Hammock for the AAWT?

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Hammock for the AAWT?

Postby Cam2337 » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 1:24 pm

Hey There!
I was just wondering if a hammock setup would be suitable along this trail?
I have moved to my hammock setup and would prefer it over a tent setup any day, however conditions permitting it may not be suitable and I might have to go to ground.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks Heaps,

Cam
Cam2337
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat 07 Jan, 2017 1:12 pm
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male

Re: Hammock for the AAWT?

Postby north-north-west » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 6:44 pm

It depends on your exact route and where you plan to camp, but there are sections where its use may be problematic. I think the biggest issue is that it's not as practical as an emergency shelter in the more exposed areas.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
User avatar
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 9987
Joined: Thu 14 May, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: The Asylum
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: Hammock for the AAWT?

Postby Cam2337 » Tue 15 Aug, 2017 6:42 pm

north-north-west wrote:It depends on your exact route and where you plan to camp, but there are sections where its use may be problematic. I think the biggest issue is that it's not as practical as an emergency shelter in the more exposed areas.

Yeah that was my major concern. I guess you cant go wrong with a tent. I will just have to find a lightweight mat that is comfortable enough to actually sleep on! hahaha.
thanks,
Cam2337
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat 07 Jan, 2017 1:12 pm
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male

Re: Hammock for the AAWT?

Postby madmacca » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 1:02 am

Cam2337 wrote:
north-north-west wrote:It depends on your exact route and where you plan to camp, but there are sections where its use may be problematic. I think the biggest issue is that it's not as practical as an emergency shelter in the more exposed areas.

Yeah that was my major concern. I guess you cant go wrong with a tent. I will just have to find a lightweight mat that is comfortable enough to actually sleep on! hahaha.
thanks,


The Exped Synmats or the Neoairs are worth a look - comfortable, light and warm.
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri 14 Oct, 2011 11:18 pm
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: Hammock for the AAWT?

Postby Cam2337 » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks, I have been looking at the Nemo Tensor range aswell? I am a side sleeper and i have tried the sea to summit ultralight before but it was horrible for me! hahaha
Cam2337
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat 07 Jan, 2017 1:12 pm
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male

Re: Hammock for the AAWT?

Postby Dreamer » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 9:22 am

I have the Nemo Tensor 20R insulated mummy. I'm a side sleeper and find this mat excellent - the best I've ever had. It is relatively warm (good insulation), quiet compared to others (silky feel to surface), light at 398g and provides very good support. I find the mummy shape is also wide enough for me, no need to for the extra weight of the large width or rectangle shape.
Dreamer
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 9:55 am
Region: South Australia

Re: Hammock for the AAWT?

Postby Cam2337 » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 2:54 pm

Dreamer wrote:I have the Nemo Tensor 20R insulated mummy. I'm a side sleeper and find this mat excellent - the best I've ever had. It is relatively warm (good insulation), quiet compared to others (silky feel to surface), light at 398g and provides very good support. I find the mummy shape is also wide enough for me, no need to for the extra weight of the large width or rectangle shape.

Awesome! Do you find the 20inch width too narrow? I am 6ft 3 but fairly lean at 80kg.
Cam2337
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat 07 Jan, 2017 1:12 pm
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male

Re: Hammock for the AAWT?

Postby Dreamer » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 6:45 pm

No, I'm 6ft and 79kg and I don't find it too narrow, although that's probably personal preference. The 20R is also plenty long enough for me. A narrower mat is lighter and the 20R only takes me (less than) 10 full breathes to fully inflate. The valve is quite simple, not as sophisticated as some (like S2S) but that does not really worry me. I stress that this mat is a very comfortable light (even ultralight) weight option, it's not an extreme thick, wide luxury option.
Dreamer
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 9:55 am
Region: South Australia

Re: Hammock for the AAWT?

Postby Cam2337 » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 11:02 am

Dreamer wrote:No, I'm 6ft and 79kg and I don't find it too narrow, although that's probably personal preference. The 20R is also plenty long enough for me. A narrower mat is lighter and the 20R only takes me (less than) 10 full breathes to fully inflate. The valve is quite simple, not as sophisticated as some (like S2S) but that does not really worry me. I stress that this mat is a very comfortable light (even ultralight) weight option, it's not an extreme thick, wide luxury option.

Thanks Heaps. I really appreciate the info.
Cam2337
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat 07 Jan, 2017 1:12 pm
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male


Return to AAWT

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest