it in two days placement overnighting at Speculation (because why wouldn't you!!) and from Melbourne covered about 1000km. Similar to collection, but I coordinated with other AAWTers and shared some of the pick ups - this forum is excellent venue for coordinating!

The more drops, the lower the pack weight so its good to get them in frequently. The Speculation is a rough drive and closed from Queens Birthday to end of October (I think). There are other alternates with road access in the Barrys before Speculation.

Theres a great road between Fiddlers Green and Rumpff Saddle which makes it a bit easier - but hard to see this on the maps. You can then pop out at Jamieson and around to Speculation / or Hotham and over to Benambra to Stony Creek depending on your drops.

As Mutley says, enjoy the drive - take lots of music and refreshments!!

cheers

scoha
scoha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Tue 28 Jun, 2016 6:08 am

Bill - The drive out to Camp creek (below Mt Spec) is slow but they have upgraded the road in the last few years. Still very slow going though. That was after dozens of trees fell over it one winter. It may or may not open up on time but usually it opens on Melbourne Cup weekend. The local VicParks office is sometimes a bit slow getting back to you but Mansfield is the head office and they should have information about the tracks. More likely to speak to someone there too. If you plan to do some of the rougher roads for drops then a reasonable 4wd vehicle would be needed and I would take a Chainsaw and drag chain. Road conditions vary after winter depending on how many idiots have broken gates and cut up the roads. Repairs often take time to organise. Depending on your vehicle, the road from Cobbler to Abbeyards is a great drive (very solid road) with great views. VERY steep in places but we have done it in winter without issue and then you are close to Hotham. You can avoid the steep drive by heading through Rose River. I think time wise it is longer though. It could also be worth a drive up the Omeo Highway for a drop and again depending on the vehicle you have, you could head down the Knocker track (easy but watch out for log trucks) turn left at the bottom and if the Mitta is low enough you could cross at Taylors crossing or just head back toward Omeo and Benambra at the bottom of the Knocker (that is quicker than the Omeo Hwy anyway). Taylors crossing from the Benambra side is easy and it is only a day from the Omeo Highway to there anyway so you could avoid that drop. Too many bogans getting to Taylors crossing now so hiding the drop well enough could be difficult.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to AAWT