Wanted to buy - The Maps

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Wanted to buy - The Maps

Postby Stroller » Tue 19 Jul, 2016 10:54 am

Hi Does anyone want to sell me their set of maps for the AAWT?
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Re: Wanted to buy - The Maps

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 8:56 am

Stroller wrote:Hi Does anyone want to sell me their set of maps for the AAWT?

No. In any case, my maps are way too old, like the CMA 1:50 series. A thought. Use 1:100s for most if not all of the trip. Augment these with the book, which is heavy but has good detail. The 4WD and tracked sections don't need much navigation. For many years all we had in some areas was 1:100s, so it should be possible.

For example, Barry Saddle to Mt Wills is all or mostly on tracks. Thawra to Happy Jacks Plain and beyond is on 4WD tracks. Add a GPS and it's not hard.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby oyster_07 » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 11:15 am

Lophophaps wrote:A thought. Use 1:100s for most if not all of the trip. Augment these with the book, which is heavy but has good detail.

Just to clarify, the book contains 1:25K strip maps.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GBW » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 11:47 am

oyster_07 wrote:Just to clarify, the book contains 1:25K strip maps.

Isn't the book 1:50K?
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stroller » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 11:50 am

Thanks I'll consider this.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby oyster_07 » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 12:15 pm

GBW wrote:
oyster_07 wrote:Just to clarify, the book contains 1:25K strip maps.

Isn't the book 1:50K?

Oh, it might be.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 1:22 pm

The book has 1:50,000 maps and the elevation profiles are 1:20,000. One advantage of the 1:100s is that it's possible to walk off the route and still have a map. An overall map of each section at perhaps 1:250,000 will give perspective. Such a map can be drawn by hand. The detail does not have to be great, just the AAWT, major mountains, rivers, roads and campsites, with some distances marked. I find the 1:25s hard for perspective.

At 1:250 using A4 the maps would be something like:
Walhalla to Howitt;
Howitt to Omeo Hwy;
Omeo Hwy to Schlink Hut; and
Schlink Hut to Tharwa.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Mutley » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 5:10 pm

I have a full set, used 2 years ago. They do have some highlighting and pen notes on them, but are in really good condition. Feel free to make an offer, but I am overseas for thenext 4 weeks and wouldn't be able to give you more details until I return. They come in a large folder, with an index of maps.
Mutley
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stroller » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 6:24 pm

We can discuss again when you return Mutley. I'm at home until end of September but not like ot pick up the maps before at least december anyway. So you see no hurry. And despite the conversation below, i am not rushing to make up my mind about anything. I'm considering all options.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stroller » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 6:31 pm

Lophophaps wrote:The book has 1:50,000 maps and the elevation profiles are 1:20,000. One advantage of the 1:100s is that it's possible to walk off the route and still have a map. An overall map of each section at perhaps 1:250,000 will give perspective. Such a map can be drawn by hand. The detail does not have to be great, just the AAWT, major mountains, rivers, roads and campsites, with some distances marked. I find the 1:25s hard for perspective.

At 1:250 using A4 the maps would be something like:
Walhalla to Howitt;
Howitt to Omeo Hwy;
Omeo Hwy to Schlink Hut; and
Schlink Hut to Tharwa.

I'm getting a little confused but interested in what you are generally suggesting Lophohaps. If i bought 1:250 maps why would i be using A4? Are you saying i would print them off hte net from somewhere? Where?

People have been telling me where to print off the route from the net but I can't remember what the scale is. Now i'm thinking a combination of doing what they suggest - printing those maps sections in the bigger scale, (Instead of buy those maps), the book and the four complete maps you mention above (which i imagine i would buy because I can't see how you would fit hte whole map on an A4 page at hte right scale, for context would be a cheaper solution and probably cover all my bases, given i'll have either an etrex 20 gps iwth me as well as an iphone. And a voltaic 9 solar charger and battery pack.

If i seem to be getting the wrong idea about the 1:250 maps could you perhaps tell me the name of hte map so i can see what else can be done about it.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 9:20 pm

Stroller wrote:
Lophophaps wrote:Such a map can be drawn by hand.

I'm getting a little confused but interested in what you are generally suggesting Lophohaps. If i bought 1:250 maps why would i be using A4? Are you saying i would print them off hte net from somewhere? Where?

If i seem to be getting the wrong idea about the 1:250 maps could you perhaps tell me the name of hte map so i can see what else can be done about it.

I'm suggesting drawing the maps by hand. Once the scale is nutted out then draw the grids and plot the features. The small scale maps are just to give overall perspective of the AAWT and escape routes. This can be helpful with planning. I'm in the process of making up one A4 map from Thredbo to Bogong, close enough to 90 kilometres east-west and 40 kilometres north-south. This seems to be 1:300,000 for A4. I may go for 1:250,000 and spread it over several pages. I've yet to check the figures so the scale. One advantage for me in 1:250 is that I have a scale rule and can use that when drawing. I'm making the hand-drawn map from sundry maps of mine and from the book. If there are no maps then the book will suffice.

There are a few places where a good map is essential.
* Ghost Gully - off-track section
* Pilot and Cobberas if you visit them - off-track section
* Sundry parts to the Omeo Highway - track uncertain
* Viking - off-track section

The rest seems to be on tracks, barely need to navigate. Care is needed in some places where the track braids, like on the Razor.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Stroller » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 10:02 pm

hmm i'm not sure i could be bothered doing drawings i'd rather just buy the map. But its handy to know those spots where navigation will be more critical. Thanks for offering up that information. - oh hang on when you say "off track" do you mean, off route? I presume so so that means its optional.

I think i won't have time for those optional extras.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 21 Jul, 2016 7:19 am

Stroller wrote:hmm i'm not sure i could be bothered doing drawings i'd rather just buy the map. But its handy to know those spots where navigation will be more critical. Thanks for offering up that information. - oh hang on when you say "off track" do you mean, off route? I presume so so that means its optional.

I think i won't have time for those optional extras.

The off track sections means that there is no track or that the track is uncertain. It seems that the printed maps may not have as useful a coverage as a DIY version. Also, the DIY version is very light, maybe six sheets of A4.

If at all possible, places that should be visited include Cobberas region, Pilot, Main Range, Gungartan, Jagungal and a few others. This is the minimum list, with many more possibles. Most of the above add little time, a day at most. Cobberas et al will add maybe four hours. Pilot is shorter in distance and probably time, and takes in Forest Hill; Mark's suggestion is a good one. The Main Range is strongly recommended - the official route is dreadful. Gungartan to Jagungal is shorter and much nicer, nearly the last off track section for north bound, and it's brilliant easy walking.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 4:22 pm

Some sections of the AAWT have only slivers of maps, barely worth buying. Northbound from Mackays Hut there are brief forays onto adjacent maps Old Adminaby, Denison, Cabramurra and Ravine, all 1:25s. There are nearly all on 4WD tracks, so the navigation is not hard. The exception is from Happys Hut going up the hill north, or if another short-cut is taken, across Happy Jacks Plain. West of the Pilot there's another section on Gibbo. I can't see the justification in buying maps for such short sections if the navigation is easy.

Can someone please advise if the map prices are more or less the same in all shops, or if some shops have better prices? If the latter, these shops should be cited. Thanks.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Stroller » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 6:35 pm

Thanks lopho. This arvo i've been looking at the mud maps on the AAWT blog site again today and i'm wondering if you or anyone can advise about the quality of the term "defined" route. Just how defined is defined? Is the term no longer correct?
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 6:48 pm

Stroller wrote:Thanks lopho. This arvo i've been looking at the mud maps on the AAWT blog site again today and i'm wondering if you or anyone can advise about the quality of the term "defined" route. Just how defined is defined? Is the term no longer correct?

Stroller, there's a range from 4WD, foot track, pad, to scrub. The best way to assess this is to read a heap of recent notes. The book is seven years old, and much has grown in the forest since then.

As mentioned in John's notes, T Spur has needed cutting several times. I've never had any problems with T Spur. The sides of Viking can be hard to follow; the top has a nice little pad. Some people have reported a track on the sides, I could not find one. Going north from Happys Hut there's a pad. Going south I could not find it. So it may depend on direction. Work off the terrain rather than the red or black lines on the map. Terrain is fixed.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby oyster_07 » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 7:11 pm

Stroller wrote: ... i'm wondering if you or anyone can advise about the quality of the term "defined" route. Just how defined is defined? Is the term no longer correct?

Track and route condition changes with time. One year it may be clearly defines, then the next year it is a mess of braided animal tracks or a wall of vegetation, or maybe it's both.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stroller » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 9:22 pm

Thanks. That clarifies that.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 9:33 pm

Lophophaps wrote: The Main Range is strongly recommended - the official route is dreadful. Gungartan to Jagungal is shorter and much nicer, nearly the last off track section for north bound, and it's brilliant easy walking.

Except in whiteouts or blizzards. But yes, it's one of my favourite bits, wouldn't skip it for anything.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Return to AAWT