AAWT between Hotham, Omeo Hwy, and Thredbo

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

AAWT between Hotham, Omeo Hwy, and Thredbo

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 12:12 pm

These three stickies are for AAWT facts, no discussion, please.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: AAWT between Hotham, Omeo Hwy, and Thredbo

Postby Solohike74 » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 12:55 pm

When you leave the crossing at Big River there is generally no water until you approach the track intersection not far from Cleve Cole Hut. There are stones in the riverbed at the Big River Crossing.
Solohike74
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA; Friends of: Bogong, The Prom, Cobberas, Baw Baw
Region: Australia

Re: Maps around the NSW-Vic border

Postby Mark F » Sat 12 Dec, 2015 2:38 pm

There are two excellent side trips in the border area, The Pilot - Little Pilot in NSW and the Cobberas in Victoria. I am looking at the feasibility of doing the Little Pilot - Pilot - Forest Hill Cairn - Source of the Murray - Cowombat Flat on a AAWT trip next year.

I have just been looking at the mapping for this area and offer the following comments. Background - I like 1:50k maps for tracked areas but happier with 1:25K for untracked sections. I prefer to buy GeoPDF maps which are now available for most states and print sections that I need. I also have the GeoPDF maps on my phone which I tend to use when walking using the free Avenza PDF Map app with paper maps for backup.

The area of interest, from the Little Pilot - Pilot saddle south to the border, is covered on the NSW Suggan Buggan 1:50k map but it does not usefully extend into Victoria apart from contours so not useful once across the Murray but is available in GeoPDF form. A far better map is the Victorian 1:25K 8524-3-N Cobberas North sheet which covers from the saddle between Little Pilot and the Pilot, the Cobberas and the AAWT right through to Buckwong Creek - I gather GeoPDF only?. This area is also covered in full on the Victorian 1:50K sheet 8524-S Willis (print only) but this sheet covers no additional parts of the AAWT compared to the 1:25k sheet and is only available as a printed map. Both these maps still show the original alignment of the AAWT which has been extensively changed in this area.

The missing section from the firetrail up to Little Pilot is less than 1km and is on the NSW 1:25K Davies Plains sheet (GeoPDF and paper) but to reach Dead Horse Gap requires 3 more 1:25K sheets. Somewhat better is the Victorian 1:50K 8524-n Tom Groggin sheet (print only) which covers the whole route from Dead Horse Gap south to Little Pilot.

Given the problems with obtaining 1:50K maps for NSW I am thinking about using the nswtopo script to produce a series of 1:50K GeoPDF maps that cover the the AAWT from Tharwa to the border - 11 sheets that can be printed on A3 paper making them accessible in either print or electronic form. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby jobell » Wed 06 Apr, 2016 10:02 pm

The creek one km south down the Corryong Benambra Rd from where the AAWT crosses the road is currently dry. If heading north make sure you fill up at Morass Creek before coming up to the road.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Thu 07 Apr, 2016 1:03 pm

jobell wrote:The creek one km south down the Corryong Benambra Rd from where the AAWT crosses the road is currently dry. If heading north make sure you fill up at Morass Creek before coming up to the road.

And make sure you treat that water. Morass drains a lot of farmland and it's one very few places where you really do have to.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Xplora » Fri 04 Nov, 2016 5:01 am

The Long Spur from Big River fire trail has many trees down on the vehicle part. We attempted a drive up it yesterday and after clearing several trees and half way through another big tree I looked up the track to see more. This lot would make walking through it impossible and would have taken an hour or more to clear. We had not even made 2km. I was talking with some blokes from DELWP a while back who said they are going to do some work on it with machinery this year so I figure they can do the heavy lifting. We were going to walk in to Cleve Cole for the day and did not want to waste it clearing the track. We drove around to Mulhauser and walked in from there. The track from the junction of Mulhauser is very much overgrown for a couple of km's and I suspect it would be the same back toward Wills. Long sleeves would be the go as the scrub is up to your neck in places. We wore shorts and gaiters but long pants would stop the knees from the odd scrape. Only one bit of blackberry but some of the best native pepper I have seen. A few new trees down over the track but most are easy to get through or around. In general there is a lot of timber down but it should not slow you down in the general scheme of things. Just take note of the track direction before the log jamb and pick it up after. Not many track markers until you get closer to the pole line. Still some snow on Bogong and we came across it just over 1700m but it was thin and not a problem. I could see most of the ridge lines up top were clear but walking is wet from 1700m. I suspect the crossing at the bottom of T spur will be passable soon given the river height at Joker is only 200mm above the usual summer flow. No word on the chain being repaired but I would doubt it has this early.
Xplora
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dashandsaph » Sun 08 Jan, 2017 6:51 pm

Although there is no water at Sunnyside (where the AAWT meets the Omeo Highway) there is what appears to be all year water 1.5km west along the highway to the first switchback bend - easy road bash, or about 600m down the gully at Sunnyside - less reliable.
dashandsaph
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 8:08 am

AAWT (more or less) Thredbo-Bogong

Between Cascade and Tin Mine Huts the Cascade Trail is an easy way for feral horses to get from A to B. One party camped on the trail and was nearly wiped by feral horses at night. It's best to camp elsewhere.

The route to Little Pilot and The Pilot from about 088353 is mainly in light scrub, becoming more open with altitude. The descent south from The Pilot is easy at first, if steep in a few places. As one gets lower progress becomes quite slow due to the scrub. Allow time to reach the Black and Allen cairn and the source of the Murray.

Like other parts of the AAWT, the track descending to Stony Creek is a little vague in places. The first creek should be running most of the time. Stony Creek is sometimes underground, and the track is sometimes well away from the creek with too many short ascents and descents. In a few places there are several tracks at the creek, and care is needed.

The track above Dead Horse Creek is well defined, but fallen timber and feral horse tracks confuse things somewhat. Once Dead Horse Creek is crossed the track is easy to follow ... mainly. It went up the gully north-west of the Chapman alignment, then west and up quite steeply.

From Misery Trail the track went north-west to Buckwong Creek. This is reasonably well defined, but at the bottom there are clearings with animal tracks all over the place. Just keep going down the clearings. The campsite on the creek 800 metres west of Buckwong Hut is soggy; find a high spot.

I could not see any AAWT markers on the Mt Hope Road loop, and walked down the road. The foot track to Buenba Hut site is reasonably well defined. North bound it may be hard to hit the end of the short road leading to the plain, and I'd take the road to the east.

The section to Corner Creek has light scrub and easy navigation, with a track coming and going. I lost the track just short of Corner Creek, and eventually found three markers close to each other - and no track. From here I went in medium scrub fro a few minutes to the foot of the spur, and up steeply for 10 minutes till I found the track. The steepness continued for a while.

The first part of the track from Turnback Creek Track is easy to follow. From about 655283 there were places where it was hard to follow, notably over talus. Below this it was well defined.

The Morass Creek crossing is a PITA - slimy rocks, crook water and quite wide. The west side has too many prickles.

The descent from Wombat Divide Track is slightly overgrown in places. Gill Creek is unsuited for camping - too small, no toilet areas. The ascent to the Omeo Highway starts off as a good foot track and then becomes a good closed 4WD track.

I stopped at Glen Wills Retreat, http://www.glenwills.com/, 40 minutes towards Omeo, recommended. Gordy had my food drop, which made the pack lighter at Thredbo.

The climb to Mt Wills South is mostly easy to follow. Old logging roads confuse things in places. From Mt Wills South the track is well defined.

The descent to Big Saddle is a tad overgrown in places. The old 4WD track at the start of Long Spur has too many logs over it. When the 4WD track ends the foot track is overgrown in many places with waist- and chest-high scrub. This needs cutting back and Parks Victoria are aware of the matter. It was nice to top out at Bossiaea Hill - no more scrub. This was the day after the Melbourne deluge, and local rain gauges recorded 100 mm of rain, most of which fell on me. Johnnies Top and Long Spur were the hardest days.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby north-north-west » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 2:14 pm

Lophophaps wrote:I could not see any AAWT markers on the Mt Hope Road loop, and walked down the road.

When I was last there, there was a tree with arrows painted on it. Quite obvious if you knew the track turned off in the vicinity.
The foot track to Buenba Hut site is reasonably well defined. North bound it may be hard to hit the end of the short road leading to the plain, and I'd take the road to the east..

There were triangular markers on the plain and, once reaching the Buenba Rd, you cross and follow the most obvious foot/brumby traffic. Maybe it's a bit more overgrown now, but I never had difficulty picking it up.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 6:24 pm

Further to the turnoff from the Mt Hope Rd for southbound walkers, it's right at the start of the hairpin at the northernmost point of the road.
Attachments
HopeCct.jpg
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gbedford » Fri 20 Jan, 2017 8:35 am

Ha ha Steve,
We knew you were climbing up the Long Spur through all that scrub in the pouring rain. The thought of your struggle kept us amused as we had descended it the day before. It was like being in a car wash.

A couple of comments. The Gill Creek camp site is not that bad but small. Heading North from Buenba hut site we didn't find any markers in the long grass. Finding the track on the other side of Buenba road was a bit tricky. There were no markers until some distance into the bush and a vague track at the start. Maybe a tree has fallen down bu I didn't notice.

A couple of the tracks are poorly designed; just straight up and down with no zig zag contouring. The initial steep section out of Buenba creek up to Johnnies Top and the section above Dead Horse Creek towards Macs Spur track. Fortunately we came down those but you went up. Basically it is lazy track setting which does not meet the Parks usual standard.
gbedford
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to AAWT