Hire car for food drops

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Hire car for food drops

Postby Stroller » Sun 31 Jan, 2016 6:27 pm

Hi. I wasn't going to do this but i thought maybe i should check it out at least. So, if i hire a car, what's it likely to cost per day from the canberra end and how many days do i need to drop off the food through the mountains?

Can you recommend a cheap hire car company for the job. I'm not from the area and don't want to spend time shopping around when i'm down there.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Re: Hire car for food drops

Postby neilmny » Mon 01 Feb, 2016 8:52 am

I think you find that a hire agreement will not allow you to take the car on rough roads to the remote places.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Mon 01 Feb, 2016 9:12 am

How long the drive would take depends on a number of factors, including exactly where you're doing your drops and your driving experience and skills on gravel roads. You want to allow a bare minimum of 3 days overall if you aren't familiar with the roads.
Make sure you have your route planned well in advance and make it as efficient as possible to minimise wasted time and distance.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby GBW » Mon 01 Feb, 2016 9:30 am

Google should answer your questions about the car...search for "car hire Canberra" and follow the prompts. You could even book it online! Yes, check what roads you're allowed on. I hired a 4wd in Darwin and was allowed on most 4wd tracks through Kakadu but best to check first.

How long will it take to place the drops?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Canb ... 819998!3e0

That depends how many drops you want and where you want to place them but for the whole track with drops in the usual places...about 2-3 days...then when you finish, 2-3 more days to pick them up.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stroller » Tue 02 Feb, 2016 8:14 pm

I posted this in aawt because i am doing the aawt walk and on this forum have seen plenty of references to others using hire cars to place food drops. Perhaps i need to post this question elsewhere on the forum as it seems people who have done the walk are not looking at this part of the forum anymore.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jobell » Wed 06 Apr, 2016 5:40 pm

Stroller... have you considered hitching to Omeo when you cross the Omeo-wherever Rd and posting a drop there rather than dropping one on the Benambra-Corryong Rd?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby jobell » Wed 06 Apr, 2016 5:42 pm

Happy to discuss if you want to message me. I don't log in too often. You could also post to Bright or Hotham (or go shopping in Bright)

"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Xplora » Wed 06 Apr, 2016 7:35 pm

jobell wrote:Stroller... have you considered hitching to Omeo when you cross the Omeo-wherever Rd and posting a drop there rather than dropping one on the Benambra-Corryong Rd?

Hitching to Omeo can be difficult and the shopping there is very poor and expensive. You also have to hitch back. Posting one to Omeo would be OK and the mail run could take it out to the Glen Wills retreat which is only a couple of km's down the road from the AAWT. The postie is great and is usually happy to help. You would have to make arrangements with the retreat to take the goods but his rates are great for us walkers for a night so you could refresh if that is your thing. Not sure if he would take the parcel otherwise. It is about half way and you can have a bed with a hot shower. He will even drop you back up the hill. A bus does run from Hotham to Bright and the shopping there is much better. To work out the cost of a hire car is like asking how much is a piece of string. How many drops? Where are the drops? What sort of vehicle?
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jdeks » Thu 07 Apr, 2016 1:07 am

I've got a heavy-duty dirtbike that can carry luggage and go down pretty much any trail, and cover a lot more distance in a lot less time than any hire car.

Lemme know if you want some help. Gimme some co-ords and sack of food, and I'll put it there. I live in this region and any excuse for a ride is good enough for me, and I'm keen to suss out AAWT food drop sites for my own plans

PM me if you're interested. :)
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to AAWT