2015 AAWT track updates/conditions and some suggestions

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

2015 AAWT track updates/conditions and some suggestions

Postby Summitview » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 8:31 am

AAWT: Track conditions and updates as of 2015 and some suggestions

I walked the Australian Alpine Walking Track in discrete sections in 2015, heading northward along each section.

Track updates
The following notes are to assist future AAWT walkers. The references in my track updates are to Chapman, Chapman and Siseman, a wonderful resource. Be aware that that book was published in 2009, and the conditions described would reflect walking a year or two earlier. You should read the updates on Chapman’s website, as these are very useful, but the site does not appear to have been updated for quite some time. You may also want to read the track description by John and Lyn Daly in Take a Walk in Kosciusko National Park (which actually covers the whole track). The book came out in 2010, only one year late than Chapman, but appears to reflect the current track conditions better than Chapman in some places. My own notes were written up after getting back home, so with this caveat, I have tried to only include comments I have a confident memory of.

Times for walk sections

We found that the times indicated for each section in Chapman seemed consistent, in that we could generally work out from them what time we would take. Be aware, however, that the times Chapman gives reflects a period when the condition of the track was much worse than currently – it was more overgrown and not as well-marked. Take this into account, for example, when walking from Whitelaws Hut to Stronachs. It was particularly the case for the Stony Creek section in far north-eastern Victoria, where 2-3 hours, rather than 4 hours, are now required. The only place I thought the time given was inconsistent, and relatively faster, was for the climb up Johnnies Top.

Track conditions and signing

The condition of the track in NSW is generally not an issue, as the track follows vehicle tracks or roads almost the whole way. The junctions were generally well signed (with few markers in between, where they are not required). Similarly, in the ACT, the track is well-marked and Parks and Conservation staff have been diligent recently in clearing the track of fire regrowth and fallen trees.

Victoria is however a different matter. Much more of the AAWT is off vehicle tracks, and the numerous recent fires generate ongoing regrowth of scrub. On top of that, there is the annual fall of trees, particularly over winter. Where possible, a number of track managers try to clear the track in October/November. The reality is however, that this is dependent on the availability of funds each year. Having said that, the track is generally in pretty good condition due to some conscientious track clearing and marking over recent years. There was only one spot (other than along Buenba Creek) on the whole AAWT where we ended up navigating without the help of markers).

There is an accepted protocol for the whole AAWT for marking the track (including ‘totem’ posts before and after track junctions) and a standard yellow triangular metal marker. You will however find the Victorian sections of the track marked with a colourful diversity of posts, metal markers, cairns, tapes, yellow painted arrows and wood carvings! Part of this reflects historical conventions, but I suspect it also reflects what resources the gangs had at the time. The consequence of this is that you need to be alert along your path for whatever might indicate the way, and not have your brain programmed only to respond to see posts on the ground. So be alert to all sorts of markers and at all sorts of heights – up trees and on the ground and sometimes hidden by recent vegetation growth.

The AAWT is managed by Parks Victoria and the Department of Environment and Primary Industries (with some restrictions also placed by Melbourne Water), with seven different managers in Victoria. You will find that the style of marking and quality of track conditions will vary with each manager’s section. Having said that, we should all be very grateful for the work of the track gangs and the volunteer teams– it must be damn hard work!

Navigation/route finding

Due to the quality of the track marking, you probably won’t be doing much difficult navigation along the way (with the possible exception of some of the off-track side trips). Having said that, you should have good navigation skills and be an experienced navigator.

I want to say something about GPS’s. They are very useful devices, and an experienced navigator will on occasion find a grid reference reading very useful input in difficult terrain. But I will say this clearly – a GPS may tell you where you are, but it does not tell you what to do next. It particularly does not tell you the best way to get between your current location and your destination, which is generally not a straight line. Experience and good navigation skills remain essential. Please do not think you can buy a GPS and instantly become a good navigator – that can take decades.

I have mentioned above that the track markings vary, and you need to be alert. This might sound obvious, but I find that when I am tired, flies are driving me mad, and I am exerting myself up a steep hill, my alertness suffers. The truth is that you should be constantly be keeping track of where you are relative to the map. Most importantly, you should be anticipating what to look for at the next track junction, and what would tell you that you have gone too far (a ‘catching feature’). I found that cutting out the pages of Chapman (photocopy if you prefer) and carrying the relevant map pages handy in my chest pocket was an ideal way of navigating the track. I would also read the relevant text and survey the route overall at the start of the day. (Mind you, a hazard with this approach is that you might accidentally jump a map section, which can be highly confusing. The separation of the maps, altitude profiles and the relevant text in Chapman is an ongoing frustration when you gut the book into separate pages). I found that I very rarely needed to look at separate topographic maps. I am not going to suggest you do not carry topo maps, and you should have some idea as to the bigger picture – where the escape routes are if necessary. This is particularly relevant in the Rumpff Saddle to Mt Hotham section, where it could take several days to walk out to a frequently travelled road.

Water availability

This is most likely to be a problem between Rumpff Saddle and Mt Hotham, where you are following the ridge of the Great Divide. Chapman provides suggestions as to where water may be available, including some ‘after rain’. Conditions have changed considerably since the early 2000s. Not only are we seeing decreasing annual rainfalls, probably due to climate change, but recent fires have had a significant impact. The fires have prompted regrowth in many of the gullies, with two consequences: the gullies are difficult to access, and the scrub has also dried out the gullies. Many of the gullies are also filled with blackberries, particularly in the Barry Ranges. We walked this area in early November after significant rains and found some identified water sources dry.

Our response to this was to be conservative in our expectations as to where we would find water, and only to rely on the perennial supplies. The tanks in the Barry Ranges are extremely welcome in this regard. It meant on occasions carrying a day’s water to dry camps from reliable sources, and sometimes walking longer days. If you need to look for water, generally walk along a road to an intersecting creek rather than head down a gully from a saddle. I would recommend this overall strategy. The old approaches of, say the 1970s, of going down into the gullies to find water have the potential to be very frustrating unless you know the country well.

Transport to Walhalla

Getting to Walhalla by public transport used to be challenging. I spoke to Mountain Top tours (http://www.mountaintopexperience.com/walhalla-tours/), and while I didn’t need to use them, they sounded on the ball and knew what we required. They quoted $100 for pick up at Moe railway station and delivery to Walhalla. Moe taxis are a fallback, but the operator didn’t sound very interested.

1. Walhalla-Mt Victor. Walked November 2015.

Be aware of the risk of leeches in wet areas along this stretch, which is much of it.

O’Sheas Millsite is pretty, but a bit dark and a leech haven. If you have the time and energy on your first day, consider starting the climb up to the Baw Baw plateau. Note that camping appears to be allowed at Mt Erica carpark, with some reasonable sites at the eastern end of the carpark, with water very close by. Better still, head further on to Mushroom Rocks, but I suggest carrying water from the creek just past the carpark.

The track is in good condition and well-marked from Walhalla to about the junction with the Upper Yarra trail (41.7 km). After this there is increasing treefall and some scrub until Stronachs camp, but this will not slow you down much and is nothing like as scrubby as depicted in Chapman et al.

There are a couple of camping options at Stronachs, but the best appeared to be next to the car park (on the northern side of the road). Lots more leeches here.

The first kilometre or so immediately after leaving the road just northwest of Stronachs is well taped. Once the track starts to skirt to the east of the logging coupe, there are more treefalls and some caution is required, but keep looking for markers and the pad and the route should be followable.

Take care when looking for the track leaving the road to cross the Thomson River (just before 58.2km). There is a small AAWT totem post on the left, but it may be hidden by grass. From the road you may not recognise the 4WD track as such, as a major hump has been put in to close the track to 4WD use. If you get to Basalt Hill Track on your left, pace count back to find where the track leaves the road.

After Mt Easton, you join Easton Track at 61.9km. From here to Casper Creek Track not all the junctions have AAWT signposts, so stay aware of your location relative to the map.
Just past Red Jacket (70.3 km), you will leave the Victor Spur road to follow a foot track up the spur itself. Be aware that a well-established false lead heads off generally north sidling the spur on its west, very soon after leaving the road. Be careful to stay instead on the crest of the spur. The spur track is in good condition and well marked.

80.3 km. Note that there is now a 4WD track (not marked in Chapman et al) heading up the hill from this road junction, which joins Short Spur Track near its junction with Mt Selma Road (at 450353).

There is a large hut on Short Spur track (at about 454356). It appears to be run by hunters, and seems to be left open. I get the impression they accept that others will use it. It even has flowing water. Lots of hunting magazines and photos to delight you.

The section between 86.5 and 90.8 km towards Black River is confusing, due to new tracks or alignments, so navigate carefully. A GPS is handy here. It is particularly confusing at 462411 (page 590.At this point the road appears to have been extended north to meet the Champion Spur Track. If heading down the Black River Track, look for a marker on a tree just east of the track. The ‘overgrown track’ has been more recently cleared, but regrowth is coming up. Once on the Black River track (from 90.8km), the track is easy to follow. As you approach the river, however, carefully watch for the AAWT leaving the track (at about 474443). This junction is still some height above the river. Then follow the track almost to the river. When you see the river 5 metres away, you may be tempted to head to it. In fact, the AAWT continues another 50 metres or so, a few metres in from the western bank of the river. It emerges at the river at a major log across the river with AAWT carved into the log. Cross the log and the track is readily, if energetically, followable on the eastern side of the river. I think it was cleared in about 2014. Eventually you hit N15 track. Chapman’s notes say ‘wade across’ the river. In fact, you wade 50 metres down the river. If you look carefully from where N15 meets the eastern bank of the river, you can see an AAWT blue marker downstream, where you will exit on the western bank. Walk uphill for about 100 metres until a small cairn marks a small campsite. The AAWT leaves the road here and heads down to a major log crossing. This can be very slippery, and it is clear many have preferred to wade across the river instead.

The track up Mt Shillinglaw has been recently cleared and is generally well-marked. The final kilometre or two there is thick regrowth and some treefall in places. The track is slightly to the south or east of the crest of the spur. While you might lose the track briefly, it should be relatively easy to navigate the spur. Just past Mt Shillinglaw, you hit McMillans Track; make sure you recognise this junction and head north, not south-east!

The water Chapman marks just west of Rumpff Saddle is now not easy to access. The water marked south of the Saddle on Middle Ridge Road (467557, map page 64) looked like it is pretty reliable.

At 124.4 km, the continuation of the AAWT is not initially obvious, but is marked on the eastern side of the cleared helipad area.

We did not look for water at 126.6. I understand it is now pretty slow going to get to the creek.

Be prepared for the fact there is a deer carcass across the track shortly before you hit the road near Low Saddle (at 127.7 km)!
There had been considerable recent rain when we walked this section, but we could not find the ‘puddle’ marked by Chapman just northwest of Low Saddle (and we are not sure that we found the old highly overgrown jeep track heading towards it!) Instead, we walked north from Low Saddle along Low Saddle Road to the creeks coming off the ridge up to Mt McDonald (about 506686, page 72). The creek was taped, suggesting others use it for water collection. It was flowing well due to recent rain; I don't know how persistent it is in dry weather.

At 135.2 km (page 72) – two cairns at the turn off.

Many people propose going over the top of High Cone, but we found the AAWT sidle worked fine.

Conversely, five years ago, I found the sidle around Square Top slow and frustrating. Can highly recommend going over Square Top. Going northbound, there is a major pad heading up that way from 609728 (page 730. There are lots of leads through the woodlands. As you approach the actual summit of Square Top (as marked by Chapman), do not be tempted to sidle along the open leads on the western side, as this sets up an awkward path dropping and traversing into the saddle at 147.5 km.

It is a little confusing at 627773 (one km north of 150.5km) as the track heads off northwest along a spur. In fact the track eventually loops back to the east, but it is easier to take the short-cut as shown on Chapman (even if his map does not appear to show the actual route of the jeep track).

Mt Speculation higher camp (171.9km). The track down to water actually heads downhill about 50 metres west of this campsite. There are good campsites just downhill from the locked gate (near 172.3km), on three different levels. These lack the views of the higher campsite, but are closer to water and are better sheltered.

Chapman’s light green short cut from Mt Speculation campsite towards Catherine Saddle is cairned from the Catherine Saddle road. Don’t know what condition the track is in or whether it is cairned at the Mt Speculation campsite end.

The track from Catherine Saddle to Barry Saddle is very well marked and generally well-cleared. You will still have to look carefully for markers, and be ready to retrace your steps when you realise you have followed false leads. This is particularly the case between 178.8 and 180.0 (maps pages 86-87), and just after you enter the burnt forest in the saddle just south of 180.0 km.

In Spring 2015, there was an unhelpful rumour circulating that one or more tanks in the Barry Ranges had been vandalised. The old Barry Mountains Water Tank has been unusable for a long time, but the other four (Barry Saddle, near East Riley, South Selwyn and near the Twins) were all fine.

Map page 92. The East Riley tank is very close to the road (I would say at 848967 – Chapman has it a bit further south). Probably worth dropping down to the East Riley road at 849959, as the track here is overgrown with logs across it. The road also avoids an unnecessary hill. You can backtrack to the tank from where the road and AAWT meet.

2. Mt Hotham-Thredbo. Walked November/December 2015

Wallaces Hut (near 258.9km). Note that camping is strictly not allowed at the beautiful campsites next to the hut. But you may well not see the sign indicating this.

Note, if you cut out the pages of the guide by Chapman et al, that there is a small piece of map on page 124! Miss this, and you might be highly confused!

Note that the direction arrow on the AAWT ‘totem’ post just before you reach Big River Road (at 381282, page 124) is wrong. It indicates to go straight ahead (across the road junction); some people appear to have done this, forming a pad in the scrub on the other side of the road. Instead, you should turn left onto Big River Road.

Just east of 319.0 km, the tracks and the creek drainage pattern for Four Mile Creek are different in Chapman et al to what it is on the Leinster map. The tracks in Chapman appear to be correct, while the creek pattern appears to be correct on the Leinster map. The significance of this is that the water in the ford is more like 600 metres past the track junction, not 200 metres, as in Chapman.

The track down to Morass Creek from 328.9 km is narrow and awkwardly cambered, but is cleared and well sign-posted. Be careful to note a dog-leg turn back to the north at one point (rather than continuing straight on). The markers continue to the creek, which if followed carefully will take you to a point where you can complete a ‘dry foot’ crossing.

Note there is now a communications tower at Johnnies Top. We understand that the generator can come on at night, which may be disturbing if you are camped close to the tank. We did not have a problem, but it was a windy night. There is an alternative, but less convenient, camp site a few hundred metres along the jeep track, just past where the AAWT heads off east.
352.6 to 357.8 km along Buenba River. There are lots of pads along this section. Early on you may be able to follow markers, but they then become sparse and unfollowable. You don’t need them and will waste time looking for them. Just keep close to the creek, particularly as you approach the ‘gorge’ area just past 354.6km.

East from Buenba Hut site (357.8 km). I did not notice any markers from the hut site to the road. You need to be alert looking for where the track leaves the road; the marker was not obvious and was up the embankment. I am not sure now, but I think the marker was on a tree that has now fallen.Follow the markers with care for the first few hundred metres, avoiding diverging wild horse tracks.

The section of track along the ridgeline from 362.4 to 364.4 (page 141) is overgrown and difficult to follow. It looks like most people are now instead using the Mt Hope Road.

Buckwong Creek. The markers are followable with care from 369.3 for the next kilometre or so, and then the track is readily followed to Davies Plain Ridge.

Approaching Dead Horse Creek. Chapman and the Victorian Topo maps have the track in different places approaching Dead Horse Creek. Chapman has it a few hundred metres to the east going down a spur, while the topo map has it going down a creek to the west. The track was well-marked until about 933256 (page 145). This is the one place along the whole of the AAWT (other than Buenba Creek) we ended up unable to follow markers. This may have been because we assumed Chapman was right and that the track was on the spur. I suspect the topo maps are correct, and the track continues down the tributary creek to Dead Horse Creek. We eventually found the track on the southern side of Dead Horse Creek, a little way up the slope on the southern side of Dead Horse Creek, a bit further downstream.

From 385.3 km. The track up Stony Creek is now easy to follow – it is well marked and generally above and to the west of the creek at the break of the slope. We had difficulty only at only one place a kilometre or so past 385.3 km. The track goes down to the creek and it appears that you take the easier crossing to the east, when in fact you need to take the ‘leap’ across the creek to the south. A marker confirms this just past the crossing, but is not visible before crossing.

There is also an unsignposted dogleg back to the left (east) to leave the creek and access the final spur (at 967193). Please note most topo maps are incorrect here and have the AAWT curving up east then north-east, initially along the creek, rather than climbing the spur, as indicated in Chapman. Chapman’s alignment is correct.

‘Source of the Murray’. Cairns mark two departure points from Cowombat Trail at 061272, as marked on Chapman (page 156). The track might be followable with care, but there are a number of brumby tracks. A GPS here is very handy, particularly if you are looking for the ‘designated’ source of the Murray. If you are lucky, you will follow a good pad up the hill (on the bearing of the Vic/NSW border) from the junction of the creeks as marked on Chapman. Keep your eyes peeled for a humble metal post just to the left of the track in a tea-tree thicket – this is the nominal ‘source’ (it would help to have a precise GPS waypoint). It is just before you get to a cairn and junction of pads. You can then follow the pad further uphill to a clearing and then find the pad continuing the other side of the clearing to the first Black and Allen cairn. Good luck!

Tin Mine Falls. The final spur leading down to Chapman’s viewing point is now very overgrown with fire regrowth. In fact, the western edge of the spur is rocky in parts and therefore has less scrub and is easier going and, more importantly, provides views of the falls. You may be able to see the falls from higher up the spur than where Chapman has marked (in the area of 104398, map on page 159).

I can highly recommend approaching Kosciusko via the Ramshead Range. Superb walking and excellent views, but a bit slower-going for the terrain under foot.

3. Thredbo to Kiandra. Walked March/April 2015

p186. Regarding descending from the Rolling Ground from GR 240807. There is no evidence of the steel-reinforced track remaining at that saddle. At the saddle, a faint track heads down the gully. After say 50 metres there is a cairn on the right and a vague track can be found with care just after the cairn heading right into the scrub. The pad becomes followable after a while, and later evidence of the reinforcement of the track can be found. The track can then be followed down to White River hut.

p188 I suggest that water be collected upstream from the hut to avoid pollution from the toilet. (I fell foul of gastro here, probably for that reason, some years ago). I also encourage you to brush your boots here with the brush supplied, as the NPWS have put up a sign encouraging walkers to help prevent the spread of phytophthora.

I highly recommend the alternative route over the Kerries to Mawson Hut, and then through to O’Keefes Hut, if you have good weather. The Kerries was one of the highlights of the whole AAWT.

P189. We found no evidence of the pad heading down from GR 258895 to Mawsons Hut, but the vegetation is not an impediment.

P192 and map on p197. According to the Jagungal 1:25,000. the route described strictly does not go to McAlister Saddle, which is a few hundred metres to the east.

P192. The route from about GR 268006 to O’Keefe’s Hut is now very scrubby with post-fire regrowth. Suggest persevering until the first creek is reached at about GR264010, and then following the lead on the immediate true left of the creek down to the hut.

P203. The route up from Happys Hut north to the AAWT has been burnt, and there were a number of reports, including in the Happys Hut logbook, of people meeting bad scrub. We didn’t find that at all. There was a pad across the valley and leading into the snow gums. We were able to follow a pad through a mosaic of grassy leads up to the road without any problems. Most of the time we followed the crest of the shallow ridgeline.

4. Kiandra-Tharwa. Walked October 2015.

P 216. There is now a well-formed pad walking north from Millers Hut which crosses Bally Creek northeast at 423481 which leads around the spur to meet Port Phillip Road at about 424487.
Map page 219. When the track north from Blue Waterhole Saddle reaches the plain at about 515530, there is now a Y junction, with a track currently unmarked which heads north to north-east to meet the Blue Waterholes Track. This latter track is clearly marked as the AAWT. This is a little confusing, but if the track markers are followed, there is no problem.

P 228. There are 3-4 good flat sheltered campsite about 30 metres south of the Murray Gap sign. I would say these are the best in that locality.

P228. Bimberi Peak. There is a well-formed pad heading north across the grasslands to the forest on the other side of the gap. It is well signposted with cairns and currently with tapes to the summit. Slightly greater care needs to be taken going downhill. The track is a little harder to follow heading back on the first kilometre down from the summit (on the flatter top), and there are some false leads in the steeper section that follows.

P 230. We think we identified the campsites identified just before Cotter Gap, but their condition is not great.
Summitview
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: 2015 AAWT track updates/conditions and some suggestions

Postby wildlight » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 9:43 pm

Awesome stuff Summitview, thanks so much for posting this.

Cheers

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ktjarrah » Wed 16 Dec, 2015 12:34 pm

Thanks so much for the update. I'm heading off boxing day so this has been super helpful. Legend.
ktjarrah
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby Uncle Rumple » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 3:37 pm

Four of us have just finished the Benambra-Corryong Rd to Thredbo section. Thks Summitview for your helpful notes .

Here are a few extra comments:

Heading northbound from 357.8 (Buenba Hut)

We found the roads here don't match the Gibbo paper map nor do they match Chapman's map. My advice is: from the two tall trees marking the hut site at 821 378, walk SSE across the flat, a few hundred metres towards a white 'bushfire' sign on a slight rise across the flat. Keep going up the rise past the sign to a road and turn right on the road. About 30 metres down the road, at 823 373 the AAWT path heads SSE up a ridge. You will see a familiar yellow marker about 50 metres up the path.

Chapman page 154 - Source of the Murray
To add to the comments about the source of the Murray - the steel post is at 06775 26978. Apologies for the 5 digit pedantry but 3 digits (100 metres) are not enough - if you are five metres away from it, you might miss it. The Black and Allen cairn is no longer in the clearing to the north of the Forrest Hill summit . The cairn hasnt moved - but its now surrounded by regrowth, and hard to see - it is at 07171 26767

Chapman page 160 - Tin Mine Falls
We found a good viewpoint on the edge of a slightly scary cliff at 10519 39940 . It's a point above and to the right hand (southern) side of the falls so doesn't give you the low down (and almost) full frontal view view in Chapman's photo, but is relatively easy to get to and doesn't involve too much bush bashing.
Uncle Rumple
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Eljimberino » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 10:13 pm

Thank you Summitview very informative.

Above Whites hut there still is a metal ground sheet. I found it when I went back to look for a water bottle in the morning.

I'll be giving the bush track to Happy's a go based on your recommendation.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby jobell » Wed 06 Apr, 2016 10:32 pm

I can second Summitviews experience on the bush track leading north out of Happy's. It was no trouble at all. We left instructions on how to reverse walk it in the log book at the next hut. I forget which hut that was though.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GBW » Wed 06 Apr, 2016 11:33 pm

jobell wrote:I can second Summitviews experience on the bush track leading north out of Happy's. It was no trouble at all. We left instructions on how to reverse walk it in the log book at the next hut. I forget which hut that was though.

Thanks Jobell. The next hut heading north would be Four Mile or Broken Dam depending which way you go. The start point for the route down to Happys wasn't obvious heading south, but we did see the pad heading north from Happys once we arrived. Must have missed your entry in the log book...still...quite easy to get there...just keep going down until you reach the bottom!
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CabinFever » Wed 04 May, 2016 4:21 pm

The updates are invaluable for my planning for an attempt of the AAWT in Oct/Nov 2016. Thank you!

I was wondering if anyone was aware if the pool/dam on the Stander Creek (55 H 447077 5838100) is a reliable water supply and it's current state? Google Earth shows it to be of a reasonable size but the imagery is from Jan 2014.

As Summitviews suggests, there are a range of "advices" (old, new, correct, misleading) regarding water sources along the Rumpff Saddle to Mt Hotham section, could anyone offer a current perspective of what/where might be reliable and accessible sources?

Thanks greatly.
CabinFever
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 05 May, 2016 4:14 pm

CabinFever, nice name. You don't have to be crazy to post here, but it helps.

At the top of the AAWT area tehre are three stickies, with an exclamation mark. These have information about the AAWT in three sections. Some is dated but should give an idea of the situation.

The creeks are generally running dry now, and maybe the tanks as well. For example, Magdala and Mac Springs are dry or you have to go down a fair way for water, perhaps not viable. Viking Saddle has been dry for some time, a longish walk down. This will hopefully change after winter when precipitation will make creeks run more.

The three new tanks in the Barries should be fine. Barry Saddle needs treating, bit suss, but should be okay. The creek at Speculation has always run. If it's slow part way down from the shoulder campsite - the nice place to stop - then go to the road.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Drummo62 » Fri 06 May, 2016 9:57 am

I walked Walhalla to Hotham in March 2016 and despite what has been an extended dry spell I found water ok. It should be noted though that the mountains had 20ml of rain the week before I started and it also rained while walking.

I collected water at the following places.
Rumpff - I didn't have a water or food drop so collected water along Middle Ridge Road at GR467557
It rained most of the next day. I didn't look for water around Low Saddle and my next campsite was the saddle after Mt MacDonald (138.5 in Chapmans book) I found water down the track to the south west but it had been raining.
The was water at Chesters Yard and also just before Brocks Road
I carried sufficient water from my Brocks Rd camp to get to Camp Creek. Water was flowing under the road and looked reliable. Notes at Viking Saddle indicated that previous hikers had walked a long way down without finding water.
After Camp creek you are fairly reliant on the water tanks at Barry Saddle, East Riley, South Selwyn and Twins. All had water in March 2016. After Camp creek I camped at Barry Saddle then Murrays Hut. I didn't find water at Murrays Hut so it would be prudent to carry enough from South Selwyn. It is then only 5km to the tank just before climbing the Twins.
Drummo62
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby CabinFever » Mon 09 May, 2016 10:32 am

Thanks very much for your additional information. It is greatly appreciated and most helpful
CabinFever
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby scoha » Mon 09 May, 2016 7:40 pm

Echo Drummo62 comments but add the following from my AAWT in November last year:

- there are a few good soaks heading north out of Low Saddle which I found - only a few hundred metres up the road
- I found water at Murray Saddle but it was an epic 500m bash down thick bush and not a great way to end the day! Much better to push on to the new tank pre Twins
- Viking Saddle was just about dry after an extended period of no rain last year
- Barry Saddle tank is a bit like drinking tea with wriggly protein swimmers - though it didn't actually taste bad or have ill effect - strain it through a Chux and you will survive!

Have fun. Its a brilliant adventure.
scoha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to AAWT