Loneliness for solo hikers on AAWT

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Loneliness for solo hikers on AAWT

Postby Stroller » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 2:33 pm

My whole trip is for a year though most of it is on a bicycle. I think the two months of this hike will be the most isolated part of it all and the time im at most risk of loneliness. I'm just wondering how you cope with it on this very long trail if you are a solo hiker.

I am pretty sure it will hit me. Forests make me feel this way if i'm not careful. It is bound to catch up with me at some point.

Have those of you who've done this hike, felt it and how did you go with it. Do you have any strategies for avoiding or minimising it?

Please lets not have a discussion about solitude and how good it is for you and so on. My question does not relate to solitude. I like solitude. This is different. I get this when i out of contact with people and particularly in forests. I can get it in beautiful landscapes where I specifically choose to be because of their natural beauty.

I like walking with others but am not expecting to find anyone to hike with me on this trip but can't let that stop me from going. I might find that i will be able to make some sort of breakthrough with this hike.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Re: Loneliness for solo hikers on AAWT

Postby scoha » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 2:49 pm

Stroller - on my 35 days i had 7 PFDs - these were what I grew to call People Free Days! I used to really enjoy these. All the other days I met people on the trail - I enjoyed these too (!).
scoha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby walkon » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 3:42 pm

When I'm on my own I don't get lonely as I'm by myself. Doesn't matter how long the trip so far. On the other hand if I'm in a room full of people and on my own that's another story.

We're all different in that respect I suppose though like scoha I just took it as it came. I do immerse myself into my surroundings taking in what's around me. It's amazing the subtle changes that go on around you in the bush.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 4:08 pm

Stroller, you have raised a valid point. I think it depends a lot on the mindset, how an individual views matters. While it's nice to be with family and friends, some people prefer to go solo for the quietness, the ability to set the pace. Having walked in groups for many years, all my trips are now solo. I've never found lonliness to be an issue, and there always seems to be plenty to do.

Last October I walked from the Hotham Road to Sheepyard Flat. I met three trail bike riders past The Twins, two people on Viking, and two people on Howitt. Once down Howitt Spur the numbers increased - vehicles on these roads and Sheepyard Flat. The I walked Tharwa to Thredbo. There were a handful of people at the start, with one party carying packs for overnight. One bushwalking party at Ghost Gully, a solo walker past there, a gaggle at Cesjacks and Mawsons, then nobody until past Blue Lakes. In all cases I stopped for a small chat, and then walked on. It was enough.

I have a collection of sudoku and crosswords, plus a non-fiction book. By careful rationing these will last the entire trip. The book weighs 150-200 grams. Weight purists will reel in horror, but I want to retain some of my sanity.

I stopped at every hut, and where possible read the log books in detail. From high points it's possible to get a mobile phone signal. From memory, I got signals at the Tennent junction, near Mt Selwyn, Jagungal, Brassy Peaks, Gungartan, the Main Range, The Twins, Viking, Speculation and Howitt. Unless you have a solar charger, don't take an iphone. Even when put into deep sleep it discharges in a week. My cheap nasty mobile has battery that can be taken out of circuit, and lasts for several weeks. It's also half the weigh of an iPhone. Maybe post a charger to Hotham or Thredbo if you intend to overnight there.

The combination of managing the usual bushwalking activities such as setting up a tent, cooking a meal, navigating, planning the next day and being aware of the surroundings takes time. Writing up the day's notes, suduko, crosswords and the book fill in the gaps.

One good things about going solo is that you can decide when to leave. Most of my days began at 6.30 am. One day was quite hard and I left at 5.20 am, pre-dawn. I arrived at camp at 12.20 pm. While others cursed the heat and flies, I was in camp, distance done for the day, supremely relaxed. On a related matter, I walked in long pants, long sleeve shirt, light cotton gloves and a broad brim hat with a flap at the back. Flies and sun did not bother me, and I did not use sunscreen. Most of my days were over by 1 pm, which was nice.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Stroller » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 5:37 pm

Speaking of flies, i have a head net, should i take it? For jan and feb?
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 5:44 pm

Stroller wrote:Speaking of flies, i have a head net, should i take it? For jan and feb?

If flies bother you, definitely. The bitey flies on the BHP & around Jagungal are particularly fierce. Also best to wear long sleeves and pants or invest in masses of insect repellent for those bits.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby peregrinator » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 7:01 pm

Stroller wrote:Speaking of flies, i have a head net, should i take it? For jan and feb?

Based on last summer, yes, most definitely. Weighs nothing.

Something that weighs something, but not a lot, is a small portable radio. Might ease your loneliness at night. I always carry one for weather and/or fire reports.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 8:45 am

There's loneliness when you are bored. Have a long list of activities and to-dos and you'll kiss loneliness goodbye.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby nihil » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 12:41 pm

I saw one couple on my way from Walhalla to Hotham (they were heading the opposite direction from Kiandra, it was inspiring). You have to confront yourself and who you are - you'll get on your nerves, make yourself laugh, sing improvised songs for 2 hours. It's personal experience that is hard to come by.
nihil
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Giddy_up » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 3:31 pm

peregrinator wrote:

Based on last summer, yes, most definitely. Weighs nothing.

Something that weighs something, but not a lot, is a small portable radio. Might ease your loneliness at night. I always carry one for weather and/or fire reports.

I second peregrinator's advice on the small radio, marvelous how listening to the weather report, some talk back or an hour of music can change your disposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Stroller » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 11:22 pm

I don't know if boredom will be a big issue for me. On my bike tours, I have lots of experience for riding eight or more hours a day and coping. and i did it without any of the gadgets that many people use such as music and things like that. I usually have creative projects for my mind to keep it going but can't do much with them with both hands on the bars or in this case whilst walking.

However this time i have lots of songs to learn to sing and singing practice to so and i will have a ipod so.

I think a radio could be a good idea but I already have so many gadgets to keep me busy even if they don't connect me up with others when there's no net. So i've no plans to buy one.

It sounds like not many hikers have experienced this issue. Maybe i won't either on my hike afterall. Maybe i'll be so busy navigating i'll be ok.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to AAWT