GPS points - I think i've missed something

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

GPS points - I think i've missed something

Postby Stroller » Sat 24 Sep, 2016 6:01 pm

Where do i get the GPS numbers from to make my way points with?

I thought they might be in the guide book but when i looked just now, i don't see them. How do i find out what they are.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Re: GPS points - I think i've missed something

Postby Mark F » Sat 24 Sep, 2016 6:27 pm

You can get a set of kml or gpx files at http://www.johnevans.id.au/Pages/KC/KCAAWT.html#Day12NC. You need to consider whether they represent the route you want to take and whether the creator of the files made any navigational blunders. The files at the url above are 6 years old and there have been a couple of changes to the route since then.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Stroller » Sun 25 Sep, 2016 8:15 am

Actually i've seen something similar but can't remember where i got it or put the bookmark. Where do other people get the numbers from. How do these work. I'm using shonkymaps - if i can figure out how to get them working. Don't worry someone I trust knows what they are doing, recommended them to me.

Also do i need to set up all my waypoints before i leave home. Am i not able to put them in along the way?
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GBW » Sun 25 Sep, 2016 10:18 am

Download the files from where Mark has suggested. Open it in Basecamp and you can review the tracks and waypoints. Add more from Chapmans book if you want, plug in your Etrex then send the lot to your GPS. If you're not sure how to do this you need a crash course in the use of Basecamp... there's quite a bit of info on the internet on how to do this. Adding all the waypoints manually is a slow process...it's much easier to do it from within Basecamp where you click and add.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Stroller » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 8:02 pm

I've got chapman's book but can't find them. I had thought they were in there. Are they the numbers called GR. I have seen some but not routinely. I am so freaking useless at this stuff I'll probably end up not using my etrex at all.

The GPX file looks like this when i open it ias that right. Should i leave the extension as it is. Or change it to what exactly? Its got gpx.webarchive on it currently.

<html><head></head><body><pre style="word-wrap: break-word; white-space: pre-wrap;">&lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?&gt;
&lt;gpx xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" creator="MapSource 6.13.7" version="1.1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3 http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExt ... ionsv3.xsd http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd"&gt;

&lt;metadata&gt;
&lt;link href="http://www.garmin.com"&gt;
&lt;text&gt;Garmin International&lt;/text&gt;
&lt;/link&gt;
&lt;time&gt;2010-07-19T20:20:37Z&lt;/time&gt;
&lt;bounds maxlat="-37.9210320" maxlon="146.4510280" minlat="-37.9533260" minlon="146.3843470"/&gt;
&lt;/metadata&gt;

&lt;wpt lat="-37.9323950" lon="146.4488050"&gt;
&lt;ele&gt;351.0000000&lt;/ele&gt;
&lt;time&gt;2010-03-08T20:47:59Z&lt;/time&gt;
&lt;name&gt;D00 WALHALLA C W&lt;/name&gt;
&lt;sym&gt;Flag, Red&lt;/sym&gt;
&lt;extensions&gt;
&lt;gpxx:WaypointExtension xmlns:gpxx="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3"&gt;
&lt;gpxx:DisplayMode&gt;SymbolAndName&lt;/gpxx:DisplayMode&gt;
&lt;gpxx:Categories&
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 8:13 pm

A GPX file can be read by Mapsource or your Etrex as a track.
The grid references in the book are more for use with a paper map.
GPS waypoints will be much more accurate.

I'd suggest you find someone who can sit with you and show you how it works. Your friend with the Shonkymaps perhaps.
It is really simpe once you know what it's all about.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bernieq » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 10:06 pm

Hi Stroller, it IS pretty easy .... once you know how (like most things).

You have the GPS - good - that's what you need in the field (as well as compass, paper map). You also need
a mapping program on your computer (Basecamp - it's a free Garmin download)
electronic maps (eg shonky - although I use andrewp's OSM map - thanks, Andrew)

BTW, waypoints are named points on your electronic map (usually corresponding to an important navigation place or feature on a paper map). Tracks are a collection of line segments that define a path on the electronic map (and marks the way you want to go on the paper map).

The idea is, before the walk, to load the GPS with all the waypoints and tracks you will need. It's possible to enter waypoints as you go but it's not the norm.

How to load them on your GPS? Well, almost never by typing in the grid reference numbers. Using Basecamp, you can create waypoints and tracks on the electronic map. Once all done, these can be dowloaded to your GPS.

So, what's the gpx and kml all about? gpx is the file extension (eg AAWTsection1.gpx) for tracks and waypoints intented for a GPS. kml is the extension for Google Earth files (and some GPSs can read them as well as gpx files - and GE can also read gpx files :? )

Also, img files are maps that Garmin GPSs can display (eg Walhalla.img).

Finally, the Chapman GR numbers (eg GR408683) are Grid References that relate to a point on a paper map but it's not easy to turn them into a full GPS waypoint - possible, but not easy.

Hope this helps a little - it really is easier to learn in person - and there is a lot of other stuff not mentioned here (eg map datums and how to relate a GPS position to a paper map).

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Stroller » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 4:56 am

Thanks for your effort Bernie but almost all the things you explained were already clear enough. Those things are not the problem.

yes GR the grid reference bit i did not know and your post has clarified that for me.

So anyway i seem to have hit another right button tonight and I think i' might have the shonky's in the right place now. Still haven't checked the gadget. There was some downloading thing that was going on for an hour. It had something to do with map manager.

I think what i'm going to end up doing is knocking on someone's door in Melbourne crying "help me" like the fairly useless person i feel right now.

I'm pretty tied up with other stuff before my departure from home on Friday and if i put that aside in favour of working out this wretched contraption, then I will probably leaving home without half my stuff and various other major problems.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 29 Sep, 2016 1:40 pm

I'm pretty sure there's a thread in this forum that explains how to convert a six-digit grid reference to a useable set of co-ordinates. Do a search and you should be able to find it. Or google it - there are simple explanations out there.
You then have to make sure your GPS navigation system is set to UTM and not Lat/Long. It should then be possible to manually enter individual waypoints.

It would be simpler to find a complete GPX file for the AAWT - again, there's a thread on here somewhere that has a link to one - and load that.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to AAWT