AAWT between Walhalla, Howitt and Hotham

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

AAWT between Walhalla, Howitt and Hotham

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 12:11 pm

These three stickies are for AAWT facts, no discussion, please.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: AAWT between Walhalla, Howitt and Hotham

Postby scoha » Tue 22 Dec, 2015 3:48 pm

Just finished AAWT SoBo - I found nice water in two soaks just north of Low Saddle on the road at 513689 and at 510680. Makes camping at Low Saddle a great option.
scoha
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby scoha » Tue 22 Dec, 2015 6:05 pm

Correction to previous - should read GR 513679 - apologies - other one correct
scoha
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Bushwalker99 » Sat 26 Dec, 2015 7:23 pm

Well done for your great solo walk. I did it a year ago with some friends and found no water where you did this year. No drama though - we walked about 15 mins along the fire trail to the west and found a nice stream. I guess the lesson is that water is not necessarily reliable from year to year.
Bushwalker99
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby gbedford » Thu 14 Jan, 2016 4:36 pm

There is was a good flowing creek about 1 km North along the Low Saddle Road about to weeks ago.

We had to go a fair way South down the Knobs track to get water.

The Mt Selwyn South water tank is of very good construction with an enclosed gutter. Clear water and we drank it having grown up on farm tank water. It also beside a lovely campsite.
the East Riley Road tank is well made but doesn't have an enclosed gutter. the water is not bad but a bit brown. Only place to camp is on the Selwyn track.

The Barry Saddle tank is in a bad state with dark water that had an aroma. We treated it. Its a pity because there is a nice campsite nearby.

Gordon
gbedford
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby jeza » Fri 15 Jan, 2016 3:15 pm

I can confirm there's a spring just off the slopes of Mt Clear. 1km west of the AAWT along Mt Clear Track there's a fairly nice campsite in a saddle then 500m south along an overgrown vehicle track until you reach a major gully, where the creek cuts through the old track. We had to descend another 50m or so to find a spot with a decent enough flow to refill our bottles. It was just a trickle but clear and odourless. There was a little bit of rain the week before so I'm not sure if it dries out completely during drier times.
jeza
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Eljimberino » Tue 19 Jan, 2016 4:42 pm

I carried a lot of water from my food drop at Rumpf Saddle to half way to Mt McKinty where I dumped it because I then decided to collect water from the creek east of Mt Sunday. Getting to that creek was a mission which probably took close to an hour once I had a wash in the stream. There's no track.

Once I got to Low Saddle there were quite a few puddles around that I could have filtered. Since I had enough water I didn't venture north of Low Saddle.

This was early Jan 2015.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to AAWT