Best (non-gps) alternative to Chapman guidebook

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Best (non-gps) alternative to Chapman guidebook

Postby Eljimberino » Tue 26 Jan, 2016 3:44 pm

Having walked the AAWT Jan-Feb last year, I feel, perhaps stupidly, that I know the track kinda well now. With the distinctive sections and iconic names and places I can pretty much (although this is impossible) recreate the entire walk in my imagination. When I walked I used a ripped up guidebook with the relevant pages for each day.

Also, I laboriously scanned every page of the guidebook and transferred it to a kindle as a back up, but I'm looking for an alternative this time. I have nothing against the guidebook but it's nice to be able to lay a map flat and survey the area, then fold it for the days walking.

I'm walking end to end again, north to south this time. I know there are maps - but I'm asking for recommendations from people who have bought the maps: which ones are the best? which ones are a waste of money? which ones are no longer available?

Speaking with other people who bought the map set, they said some maps were not needed because they only cover 5-10km of the track - is this correct?

So my overall question is, for someone with a fair idea of the track, what are the minimum and best maps needed?
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Best (non-gps) alternative to Chapman guidebook

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 26 Jan, 2016 9:40 pm

Between Tharwa and Thredbo there are too many maps. the 1:25s have a lot of deatil but there are too many of them. Many years ago all we had was 1:100s, and for most of the above section these will suffice. The only exception is the mainly trackless part between Bally Creek and the Murrumbidgee River. The section between Kiandra and Mt Tabletop is on slivers of two 1;25s, Ravine and Cabramurra, barely worth it. I believe that Mackays Hut to Thredbo is covered by a good 1:50. I had my 1:50s from 1981, sticky tape and holes, mystery walking.

A handful of places are a tad tricky, but that's all. With care, and especially if you have doen it before and can remember the route, it should be okay in fine weather. In poor visibilty it will be harder.

My minium would be 1:100s with one 1:25 for Bally Creek to the Murrumbidgee River. Consider 1:50s if you can get them, much better. And take paper maps in case the technology dies.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Eljimberino » Thu 28 Jan, 2016 10:11 am

Thank you
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby icefest » Thu 28 Jan, 2016 10:31 am

IIRC The Melbourne Map Centre allow you to print 1:30k maps centred at whichever spot you wish. If you get these printed double-sided they could be quite useful for the remoter stretches.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to AAWT