Should the AAWT alignment be changed?

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Should the AAWT alignment be changed?

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 1:20 pm

On the AAWT between Tharwa and Thredbo I saw places where the AAWT could have a new alignment. Nothing major, just possibles. Some may need cutting, some will need nothing more than tape.

Coming out of the Orroral Valley the 4WD track goes from SW to SE to meet the Cotter Hut Road. At that SW-SE bend it should be possible to go NW to meet the road maybe a kilometre higher than the present 4WD-road junction.

About a third of parties walking the AAWT go to Happys Hut, with about 100 people total a year in non-winter going Happys-Witzes or vice versa. A track in the somewhat tenacious scrub north from Happys Hut to the AAWT near Boltons Hill Trail is indicated. Going south to Happys Hut is not too bad, but uphill would be slow and tiresome.

From Happys Hut the southbound route to rejoin the AAWT is east to Tabletop Mountain Trail, then south and SE to Happy Jacks Road. It would be a more aesthetic and shorter route to go south from Happys Hut across Happy Jacks Plain to meet the AAWT west of the Dr Phillips Hut site. There would then be a new leg of about 4.4 kilometres south from near Boltons Hill Trail to west of the Dr Phillips Hut site.

Sane bushwalkers will avoid the official route from Schlink Pass to Dead Horse Gap. Instead, the Main Range, as described by Chapman, is much more pleasant. Should there be representations to have the Main Range the official route?

On a related topic, on the plains from Mackays Hut to Schlink Pass there are numerous variations. The most westerly to Grey Mare Hut is the official route. I suspect that many climb Jagungal, and that can be done by going south to Valentines Hut. I’m aware of one northbound party going over Gungartan, perhaps rejoining the official route in the O’Keefes-Mackays region. With the possible exception of taking the quad to or from a food drop at Thredbo (a nice way to tackle this slope), parties walk between Wallhalla and Tharwa or vice vera, with variations to the AAWT as detailed above.

Do any of the above variations mean that a party has not done the AAWT?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Should the AAWT alignment be changed?

Postby north-north-west » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 4:46 pm

Lophophaps wrote:About a third of parties walking the AAWT go to Happys Hut, with about 100 people total a year in non-winter going Happys-Witzes or vice versa. A track in the somewhat tenacious scrub north from Happys Hut to the AAWT near Boltons Hill Trail is indicated. Going south to Happys Hut is not too bad, but uphill would be slow and tiresome.

Wasn't that bad when I've done it, but the regrowth has obviously taken off since. There is the third option of descending via the FT and then turning off as soon as you get to more open ground.
Given the shortness off the detours involved it's probably not worth cutting extra tracks.

From Happys Hut the southbound route to rejoin the AAWT is east to Tabletop Mountain Trail, then south and SE to Happy Jacks Road. It would be a more aesthetic and shorter route to go south from Happys Hut across Happy Jacks Plain to meet the AAWT west of the Dr Phillips Hut site. There would then be a new leg of about 4.4 kilometres south from near Boltons Hill Trail to west of the Dr Phillips Hut site.

It's very, very easy cross country walking to Mackeys or beyond. Again, probably not worth putting in markers on the existing brumby pads to direct traffic.

Sane bushwalkers will avoid the official route from Schlink Pass to Dead Horse Gap. Instead, the Main Range, as described by Chapman, is much more pleasant. Should there be representations to have the Main Range the official route?

It should always have been the route and this is what I believe was originally intended, but they won't do it. NSW Parks are still politically opposed to the AAWT concept, and even more so to the idea of encouraging traffic over what they consider to be the more sensitive and less visited areas of the Main Range. All it would take is, like Happy Jacks Plain, markers following the old 4WD track and then the most obvious pads. But Moondog will be having his winter ski camp in Hades before it happens.

On a related topic, on the plains from Mackays Hut to Schlink Pass there are numerous variations. The most westerly to Grey Mare Hut is the official route. I suspect that many climb Jagungal, and that can be done by going south to Valentines Hut. I’m aware of one northbound party going over Gungartan, perhaps rejoining the official route in the O’Keefes-Mackays region. With the possible exception of taking the quad to or from a food drop at Thredbo (a nice way to tackle this slope), parties walk between Wallhalla and Tharwa or vice vera, with variations to the AAWT as detailed above.

Do any of the above variations mean that a party has not done the AAWT?

As far as I am concerned, if you've walked the whole way between Walhalla and Tharwa, along the official or one of the recognised alternative routes, you've done the AAWT. Doubtful Creek to Schlink can include any or all of Farm Ridge, Strawberry Hill, the Grey Mare, the Ghost, the Bull Peaks and Brassies, Tarn Bluff, Mailbox and Cup & Saucer, the Kerries and Gungartan. I even include the climb up Disappointment from Munyang as a viable alternative route.

Cowombat Flat-Tin Mine via the Pilot, or Limestone to Cowombat via the Cobberas, and Bogong/Quartz Ridge/Grey Hills are amongst other acceptable variations further south.

It's not like coming off the OT at Narcissus. People who do so are stopping short. Pedantry is fine for some things, but the AAWT 'official' route is not one.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby scoha » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 6:47 pm

Agree with NNW sentiments. Some comments from my recent (SoBo) trip as follows:

- the Kerries & Gungarten in my mind are a must-do and is one of the AAWT highlights - weather permitting of course. Combined with Mawson to Jagungal adds to two extensive days off track in beautiful country
- crazy that the Main Range is not seen as the champagne route of choice for the AAWT - crowning glory and all that (weather permitting) and NSW Parks should come to respect that this is a world class walk - I met a few internationals doing the walk.
- Although the Cobberras are hard work I think they will always remain in the optional basket as they are difficult (but rewarding no less) - The Pilot to my mid was always an essential part and is hugely satisfying
- Think J&MC should consider documenting the Bogong Quartz Ridge Grey Hills track as an alternative - spectacular walking and vastly better than the Timms Lookout road bash IMHO
- Theres a ready made slight improvement to the route around from Mt Little Baldy near Hotham - theres an old road which contours just beneath the actual road and is a more pleasant options than the road in this section (it comes out just near Blowhard Hut)
- The Twins were a revelation (just wanted to say that! - Incredibly steep but oh so rewarding)
scoha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gbedford » Thu 14 Jan, 2016 5:33 pm

I would like to say that now having connected up the sections I had not done between Walhalla and Hotham I was very disappointed in the section between Stronachs and Black River. That has to be some the worst bushwalking I have ever done. For the main it is just up and down very steep 4wd tracks. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. It has little to redeem it. Even the official campsites on the Thomson and Jordan Rivers are poverty stricken.

I don't know how but I would like this section changed.

The Skene Lookout leg is heavily overgrown and the Barkly River track down to Rumff Saddle has to be one of the worst examples of 4wd erosion I have ever seen. Rumff Saddle was mass of fresh and ripe cow pats from a heard of cattle running loose up there. We found a spot down a little side track.

The rest of the walk was good but I already knew that as having walked nearly all of it before before. Obviously there were some overgrown sections with fire regrowth and the Barry's were a little tedious, especially the up and down 4wd tracks.

Gordon
gbedford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 15 Jan, 2016 7:11 am

Unfortunately, budget issues mean that more of the AAWT is likely to be shifted onto 4WD tracks rather than using harder to main dedicated walking tracks, as opposed to the reverse, which we would all prefer.
4wders have more money and a bigger political presence. They always get the preference. :(
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby peregrinator » Fri 15 Jan, 2016 8:55 am

north-north-west wrote:Unfortunately, budget issues mean that more of the AAWT is likely to be shifted onto 4WD tracks rather than using harder to main dedicated walking tracks, as opposed to the reverse, which we would all prefer.
4wders have more money and a bigger political presence. They always get the preference.

Oh so true. And that's despite what gbedford writes about "the worst examples of 4WD erosion I have ever seen."

I've made several suggestions to Parks Victoria about reclassifying some Seasonally Closed tracks as year-round Management Vehicle Only and walking tracks. Rangers have been receptive but the bureaucrats are always opposed. Even where parallel year-round tracks already exist nearby.

But back to Lophophaps original post, I totally agree with north-north-west that:

It's not like coming off the OT at Narcissus. People who do so are stopping short. Pedantry is fine for some things, but the AAWT 'official' route is not one.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Mon 18 Jan, 2016 10:31 am

gbedford wrote:I would like to say that now having connected up the sections I had not done between Walhalla and Hotham I was very disappointed in the section between Stronachs and Black River. That has to be some the worst bushwalking I have ever done. For the main it is just up and down very steep 4wd tracks. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. It has little to redeem it. Even the official campsites on the Thomson and Jordan Rivers are poverty stricken.

I don't know how but I would like this section changed.

The Skene Lookout leg is heavily overgrown and the Barkly River track down to Rumff Saddle has to be one of the worst examples of 4wd erosion I have ever seen. Rumff Saddle was mass of fresh and ripe cow pats from a heard of cattle running loose up there. We found a spot down a little side track.

The rest of the walk was good but I already knew that as having walked nearly all of it before before. Obviously there were some overgrown sections with fire regrowth and the Barry's were a little tedious, especially the up and down 4wd tracks.

Gordon

I've seen those bits as necessary evils to get from one magnificent place to the next. But as I now have goals that interest me more than joining a few of those dots from a distance, I (a little sadly) don't expect I'll ever quite finish the AWT - as I'll always think of it, along with my favourite yellow signs with the baggy pants.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to AAWT