Desktop version
A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)
Post a reply

Hunting along the way

Wed 17 Aug, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi does anybody know some nice spots for a fish or an area with an abundance of rabbits? I have been told around the border on NSW side is common for rabbits can anyone confirm?

Re: Hunting along the way

Wed 17 Aug, 2016 9:12 pm

Pretty much all the streams along the route will have trout in them. I am planning to carry my tenkara rod (100 grams with line and flies).

As for rabbits, all of the nsw/act portion is in national parks so no hunting allowed.

Thu 18 Aug, 2016 3:41 am

Thanks, good to know. Fishing it is then. When are you doing your trip Mark? I would love to hear about how it went afterwards.

Thu 18 Aug, 2016 7:23 pm

Just remember that if you plan to fish along the way that you need both a Victorian and a NSW recreational fishing license.

Thu 18 Aug, 2016 8:08 pm

I am planning for a relaxed trip of about 50 days with several side trips especially Feathertop and Bogong extensions in November/December. Currently wrestling with n-s or s-n as I did Tharwa - Hotham a few years ago. S-n should ensure I complete the missing section from my previous trip but n-s allows my ancient body to build up for the hardest section (Hotham-Walhalla) rather than hitting it first up. Also n-s, the sun is on your back rather than in your eyes.

From your other thread on shoes, I am using Salomon Synapse which are quite light, but have proved adequately durable for the walk. Unfortunately seem to have morphed into snowboarding boots! and I am trying work out the new equivalent.
Post a reply