water points between Hotham and Howitt

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

water points between Hotham and Howitt

Postby skotty_aus » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 9:21 pm

Gday all...

Im planning a little schoolies hike for the end of the year, and plan to hike from Falls to Hotham via Bogong, then Hotham to Howitt, a loop around Howitt and then to Buller.

I have pretty much mapped out the route, and I have done the Hotham to Howitt section before, but for the life of me I can not remenber the water places.

Heres the plan from Hotham

Leave hotham full of water (no water at Twins Saddle).
Night at Twins Saddle.
Night around Sth Selwyn (water at the cross-ways i believe).
Night at Barrys (water??)
Night at Viking (water??)
Night in Wonangatta (river)
Night at Howitt (Mac. Springs).

If anyone knows, that would be ace!

And also, if anyone knows a good way to hike from Howitt to Buller in 2/3 days, any info is muchly appriciated!

Thanks
Alex
skotty_aus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: water points between Hotham and Howitt

Postby north-north-west » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 7:14 pm

There are a couple of reliable trickles on the Twins 4WD track, but not on the section of the AAWT that goes over the Twins and Wongungarra. Once you're back on the 4WD track,there are often dribs and drabs, but nothing major or reliable. The only reliable water would be to drop down to the river after you're past the Mt Murray turnoff. It's not too far.

I've only done this section of the AAWT once (OK, twice, but that was there and back in the one trip) and the memory is rather vague on some of the details. You can get water near Selwyn Sth, down . . . Canyon Road? I think it is . . . but I don't recall anything near the crossroads. A short walk back up the vehicle track once you're back on it after dropping down from Selwyn Sth, AFAICR. I did cross a couple of trickles between there and the next major junction to the west (Humfray's/Whites) one which has changed considerably since my map of the area was published.
Then there's the water tank near the junction east of Barry Saddle. That's the last reliable water on the ridgeline. Camp Creek (Mt Spec car park) is sometimes dry by midsummer, although it's been a wet winter and so should be OK, ditto the creeks that run down from Catherine Pass. It's a long and hard walk down to the river and back up, though - wouldn't it be better to get to Howitt via the Crosscut?
Macallister Springs is also often reduced to a drip - or less - in dry conditions, but should be OK this summer.
From the Barry water tank to Catherine Pass, there's no water. The Razor and the Viking are dry as, unless it's actually raining at the time.

From Howitt to Buller you have a range of options.
There are tracks down Howitt Spur and Stanley's Name Spur to the upper Howqua valley, plus a rougher route down Queen's spur from Mt Buggery. From there you could link up with the Mt Thorn track onto Stirling.
Or you can continue on the AAWT over Magdala, and head down over Picture Pt and Lovick to the Bluff Hut. The only access up to Buller that I know of from those areas, however, is on 4WD tracks. Open 4WD tracks.
That's all my maps show too - although there are bound to be ski runs for some of the distance that would be walkable.

Enjoy. It sounds like a lot of hard work and fun.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Steven » Fri 06 Aug, 2010 7:57 pm

There is a track up eight mile spur. The track starts near Gardiners Hut and crosses the Howqua River. It is a fairly easy track and marked with Orange triangles (in fact it used to be used for the JlW Challenge that was run, paddle, cycle from Mt Buller to Melbourne). I have walked this track twice - once in summer and once in winter. It will take you about 4 hours to meet the lower ski runs of Mt Buller. Highly recommended
Steven
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 6:42 pm

Yeah, but that's miles up the river. South west of the summit, rather than east. Looks further than they could do from Howitt in three days.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Bodysurfer » Wed 01 Sep, 2010 8:30 am

There is usually water at Viking Saddle. There is an obvious track on the northern side that leads down a gully. The drier it is, the further you have to go down. You may need a cup to get the water into a bottle.

There is also water on the south side of the ridge between Viking Saddle and Mt Despair. Could be 30 mins return, watch out for the nettles!
Bodysurfer
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby gmac » Sun 17 Oct, 2010 9:09 pm

I spent a night at Viking Saddle last November after coming in off track over the Razor from Razor track with a couple of fellow walkers and found sufficient water for the 3 of us on the northern side. (Also found water on the Razor at the opposite end from the AAWT) Have also taken water from Camp Creek in Feb this year and the flow was really good and cold.

Camp Creek has been known to slow right down in very dry condions and I think it was about 3-4 years ago when Macallister Springs dried up.

I was also shown a good watering point just off Stanley's Named Spur prior to the steep climb/scramble up to the Crosscut. It was located just near a saddle that would make a good camping spot.

I know that the situation is always changing but I hope that assists.

gmac
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Return to AAWT