Walhalla to Hotham water availability

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Walhalla to Hotham water availability

Postby Drummo62 » Thu 03 Mar, 2016 10:01 am

Hi,
I am planning on walking Walhalla to Hotham commencing on Sunday 13 March. The current dry spell has me a bit worried about water availability and looking for any up to date intel or learned opinions.

The Vic alps had good rainfall during January (100mm+ at Mt Baw Baw, Buller and Hotham) but virtually no rain during Feb. Given this rainfall pattern how reliable do you think Chapman's suggested water sources will be? I'm doing the walk without a food/water drop so starting with a decent load but I'll have capacity to carry 6 litres of water. Concerned about getting to a so called reliable source and finding it dry.

Thanks to all have provided updates on the forum - It has been a fantastic help in planning. Thank you.
Drummo62
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Walhalla to Hotham water availability

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 03 Mar, 2016 10:40 am

At the top are three stickies about the AAWT: Walhalla to Hotham, to Thredbo, and to Tharwa. The one starting at Walhalla has notes that should assist you. There’s also a very detailed thread "2015 AAWT track updates". This is four months old but gives an idea of what to expect.

In brief, some water points are dead, and you need to identify water that is fully reliable.

Note that Chapman's book is 15 years old, and some sections are dated.

If you have questions about sections that are unclear, I suggest that you post them here.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Re: Walhalla to Hotham water availability

Postby Drummo62 » Fri 04 Mar, 2016 8:16 am

Thanks Lophophaps. The updates particularly the detailed post from Summitview was very helpful. Hopefully I can reciprocate to help out others when I get back.
Drummo62
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to AAWT